The mysterious mooring rings of Claydon

Athy

Featured Posts

At the weekend we moored in an exceedingly pleasant spot just through the bridge above Claydon top lock. One good feature of the mooring was the presence of mooring rings - lots of them, spaced five or six yards apart, then two yards apart, and repeating that pattern for about 100 yards.

Now, I thought that mooring rings were generally provided either where there are designated long-term moorings, or for visitor moorings at a place of interest. With all respect to the attractive village of Claydon, nearly a mile from the canal, it has no shops and (now) no pub and would not seem to be a magnet for visitors. So why should there be this generous provison of rings? Perhaps this was a former long-term mooring site or a former commercial wharf? I hope somebody can enlighten me.

Yes, we clocked that and thus moored "safely" in the middle of the straight bit - only for a boat coming up from the lock to hit us! It was pouring with rain and he had apparently been unable to control his umbrella and his boat simultaneously. He did apologise, but it was the sort of incident which defies the best laid plans.

• Greenie 1

We quite often have bollards (some times rings) at random places and they (the bollards in the main) often date back to the commercial use of the local waterways and a bit of investigation reveals they are at the former site of a colliery, coal loading wharf or other commercial use.

its what I love about being on the canals, traveling around and discovering new bits of the country and history which has been hidden away and can only be found by traveling at a slower speed! boat.gif

I guess that in the Claydon area the commercial use would have to be agricultural. Lack of coal mines has always been a feature of North Oxfordshire. One possible clue is that just through the bridge (144 from memory), at the top lock, is a rather fine house which used to be the Oxford Canal Company's workshops - so perhaps the rings were originally installed for the tying up of the company's work boats. Or perhaps (less likely) this was the training ground for apprentice bankside maintenance staff.

Apart from the rings, the only other facility for boaters in this pastoral spot is the sale of home-made scones at this house!

It can get quite busy at the top lock. I have seen a queue of boats through the bridge hole. However that don't offer an explanation the the spacing of the rings.

We have moored there a number of times. It IS true the wind does get windy there, to our enjoyment and sometimes fear of having Nightwatch reshaped.

Martyn

At the weekend we moored in an exceedingly pleasant spot just through the bridge above Claydon top lock. One good feature of the mooring was the presence of mooring rings - lots of them, spaced five or six yards apart, then two yards apart, and repeating that pattern for about 100 yards.

Now, I thought that mooring rings were generally provided either where there are designated long-term moorings, or for visitor moorings at a place of interest. With all respect to the attractive village of Claydon, nearly a mile from the canal, it has no shops and (now) no pub and would not seem to be a magnet for visitors. So why should there be this generous provison of rings? Perhaps this was a former long-term mooring site or a former commercial wharf? I hope somebody can enlighten me.

That is where I was moored when your landlord twatted me with his pair, only gently I might add. (No I am not having a go, honestly)

That is where I was moored when your landlord twatted me with his pair, only gently I might add. (No I am not having a go, honestly)

Hi. I know you're not. Gregg can be a bit boisterous, I've heard him having a go at passing boats passing the farm a little quicker than perhaps they should do. But deep down he's okay.

Martyn.

Perhaps he didn't wish to give DC the impression that he was ignoring him.

If the wind's in the right direction at Forge Farm you may have heard me voicing an opinion on the speed of a passing boat - though, as happened yesterday morning, it may be a compliment because they have passed on tickover.

So, no solution as yet to the Mystery of the Rings.

I believe these are Oxford Canal company moorings probably the original ones.

The moorings are quite deep and hence ideal for mooring working boats.

There used to be hedges along this stretch but have gone over the years, which makes the prevailing wind push passers by into anything moored.

Maybe this has something to do with the rings ???

"At Claydon Top Lock is a collection of canal company maintenance buildings, possibly original, and there is also a large warehouse on the offside at King’s Sutton Lock. Many other ancillary buildings by the locks, such as stabling or stores, are either ruinous or have been demolished."

Taken from a planning/conservation appraisal document sometime or other

Link here http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CD8QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.southnorthants.gov.uk%2FOxford_Canal_CA_pages_1-40.pdf&ei=oZxlUuPQHseBhAfx14HgAw&usg=AFQjCNFkFbUA5KNuhAPTNvwflg9gAX5TqQ&sig2=WnfObBUnk4hym4OM2DkeJA&bvm=bv.54934254,d.Yms