Self pump out into a container

Macc Lad

Featured Posts

OK You have said that you use an Aquaroll, or similar, which has two openings. One on the end and one on the side. Having used aquarolls when caravanning, I know that they are not built for lifting and tipping upside down to empty, never mind opening the other opening to avoid splash backs. Casettes, on the other hand are built for purpose so there are suitable hand holds in the right places and there is a breathe hole conveniently situated. All this means that there should be less likelihood of spillage when emptying one. Emptying an aquaroll on the other hand, I would think would be a risky business! I, like others fail to see why you self pumpout into containers as a matter of course (different if you are iced in). It sounds like making a lot of work for yourself.

haggs

Edited by haggis

I have never really understood self pump outs and even less self pumping out into containers.

The whole point of having a pump out is that you don't have to deal with your waste!

If you don't want to pay to get rid of your waste get a bloody cassette loo (or similar)

Thanks Haggis,

i sort of see where your coming from. But I don't think 200lts or so,twice a year on ave,in my case (cant speak for others) over the last 5yrs, Decanted Through necessity ,not preference (but I was glad I had the option). Would be termed as a matter of course exactly . But would obviously be a terrible arraignment if done regular. yes.

Oh dear,,I've got a headache

,,I'm going to the loo,or is that classed as a 'Dump Out' & subject to a whole other set of what's acceptable.

Let's see what els (on) is happening.

Cheers peeps, & don't forget to wash your hands.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

I AM HAVING MY DINNER, SHUT UP !!!

You are the one SHOUTING tongue.png (Not that upper case bothers me in the least, you will understand.)

I have never really understood self pump outs and even less self pumping out into containers.

The whole point of having a pump out is that you don't have to deal with your waste!

If you don't want to pay to get rid of your waste get a bloody cassette loo (or similar)

Must say this has always been my take on it. I have often wondered about fitting a tank/pumpout to save lifting as my back condition deteriorates. But if I did I wouldn't want to start handballing multiple containers about, and storing/wrapping up pipes and pumps that have just pumped effluent. I would much sooner empty a humble cassette than do all that!

Not very public spirited to pump out into an Elsan point. They are not designed to handle that amount of waste.

There was a thread here recently of someone who had done that and the elsan point had waste ( P & S ) which had overflowed out onto the path.

inside.JPG

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=59606&hl=elsan Courtesy of Dean S

Who would like to arrive and be greeted by this?

So, to get things straight, is this the result of trying to pump to much down the elsan or some poor soul who needs to see a doctor with a bad case of the trots?

At the end of the day I produce no more natural waste than someone with a porta potti but I have to pay to dispose of mine, porta potty owners on the whole dont. We both pay the same licence fee so therefore IF the elsan point is capable of taking a pump out I so no reason why people should not use it.

Yes, but you may well produce considerably more sewage by overall volume.

The typical amount of flush water used by most pump-out loos I have seen is far, far higher than the stingy amounts that tend to be used to flush a cassette or porta-potti type loo.

So I would argue that "self pumper outers" actually put far more overall volume of effluent into those Elsan points than is produced by people with cassettes, (and similar eating habits!).

Given that the vast majority of Elsan points seem to be served by cesspits of a fixed capacity, rather than discharge into sewers, it seems possible, as a minimum, that if a lot of self-PO goes on at one, it will need a tanker to it considerably more often.

Perhaps it is banned at some not because the facility can't deal with the rate of self pump-out as it is occurring, but because simply the rate at which the tankage fills is too high overall?

Whatever you think of the practice, it is certainly the case that many were never actually intended for the use to which they are now put.

2, Why do people still think that it is acceptable for several boat owners & cassette users to cue,use & POUR up to 2 X 40ltr cassettes (in some cases,@ theas astonishingly busy facilities as I have been led to believe using comments from this thread) in 1 go.

What's this obsession people seem to have with the idea of cassettes containing 40 litres?

There is no such ting, is there?

Please post links to data on cassettes that will hold anything significantly more than half that amount.

Must say this has always been my take on it. I have often wondered about fitting a tank/pumpout to save lifting as my back condition deteriorates. But if I did I wouldn't want to start handballing multiple containers about, and storing/wrapping up pipes and pumps that have just pumped effluent. I would much sooner empty a humble cassette than do all that!

Nor would I with my back, I am having problems getting out of bed at the moment, the thought of trying to get a cassette out of the boat makes it hurt.

Thetford C2, Thetford C3 & Thetford C4 Cassette Holding Tanks and Spare Parts. Includes all parts available for the holding tank together with the Thetford part numbers. Capacity of flush tank (upper) is 15L, capacity of waste (bottom) tank is 20L For repair instructions please click on the 'Sales Information' tab below.

From here: http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/water/thetford_cassette_toilets/thetford_c2_thetford_c3__thetford_c4_cassette_holding_tanks_and_spare_parts.aspx

Your average Porta Potti is less:

The Porta Potti Qube 145 is a basic model portable toilet with a natural seating height an a high capacity waste-holding tank.
Grey finish with manual pump. Integrated pour out spout and cover lock. Includes free 150ml Aqua Kem + 150ml Aqua Rinse.
white_pixel.gifthetford_logo.jpgwhite_pixel.gif
Further Details
  • Modern, refreshed design Improved valve handle system
  • Improved carry handle of the waste holding tank
  • Improved seating comfort
  • Waste tank capacity: : 12L
  • Flush water tank capacity: : 15L
  • Toilet weight: : 3.6 KG
  • Dimensions: : 330 x 383 x 427 mm

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/home/product_49484/thetford_porta_potti_qube_145.aspx

Edited by Ray T

As I said,my information was based on comments made by others in this thread,I've never had a cassette,so don't know,pls see post 7.

Hope this helps clarify the 40ltr obsession.

& please,please take the time to re read my post 10 whilst down that end,before it all got a bit silly.

Thanks.

Yes, but you may well produce considerably more sewage by overall volume.

The typical amount of flush water used by most pump-out loos I have seen is far, far higher than the stingy amounts that tend to be used to flush a cassette or porta-potti type loo.

So I would argue that "self pumper outers" actually put far more overall volume of effluent into those Elsan points than is produced by people with cassettes, (and similar eating habits!).

Given that the vast majority of Elsan points seem to be served by cesspits of a fixed capacity, rather than discharge into sewers, it seems possible, as a minimum, that if a lot of self-PO goes on at one, it will need a tanker to it considerably more often.

Perhaps it is banned at some not because the facility can't deal with the rate of self pump-out as it is occurring, but because simply the rate at which the tankage fills is too high overall?

Whatever you think of the practice, it is certainly the case that many were never actually intended for the use to which they are now put.

What's this obsession people seem to have with the idea of cassettes containing 40 litres?

There is no such ting, is there?

Please post links to data on cassettes that will hold anything significantly more than half that amount.

Most people have two, at least...

.......Given that the vast majority of Elsan points seem to be served by cesspits of a fixed capacity, rather than discharge into sewers........

Where's the evidence for this?

I'd be very surprised if that was the case, and not surprised if it was the other way round.

Back in BW days I arrived at an Elsan point that clearly said " No Pump Out" A boater was happily pumping out his tank into it while a BW guy was chatting to him. Hearing my sidekick comment about the sign the BW guy said " it means no pump out is installed here thats all. You can pump out with your own kit though" The boater took ages to do it and it was a while before us cassette guys could get at it. OK I'm impatient , but it was nearly pub o clock. Irritating but ok I suppose. Far better than the liveaboard I saw emptying a cassette into the K & A a while back. BW weren't the slightest bit interested when we complained about it!

Seems to me that you can can it, pump it cassette or chuck it.Grim huh!

Ime pretty sure the Elson type disposal points I have decanterd into on the few occations I've actually used theas type of facilitys, are ALL 'mains' connected.

Eg (,Keynsham Marina,, & Datchet Marina,,I think) Then Medway Bridge Marina, ,Gillingham Marina,, Cuxton Marina,, Hoo Marina,, Litthampton Marina. ect. Most visited during the last 5yrs, & during Marina opening times, most was free to use, All with no problems / blockages & used without the stigma being attached of it being an antisocial to other boaters.

It must be a canal thing.

Ime pretty sure the Elson type disposal points I have decanterd into on the few occations I've actually used theas type of facilitys, are ALL 'mains' connected.

Eg (,Keynsham Marina,, & Datchet Marina,,I think) Then Medway Bridge Marina, ,Gillingham Marina,, Cuxton Marina,, Hoo Marina,, Litthampton Marina. ect. Most visited during the last 5yrs, & during Marina opening times, most was free to use, All with no problems / blockages & used without the stigma being attached of it being an antisocial to other boaters comments.

It must be a canal thing.

Hi,

Not always the case - Cowroast Marina (BWML) and Cart facilities at Cowroast both cesspits.

L