Concentration in locks

Rufford

Featured Posts

As many of you may know I have a Large Northwich, which is 71ft and 6 inches long. There is nothing like sharing a lock with one solitary duck to focus concentration. Thankfully the duck was fine and as soon as the lock was full hopped out on to the bank. Have any of you shared a lock with ducks before?

As many of you may know I have a Large Northwich, which is 71ft and 6 inches long. There is nothing like sharing a lock with one solitary duck to focus concentration. Thankfully the duck was fine and as soon as the lock was full hopped out on to the bank. Have any of you shared a lock with ducks before?

Yes - but in our case it had the sense to ride on the roof. This was on the T&M when we were doing the Leicester ring as hire boaters.

The american lady hire boater working the lock for us thought it was great.

IMG_0160.jpg

Both at Callcut Locks and one of the Hatton locks had families of swans share the lock, going in before the boat(s). In both cases they kept well away from the boat(s) and exited as soon as the gates were open.

In both cases no amount of cajoling would get them out of the lock on their way in. It appeared this was a well practised procedure on their part

Yes, a bunch of ducklings and their mum in one of the Wolverhampton 21. Didn't notice them until the gate was closed and paddles up. All went well though. Seemed like they've done it loads of times! Same patient faces as commuters in an elevator.

Both at Callcut Locks and one of the Hatton locks had families of swans share the lock, going in before the boat(s). In both cases they kept well away from the boat(s) and exited as soon as the gates were open.

In both cases no amount of cajoling would get them out of the lock on their way in. It appeared this was a well practised procedure on their part

Yes - that's happened to us quite a few times on the Leeds Liverpool I suppose they prefer it to walking.

We have shared locks with ducks, swans, geese and a seal at Boston Grand Sluice although we were on freeflow so im not sure that counts.

Oh and several dead animals as well. Do they count? They were dead when we entered the lock by the way.

Had the same thing with a swan at Swineford lock on the river Avon. Every time you opened the bottom gates, it would go in, lock up, leave through the top and then swim over the weir to get back down and then do it again!

Angel, the swan with the damaged wing at branston water park often shares the lock, but will sometimes walk up the side and get in the lock as we are leaving then swims out while Sue holds the gate open.

We have a goose with angel wings at Burton Waters. It isn't damaged wings it's a defect caused by malnutrition.

Does your swan have the same I wonder?

We have a goose with angel wings at Burton Waters. It isn't damaged wings it's a defect caused by malnutrition.

Does your swan have the same I wonder?

Almost certainly.

There is a theory that being fed too much white bread when a signet can cause the effect called angel wings where the feathers don't form properly and they are left with just the central quill cores.

It's why he got christened Angel.

Edited because you has already said about angel wings. Sorry.

Edited by Suzie_q

We popped a duck once in a lock - it kept swimming up the side and there was no way I could keep boat away. Proper crisp-packet job. It was horrible. It did however encourage the over boisterous child with us at the time to stay still - we reminded her that the same thing happens to little girls who don't take care, but little girls are messier when they squish. Lyraboat may have seen us!

No, but I once saw a duck explode when it got trapped between the bank and a narrowboat. (not mine)

Bob

Had a similar experience years ago when the kids were younger and with us. Going up the Oxford flight by the Folly Duck and ducklings followed us in. We were unaware initially but only duck and duckling emerged. I am still reminded of my murdourous tendencies from time to time.

Edited by Tuscan