Morso Squirrel door rope size

Wanted

Featured Posts

Evenin, shock horror I actually have a question about boats, or at least the stove in my boat!

Can any of you fine fellows tell me the size of the fire rope that seals the door on a morso squirrel?

From what I can see its cheaper to buy rope and glue separately rather than in Morso kit form!

Cheers

Rob

Evenin, shock horror I actually have a question about boats, or at least the stove in my boat!

Can any of you fine fellows tell me the size of the fire rope that seals the door on a morso squirrel?

From what I can see its cheaper to buy rope and glue separately rather than in Morso kit form!

Cheers

Rob

I bought 6mm for ours and it was still tight when first put on. I even had to take the core out of it to make it a little thinner. Don't get 8mm you won't close the door.

8mm for the door

6mm for the glass

Make sure you properly clean out the channel in the door, (I used a rotary wire brush in t'drill

Remove dust, wipe with white spirit

Use a thin bead of rope glue

And, as Churchward mentioed, it takes a little time to bed in.

(learned by experience)

Edited by Grace & Favour

You are absolutely right! Thank you

still can't shut the door though....

No I can shut the door. I wire brushed the stove itself and that made a difference too...there was some old rope stuck on it.

I've found that the 'groove' round the inside of the door is best cleaned out with a rotary wire brush in an electric drill, a thin bead of rope cement applied, and thenthe rope tamped in..(I use 8mm rope with the centre core left in it)

Replaced ours at the weekend - 8mm rope - unstripped.

A bit snug when first in, but we used the stove for the 5 nights we were on board and now it is well bedded in and doing the job.

Thanks for the good suggestions above.

Take the door off

Good wire brushing to rope groove AND to stove body

Wipe down with white spirit and allow to dry

Cut new rope slightly oversize so it can be properly wedged into the corners

Bob's your Uncle....

• 9 years later...

Fresh post on an old topic... I did thoroughly clean the rope groove of my Morso 1412 (ribbed sides, no squirrel), and put in 8mm rope, but after that it was impossible to close the door, however much pressure I applied to it. I was actually inclined to go for 6mm rope, but this forum seems to disagree with me 😞

• 4 months later...
On 04/10/2023 at 20:43, gaetano said:

Fresh post on an old topic... I did thoroughly clean the rope groove of my Morso 1412 (ribbed sides, no squirrel), and put in 8mm rope, but after that it was impossible to close the door, however much pressure I applied to it. I was actually inclined to go for 6mm rope, but this forum seems to disagree with me 😞

well, I am clearly loosing the plot because I have just bought some new rope for a different squirrel than the one I was referring to 10 years back in my OP and I can’t get the door to close! A search on google took me to my old post which I forgot about! 😂

I don’t remember what worked last time, but this time I’m going to get some 6mm and see how it goes! 

see you in 10 years time!