Boat Safety Prep - Let's create a Master List

DeanS

Featured Posts

Shorepower, Junk, Horn, tunnel lamp, paint engine bay? Really? Why are these part of the BSS?

Checks on shore power leads and other 240V systems (mostly advisory at the moment) came in with the new checks at the start of this year.

Anything in a gas locker that could block the drains, damage any part of the gas system, or ignite leaking LPG is a fail.

There is an advisory check that all 12V DC systems use two wires, rather than using the boat's hull as a negative. The tunnel lamp is often one of the items that may fall foul of this check.

A well painted engine bay is not part of any check in the BSS, but it is generally a good idea.

Checks on shore power leads and other 240V systems (mostly advisory at the moment) came in with the new checks at the start of this year.

Anything in a gas locker that could block the drains, damage any part of the gas system, or ignite leaking LPG is a fail.

There is an advisory check that all 12V DC systems use two wires, rather than using the boat's hull as a negative. The tunnel lamp is often one of the items that may fall foul of this check.

A well painted engine bay is not part of any check in the BSS, but it is generally a good idea.

Out of interest why would this be an issue? I know both our horn and tunnel light use twin wiring for both but I can see why somebody might think it easier to use the hull for the neg......

Just curious.

Out of interest why would this be an issue? I know both our horn and tunnel light use twin wiring for both but I can see why somebody might think it easier to use the hull for the neg......

Just curious.

Well I didn't write the check, so I'm not certain of the rationale, but I suspect it's because if the hull is used as the negative, there's a larger chance that somebody or something might find themselves the path of least resistance between a positive wire and the hull than they would positive and negative wires. Of course, having electrical currents running through a steel hull isn't a good idea anyway, at least if you want your steel to remain in that form and not corrode away.

As I said, it's an advisory check, so you'll still pass the BSS with that sort of setup, it's just reminding people that it's not best practise.

• 1 month later...

Is the date on the fire extinguishers a problem. All my dry powder ones have the pressure in the green but they haven't gone out for an inspection/test for the past 9 years

I thought the date was a problem, apparently not as long as the pressure is there. We have extinguishers that were purchased in 2005 that passed a BSS 4 months ago.

I thought the date was a problem, apparently not as long as the pressure is there. We have extinguishers that were purchased in 2005 that passed a BSS 4 months ago.

According to the bloke who did our BSS there have been a few cases of older extinguishers failing to work even though they showed a good pressure.

This could obviously be somewhat inconvenient in certain situations!, He suggested replacing them every 5 years or so though. I noted recently that Midland Chandlers do a half decent trade in on the old ones. Ours are now 12 years old so I will replace them all next year.

Might get drunk first, pretend to be a student, and set the old ones off.

...........Dave

Did I miss a post under another heading? or should we presume it failed?

Well considering I fitted the entire boat myself, I was quite happy that he only wanted 2 items changed before passing it.

1. A flexible hose connection to the cooker instead of a fixed pipe. (the fittings have now arrived).

2. Additional door vents to compensate for the 7KW stove and large cooker.

Both will be sorted on Sunday :-)

I will reiterate..items that other have mentioned...where I 'failed'.

I had 'in date...kitemarked ' fire extinguishers..but they failed...as there is a certain 'spec' for marine extinguishers...so check the numbers on them against current BSS listing.

I had a single 'coil' in the copper fuel hose for my Eberspacher..using up some slack..(like boats used to do)..but apparently...you can't do this any more.

I 'thought' I had gauze in the fuel tank vent...but didnt.

My gas test point...was on the cooker itself..and apparently the examiner is not allowed to remove the stove....so I had to do it while he was there.

I agree with others...don't loverdo it...each examiner has different priorities.

By the way...when I sold my boat..a year after the BSS...the same examiner...(Steve Hand) was the surveyor for the purchaser.

As I handed it over..he was there rewiring the Travelpower.

When queried..he said that many were orginally wired with live to boat hull..which had caused some fatalities and also corrodes the hull.

I was amazed...when he told me that it wasn't a BSS fail..!!

Well considering I fitted the entire boat myself, I was quite happy that he only wanted 2 items changed before passing it.

1. A flexible hose connection to the cooker instead of a fixed pipe. (the fittings have now arrived).

2. Additional door vents to compensate for the 7KW stove and large cooker.

Both will be sorted on Sunday :-)

I dont think 2 is a failure

I had a single 'coil' in the copper fuel hose for my Eberspacher..using up some slack..(like boats used to do)..but apparently...you can't do this any more.

I would like to know the definitive answer on that one

According to the bloke who did our BSS there have been a few cases of older extinguishers failing to work even though they showed a good pressure.

This could obviously be somewhat inconvenient in certain situations!, He suggested replacing them every 5 years or so though. I noted recently that Midland Chandlers do a half decent trade in on the old ones. Ours are now 12 years old so I will replace them all next year.

Might get drunk first, pretend to be a student, and set the old ones off.

...........Dave

Mine are 15 years old and still passed. However failed on no gauze in flame retarding device on diesel tank and unable to test the gas as although the bottles were turned off they were still passing gas and there was no isolation switch. I will look at Midland Chandlers trade in.

My BSS was carried out By Steve Hand, who is very often mentioned on here....

He calculated out..my stove and fire burning etc..and then they went around the boat poking a steel rule into air vents...to see where the wood ended and the vent was. He calculated the size of the free area of vent as well as my various roof vents...and using a 'formula' that he showed me in a book...said the there was a tiny bit of 'leaway' and I only just passed.

He also told me that loops in copper pipe used to be permissable, but not now as there is a possibilty of vibration and fracture.

I scraped a pass on my air vent/ burning ration...but the coiled copper pipe was put down as a fail.

My BSS was carried out By Steve Hand, who is very often mentioned on here....

He calculated out..my stove and fire burning etc..and then they went around the boat poking a steel rule into air vents...to see where the wood ended and the vent was. He calculated the size of the free area of vent as well as my various roof vents...and using a 'formula' that he showed me in a book...said the there was a tiny bit of 'leaway' and I only just passed.

He also told me that loops in copper pipe used to be permissable, but not now as there is a possibilty of vibration and fracture.

I scraped a pass on my air vent/ burning ration...but the coiled copper pipe was put down as a fail.

But ventilation is not a failure point,

But ventilation is not a failure point,

Hi...

sorry...I'm only the 'messenger'...so I have no idea.

He is a respected surveyor...and told me I 'only just scraped a pass' on ventilation...BUT..I should make and effort to enlarge a couple of the vents...as a scraped pass could still be a hazzard should one vent get obstructed.

I can't tell you more than that...

1) Ventilation is advisory, so not having enough will not prevent you getting a pass. Having said that, the examination report will definitely state that you did not pass an advisory check, which may be something that your insurance company is interested in, and if there were an incident, may affect your liability.

2) The relevant check is 2.10.3 Are all feed, return and on-engine pipes secure and in good condition? (Well actually as it's an appliance it'd be recorded as 8.1.1, but that just asks if the fuel supply to appliances meets the relevant part of the BSS, part 2 being the appropriate set of checks for diesel appliances.) If the pipe moves when light manual force is applied (this is defined as grasping the pipe with the thumb and forefinger and attempting to move it), then it's a fail.

1) Ventilation is advisory, so not having enough will not prevent you getting a pass. Having said that, the examination report will definitely state that you did not pass an advisory check, which may be something that your insurance company is interested in, and if there were an incident, may affect your liability.

2) The relevant check is 2.10.3 Are all feed, return and on-engine pipes secure and in good condition? (Well actually as it's an appliance it'd be recorded as 8.1.1, but that just asks if the fuel supply to appliances meets the relevant part of the BSS, part 2 being the appropriate set of checks for diesel appliances.) If the pipe moves when light manual force is applied (this is defined as grasping the pipe with the thumb and forefinger and attempting to move it), then it's a fail.

Isn't the ventilation requirement mandatory if the boat is a live aboard?

If the pipe moves when light manual force is applied (this is defined as grasping the pipe with the thumb and forefinger and attempting to move it), then it's a fail.

So..I guess that means 'coiled excess pipe'..as we see on some older engines..would allow the pipe to move..which would be classed as a fail. I'm only guessing.