PRM 150 drain plug size

DJW

Featured Posts

Simple question - can anyone tell me the size of the drain plug on a PRM 150?

We've just had one fitted and i can't find the correct socket to drain the oil at first service time. The largest socket I have is 19mm and the plug seems to be bigger than that.

Thanks

The manual that came with mine says it is an M16 nut which requires a 15mm AF spanner to remove it.

When you do get it off, and have finished changing the oil, don't screw it in too tight or it will be really difficult the next time. It doesn't rely on tightness, the rubber insert on the washer provides the seal so you just need to make sure it won't vibrate itself undone

The manual that came with mine says it is an M16 nut which requires a 15mm AF spanner to remove it.

When you do get it off, and have finished changing the oil, don't screw it in too tight or it will be really difficult the next time. It doesn't rely on tightness, the rubber insert on the washer provides the seal so you just need to make sure it won't vibrate itself undone

I think you might be getting confused with the level/filler plug which is also an odd size (18mm ?) on mine - I know a 17 is just too small and a 19 is just too big... and 18mm doesn't usually get included in most socket/spanner sets... of course they may have changed over the years

I think you might be getting confused with the level/filler plug which is also an odd size (18mm ?) on mine - I know a 17 is just too small and a 19 is just too big... and 18mm doesn't usually get included in most socket/spanner sets... of course they may have changed over the years

The manual says at para 7.1 (although I admit the wording does sound as if the writer was getting confused) :

"Drain all oil from the gearbox, the drain plug is located in the rear of the casing on the right hand side of the transmission. This requires a 15mm A/F spanner to remove" while the parts list shows it as "Item A15, Drain plug M16"

The manual says at para 7.1 (although I admit the wording does sound as if the writer was getting confused) :

"Drain all oil from the gearbox, the drain plug is located in the rear of the casing on the right hand side of the transmission. This requires a 15mm A/F spanner to remove" while the parts list shows it as "Item A15, Drain plug M16"

I think you might be right ! I particularly like the part where the manual says top up to correct level and THEN refit drain plug....

I think M16 is 24mm AF.

I've just found this: http://www.thomsonrail.com/Technical%20Resources/A%20short%20guide%20to%20metric%20nuts%20and%20bolts.pdf

Which tells you almost everything you need to know about metric nuts and bolts. This does indeed say that M16 is 24mm across the flats. A site I found a year or so ago with a table of sizes which I copied and kept gave the M16 as 27mmAF - it would appear that they (and I) were wrong.

I've just found this: http://www.thomsonrail.com/Technical%20Resources/A%20short%20guide%20to%20metric%20nuts%20and%20bolts.pdf

Which tells you almost everything you need to know about metric nuts and bolts. This does indeed say that M16 is 24mm across the flats. A site I found a year or so ago with a table of sizes which I copied and kept gave the M16 as 27mmAF - it would appear that they (and I) were wrong.

Good, although this appears not relevant in this case, as it has been proved that it is actually a 15mm spanner that is needed. So the workshop manual is a bit misleading when is lists the drain plug as M16 on the parts list, as it must just be the thread that is M16, not the head. In fairness it does on the installation drawing show the filler as 18.0 A/F and the drain as 15.0 A/F, and in the list of tools it lists "Dipstick 18mm A/F" and "Drain plug 15mm A/F".

Just to add a little confusion....

I called PRM yesterday as mine is definitely not any of the above sizes. They told me the drain plug is 7/8" which equates to 21.75mm. I managed to undo it with a 22mm socket, which seemed a better fit than the 7/8" ring spanner I also had to hand.

This is a brand new gearbox and the guy at PRM went to measure one from their stock to be sure this was the most up to date size.

I worked for an American company and they used to send an imperial toolkit out with all their machines. As well as the imperial adjustable it also had an imperial hammer and imperial screwdriver.

Paul