I may have found a body in lock 87 on the Rochdale 9.

DeanS

Featured Posts

Why ??

1 - Its a serious incident that has taken place on their 'property'

2 - there are boaters (customers) who are/were stuck and may need assistance

3 - the emergency services may need their help advice around lock operation, lock/sluice design etc

are just three things that spring to mind.

smiley_offtopic.gif

going a bit off topic but was there no-body from the Trust in attendance while all this was going on?

strikes me there should have been if there wasn't?

They were probably not informed

A few years ago a friend was turning and flushed a body from the reeds and reported it. Later 2 detectives arrived at his boat and asked if they could possibly see his prop in case clothing had become caught on it. He brought them aboard and opened the weed hatch that was in the rear cabin. One detective looked in and commented that it was full of water. When asked if he could pump the water out my friend said no, but told the detective he could give it a go if he wished......

I kid you not.

• Greenie 1

In all the activity, there didnt seem a reason to call CRT that evening, but they must have been contacted by the police as they locked the flight this morning...temporarily....

The police asked me if it was possible that the body had come in with our boat, but I said no...(because I noticed it before we cruised in), but I also said.....erm.....the water flows....THAT WAY.........pointing downwards...:)

I must admit .....when we finally reached the top of the Rochdale 9 today....I got something round my prop...and had to go down the weed hatch....I did catch my breathe...and have a long hard look, before I put my hand down to remove it. These things do affect you ...:)

If I had received a call that there had been a body found in unexplained circumstances on a part of our property I would have been required to be there.

Maybe CRT's procedure's are different.

Edited by The Dog House

If I had received a call that there had been a body found in unexplained circumstances on a part of our property I would have been required to be there.

Maybe CRT's procedure's are different.

I expect your property isn't routinely accessible to the public, and I expect the police had more important concerns than tracking down a contact at CaRT.

The company I worked for found a partially defrosted severely damaged body on the works land. Lots of theories about underworld but it was a stowaway that froze to death and fell out of plane landing wheel hatch as it opened close to the landing strip at Heathrow.

Edited by mark99

I expect your property isn't routinely accessible to the public, and I expect the police had more important concerns than tracking down a contact at CaRT.

I wasn't being clear.

I was referring to my time at work, and not my home.

Edited by The Dog House

After reading some of these posts I guess people must have different reactions to seeing dead bodies. I've seen a few including watching one being pulled out of a river outside my flat in Tokyo after 2 months hidden under the weeds (winter in Japan is cold so it wasn't that badly decomposed). But I don't recall any post traumatic effects and seeing it didn't bother me at all. Nobody wants to find a dead body but unfortunately death is part of life. When you think about how many people live on this planet, it's actually a bit odd how rarely most of us see dead bodies.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

I agree with Blackrose, having seen quite a few dead people myself.

We all die, many peacefully, some not so peacefully. Most adults will see a dead body or two, often their own parents. One day we will be a dead body ourselves.

If the corpse is unusually decomposed or mutilated, it can be a little unsettling for a while, but it really isn't anything to justify some of the hyperbole in this thread.

We've become insulated from death over the last few decades, my late mum, born 1905, recalled a time before WW1 when it was the norm to place deceased persons in an open coffin outside their home for folk to pay their respects, one upside was children became accustomed to the sight of dead bodies. These days death holds an unhealthy dread and fascination, hiding it away reinforces that.

First, well done to Dean for handling the situation in a mature and sensible fashion, which doubtless saved a greater overall burden of problems even if it did put Dean and his family in the front line.

We've become insulated from death over the last few decades, my late mum, born 1905, recalled a time before WW1 when it was the norm to place deceased persons in an open coffin outside their home for folk to pay their respects, one upside was children became accustomed to the sight of dead bodies. These days death holds an unhealthy dread and fascination, hiding it away reinforces that.

I'm not so sure about this and the other comments: yes it affects people in different ways but the situation isn't so much a dead person as a dead person where one isn't expected. I've seen a few bodies myself, most recently my mother whom I not only saw post-mortem but was actually present as she slipped away, otheres to a greater or lesser extent half expected, for example first on the scene at a road accident.

This is rather different to looking over into a lock for some or other reason and finding an unidentified body. The cruising guides don't have handy hints on where this is most likely to happen or what to look for.

I've never been that worried either, but then I might have been had Val been with me. Nearly becoming a floating corpse myself when I fell in the Avon and couldn't get out had a profound effect though.

I viewed several of my relatives in their coffins, sometimes brought home for a viewing before going to the crem, a chance to say goodbye, even though tis but an empty shell. Almost 2 years ago now I found my mate dead at home sitting on his couch! spent a couple of hours with him while paramedics, police and finally the undertakers came and went.

Also, a couple of years ago came up the Rochdale 9 and moored in Piccadilly basin. In the morning, early hours, they found a body in the top lock, though I think he fell in after we'd come through.

It was a body and they've lifted it out the lock.

They're hopefully planning to let us through in a short while.

Was it David Moyes?

Runs for a coat and hard hat.......

Edited by Doorman

After reading some of these posts I guess people must have different reactions to seeing dead bodies. I've seen a few including watching one being pulled out of a river outside my flat in Tokyo after 2 months hidden under the weeds (winter in Japan is cold so it wasn't that badly decomposed). But I don't recall any post traumatic effects and seeing it didn't bother me at all. Nobody wants to find a dead body but unfortunately death is part of life. When you think about how many people live on this planet, it's actually a bit odd how rarely most of us see dead bodies.

We are all different, what affects you may not affect me. I take the statement "Because I can do it - you can" with a big pinch of salt.

I have seen a few dead bodies, two of whom have been my late wives, who died at the ages of 47 and 53, I would not wish that on anyone. Please have a bit of tolerance as I said you may be able to, others can't.

We are all different, what affects you may not affect me. I take the statement "Because I can do it - you can" with a big pinch of salt.

I have seen a few dead bodies, two of whom have been my late wives, who died at the ages of 47 and 53, I would not wish that on anyone. Please have a bit of tolerance as I said you may be able to, others can't.

Words fail me!

I have sat with my father as he drew his last breath, watched my elder brother disappear from a strong intelligent man into a shadow of his former self, before finally passing away and each of those experiences are indelibly etched into my soul.

But to lose two wives at such an age is so very sad.