Removing part of a steel partition

Featured Posts

Hmmm how to explain this... When we bought our little boat she had a bed which required making up every night with a wall and door either side (essentially a very small bedroom) we have decided to make a fixed double instead however after removing wooden panelling we've discovered the wall is actually steel.

So after that very long explanation (sorry!!) if you are still awake the question is can we cut out the middle?? I guess my concern as someone addicted to house programmes is that it's some sort of 'supporting wall' or do boats not need these??

Yes this was my reasoning... However as it is not across the whole boat (there is a door cut into it) wondering if keeping the top and bottom section in tact may be enough... Think we may go and grab someone from the marina maintenance building tomorrow to have a little look!

Sometimes bulkheads such as this are put in to maintain the hull's integrity and shape and by removing it may allow some unwanted flexing or deformation. But this may well be incorrect.

Phil

Agreed. There is a boat on our marina that has a "gusset" of steel (for the want of a better word) to pull the gunwales in. They have been disguised by the kitchen units in this instance. That is why I suggest a photo of the OP's boat interior.

Edited by Guest

'Gusset' is a great word, I love it.

GUSSET.

Nearly as good as Elbow. Be good on VHF "NB Gusset requesting permision to enter the lock. Over."

OP. I go with the idea of borowing an engineer to take a look. you say your boat is small and so that partion may be structural. Photos would help.

Edited by Taslim

It may well be Junior... As you enter from the stern there is a boatmans cabin (think thats what u call it) this is where i was standing to take the photo....then what may have been an engine room where they have built part of the bed over the engine (the rest goes over the walkway). Recommended by surveyor to raise the bed for more ventilation so we decided to try and make a fixed double while we were at it!!

Edited by Mrswoodyowd

My engine room is enclosed by two steel bulkheads.

I've always assume that as there is a heavy engine and a ton of diesel slopping about either side of engine these are used for local stiffening as in the engine room there are two already large cut-aways and a non welded section (2 side hatches and removable roof).

First this gusset http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gusset_plate is a bulkhead, might have been watertight or as a firewall or both

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulkhead_(partition)

There should be minimum 2 in every boat, closing in the engine, and the bow area as a collision bulkhead

Edited by Dalslandia

First this gusset http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gusset_plate is a bulkhead, might have been watertight or as a firewall or both

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulkhead_(partition)

There should be minimum 2 in every boat, closing in the engine, and the bow area as a collision bulkhead

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point, but I would suggest that a huge number of modern built leisure narrow boats would fail such a test, particularly in respect of "closing in the engine".

Whilst there are requirements to have the area under the engine cordoned off to stop any contamination of the rest of the bilge by spilled fuels, lubricants, coolants etc, there is certainly no requirement to have higher bulkheads that divide the boat up into any separate areas for flotation purposes.

For a "walk through" boat, it is hard to see how you could practically have this, unless you provide screw down watertight doors in those bulkheads in the style of a submarine!

For a "walk through" boat, it is hard to see how you could practically have this, unless you provide screw down watertight doors in those bulkheads in the style of a submarine!

What's so strange about that?

My last boat had them...wink.png

DSCN0077.jpg

Well once again huge thanks.. Hubby is now ripping out cupboards and bed will fit in cabin.. Space above engine will now be a huge hanging space for clothes (going to box it all in) and we'll have plenty of space to get to the engine too... For our first boat which we only intend to keep for a few years this seems like the easier option and less costly!! Onwards and upwards...

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point, but I would suggest that a huge number of modern built leisure narrow boats would fail such a test, particularly in respect of "closing in the engine".

Whilst there are requirements to have the area under the engine cordoned off to stop any contamination of the rest of the bilge by spilled fuels, lubricants, coolants etc, there is certainly no requirement to have higher bulkheads that divide the boat up into any separate areas for flotation purposes.

You might missunderstand it slightly, with water tight I mean forepeak and stern if engine is under stern deck, if engine is "inside" the boat (further forward) 2 steel bulkheads with steel doors on each end of the engine room will make it practical, almost :-) I said should ! not must.

I guess the biggest fire risk in a nb isn't the engine but the coal or wood burner, but it is different with working or passenger boats, thats my refference.

I guess there is different requairment for inland, coast and offshore boats

Heard a story about a man with a old boat that wanted to make fishing trips with paying passengers, the surveyor noted that there was no forepeak bulkhead, so ordered it to be installed in the old boat, so the owner/captain built one wall of thin wood stripes with gaps between, not really water tight. do and re-do. (no it was not me)

Modern design, didn't help in the case of Costa Concordia, sliding into the cliff, tearing up a 50 meter hole, but what a cliff hanger it become of that. :-)

Edited by Dalslandia