What is your preferred solid fuel?

Captain Fizz

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone

just wondering how much is coal is and what size bags do they come in ??

and all the different names ??? is coal not just coal ?? I see they seem to burn different lengths , heat etc. whats the most cost effective and recommended.

How much to get through a cold cold week ???

Are boats that cold in winter I mean you can always put a jumper on. or a onesie (not that I own one yet but a thought)

Thanks for all your input.

valuable as always !!!!

Thanks

I heard on some canals they do coal straight form there own barge is this common over the network??? I would like to support canal trade when my dream comes true. hopefully soon.

May I suggest you read this thread?

You'll find much advice and info on different types of coal.

(And, dependent upon your stove(s), how long it's/they're lit per week, and how warm you wish to be, your consumption will be between 0~70Kg per week per stove (approximately))

May I suggest you read this thread?

You'll find much advice and info on different types of coal.

(And, dependent upon your stove(s), how long it's/they're lit per week, and how warm you wish to be, your consumption will be between 0~70Kg per week per stove (approximately))

yes my apologies I didn't realise that there were 5 pages in total !!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought from Home Bargains 10kg of smokeless £3:99 10kg Coal £2:99 with intention of trying on my Bubble Multifuel.

Coal is to trial getting it to burst into life quicker in the morning.

Will post results in new topic in living afloat .

I also bought another load of Flamefast Firelogs at 99p each, these are ideal for arrival on a cold boat, start getting heat up very quickly, they can also easily be cut into smaller lengths and used as excellent firelighters or quick heat boosters.

Edited by b0atman

• 2 weeks later...

I have a stovax brunel coal`s ive used include taybrite and homeheat both of which burn well homeheat flames a bit more although both stay lit overnight, ive recently started using mixed ovoids as they are slightly cheaper, they also stay lit overnight amd flame quite well, but, have a higher sulphur content than both of the other two.

I tend to have a bit of wood onboard to and throw a bit on for a bit of a temperature boost, in the cold weather my fire is lit 24 hours a day and its been very reliable thank god.

When considering the cost of fuel, please bear in mind that most solid fuel types started deep underground and brave men risked their lives working hard to dig it out for us. Because of this, I am always happy to pay a fair price from fuel that originates in Great Britain or any other part of the EU. We are not doing anyone any good by buying cheap fuel that originates in parts of the world where the miners are treated as slave labour.

In my opinion, trying to buy things for the cheapest possible price, irrespective of how or wherefrom it came, is a British disease that is the root of many national problems including unemployment and local poverty.

When considering the cost of fuel, please bear in mind that most solid fuel types started deep underground and brave men risked their lives working hard to dig it out for us. Because of this, I am always happy to pay a fair price from fuel that originates in Great Britain or any other part of the EU. We are not doing anyone any good by buying cheap fuel that originates in parts of the world where the miners are treated as slave labour.

In my opinion, trying to buy things for the cheapest possible price, irrespective of how or wherefrom it came, is a British disease that is the root of many national problems including unemployment and local poverty.

Well said and thank you.

SAM

Ryde

IOW

(Hatfield NUM 1981 - 1990)

How very Magnanimous of you !!

Darren

Just bought 5 bags of Excel, what marvellous stuff! This is definitely my preferred choice of solid fuel.

Excel has a very high (up to 80%) Petroleum Coke content which may damage grates etc as it burns so hot.

I love Exel, the Epping is heavily bricked up and the grate is hefty so with bit of care its worked just fine. I burn anything remotely combustible that I can get hold of but like a decent fuel to keep the stove in over night.

Hawne Basin shop sells solid fuel which is supplied by Jacko off Roach. I been buying my fuel there lately , it's fine for cooking and keeping the fire in overnight.

Don't any of you find that Excel stinks to high heaven too? The family moored behind me is burning it and I can smell it in my boat, and the Dad popped out earlier and apologised, saying he'd never had it before and didn't realise how much it stank!

Edited by Starcoaster

I'm currently burning free ish wood this evening plus a few shovels of wildfire. Lit it at 16.30. I find the heat output of dry wood excellent and keeps me fit collecting, splitting and cutting. Pay £10 for an estate car full.

Plan on getting more loads as then I can fully season it all ready for next winter.

Jamescheers.gif

Don't any of you find that Excel stinks to high heaven too?

I started using Excel off of the coal boats a few weeks ago after I left my mooring and found it wasn't practical to go to B&Q anymore to buy eCoal50.

The first day I was burning it I spent half the day asking people outside if the could smell a terrible smell, or if it was just me. I didn't connect the smell to the Excel. Eventually I realised the smell was coming out of my own chimney.

It inconvenienced my nose for no more than a couple of days and now I don't notice the smell at all. Certainty the smelly inconvenience is outweighed by the fact it is by far and away the best coal I have used at staying in overnight and all day if I go out.

So yes it does smell, but it's worth it and you get used to it.