What is your preferred solid fuel?

Captain Fizz

Featured Posts

I've recently tried a couple of bags of almost every smokeless fuel that the coal boats sell since my "falling out" with Stoveglow. I haven't tried the Ecoal50 though.

How I have found the ones I have tried:

Excel: Burned very hot, smelled strong. I have since learnt that it is not usually recommended for solid fuel stoves as it can burn too hot. Not a fan, partly due to the strong smell.

Sueprtherm: I checked with the coal boat if this was the smaller or larger nugget version. I was told it was the small version, but I found them to be rather larger than most other nuggets, so I am not sure if I was informed correctly. Do not like. Hard to get going, hard to keep in, tends to go out very easily if you don't get the balance just right. Fairly smokey, lots of ash. Two bags left, won't buy again.

Pureheat: I used to burn this when I first got the boat, and have got a couple of bags again. A perfectly good fuel, easy to light, easy to keep in, fairly easy to control, not too ashy.

Taybrite: Love it. Lasts for ages on the stove, really controllable, kicks out a lot of heat even when only a few coals are glowing but never gets overly hot, less ash than the others I have tried. Definitely sticking with this one, even though it is a bit pricier than the others.

Edited by Starcoaster

What are you currently burning, and what prices have you been quoted for Excel/Newflame?

(And what stove are you burning it in?)

At a the moment I am burning Brazier from homebargins, 10kg £3.99. Good stuff easy to light and keeps in well but I want to get something loose and in bigger amounts.

Burning in a country kiln 22.

I've recently tried a couple of bags of almost every smokeless fuel that the coal boats sell since my "falling out" with Stoveglow. I haven't tried the Ecoal50 though.

How I have found the ones I have tried:

Excel: Burned very hot, smelled strong. I have since learnt that it is not usually recommended for solid fuel stoves as it can burn too hot. Not a fan, partly due to the strong smell.

Sueprtherm: I checked with the coal boat if this was the smaller or larger nugget version. I was told it was the small version, but I found them to be rather larger than most other nuggets, so I am not sure if I was informed correctly. Do not like. Hard to get going, hard to keep in, tends to go out very easily if you don't get the balance just right. Fairly smokey, lots of ash. Two bags left, won't buy again.

Pureheat: I used to burn this when I first got the boat, and have got a couple of bags again. A perfectly good fuel, easy to light, easy to keep in, fairly easy to control, not too ashy.

Taybrite: Love it. Lasts for ages on the stove, really controllable, kicks out a lot of heat even when only a few coals are glowing but never gets overly hot, less ash than the others I have tried. Definitely sticking with this one, even though it is a bit pricier than the others.

Interesting to read as we have the same stove. Do you use the full grate area or have you reduced it's size with fire bricks?

At a the moment I am burning Brazier from homebargins, 10kg £3.99. Good stuff easy to light and keeps in well but I want to get something loose and in bigger amounts.

Burning in a country kiln 22.

Have tried Brazier and found it unimpressive, with a comparitively cool burn, and quite smelly.

Depending where you are in the Midlands, if there's a coal boat near you I'd see what they've got available - but I suggest that you try a mixture of ovoids (Taybrite / Pureheat / Stoveglow) for keeping the fire in for a long time (such as when you're at work, or overnight), and an anthracite (Anthracite small) for a good heat whilst you're there to attend to it (Anthracite needs a good airsupply)

A decent coal merchant will also stock both of these - - you should look to pay about £8:50 for ovoids and £9:00 (both 25Kg bags)

A country kiln 22 is a fair old stove at 8Kw - - is it on a boat??

Edited by Grace & Favour

Interesting to read as we have the same stove. Do you use the full grate area or have you reduced it's size with fire bricks?

I've got firebricks all around three sides; I was given to understand that the stove casing might crack without them, this might be untrue though.

I am also aware that my stove is not behaving at its best in general, as I still have solid clinker and goo on much of the baffle plate that I have failed to get off, which is almost certainly affecting its operation to some extent.

I'm confused why.

It always tended to be one of the lower priced in the past, if only because you typically get less calories out of each kilo.

It used to be classed as "economy" rather than "premium", and priced that way.

Strange!

I am paying £11.50 a bag from Jules, compared to Stoveglow at £10 (or £9.50 last winter) this seems like a premium fuel to me, but well worth it as I like it so much!

Yes, but even before its latest fall from grace, Stoveglow was always the (relative!) cheapie.

I meant more where Taybrite sits in relation to the other fuels that have a definite spec and declared calorific value.

It used to be the case that it was one of the cheapest, (which seems reasonable, as although it burns well, a lot of what you are paying for isn't actually combustible!).

Don't get me wrong, we always tended to use Taybrite before Stoveglow was generally available for less, and I guess will revert to it, now Stoveglow is no longer a "smokeless" option. It works well both in a stove like yours, and in the Epping.

£11-50 a bag though? Phew!

(Actually just checked, and the farm shop I have sometimes used locally is the same as Jules, or at least it is for single bags - they discount a bit for 5 or more.)

I don't understand what makes Ecoal50 so great. Its ingredient list certainly doesn't tell me it's fantastic.

Ecoal 50 briquettes, manufactured by Coal Products Limited at Immingham Briquetting Works, Immingham, North East Lincolnshire which—

(a)comprise anthracite fines (as to approximately 30 to 55% of the total weight), biomass (as to approximately 25 to 35% of the total weight), petroleum coke (as to approximately 10 to 40% of the total weight), bituminous coal (as to approximately 0 to 5% of the total weight) and natural organic binder (as to the remaining weight);

(b)were manufactured from those constituents by a process involving roll pressing followed by heat treatment at a temperature of approximately 300°C in a controlled, reduced oxygen environment;

©are hexagonal-shaped briquettes with a single stripe on one side across the flats;

(d)have an average weight of 135 grams per briquette; and

(e)have a sulphur content not exceeding 2% of the total weight.

What are the pricier fuels than that, other than the Ecoal50 at £12.50?

If you are looking for expensive you could try Homefire, Homefire Ovals or Phurnacite.

Yes, that's certainly the case at a local farm shop supplier close to me currently.

I'm sure these prices can all be undercut, (and they discount for quantity), but it is typical of the relative pricing I would expect, and I suspect not that far off from several of the coal boats.

(Do any of the coal boats provide online prices?)

(In ascending order, 25Kg bags, munns Farm Shop, Dagnall)

Stoveglow £10.25 (presumably no longer smokeless?)

Anthracite Large £10.50

Anthracite Small £10.50

Supertherm £11.00

Taybrite/Surefire £11.50

Phurnacite £12.50

Homefire Ovals £12.50

Homefire £13.00

Munns seem to have deleted Excel from what they stock.

Have tried Brazier and found it unimpressive, with a comparitively cool burn, and quite smelly.

Depending where you are in the Midlands, if there's a coal boat near you I'd see what they've got available - but I suggest that you try a mixture of ovoids (Taybrite / Pureheat / Stoveglow) for keeping the fire in for a long time (such as when you're at work, or overnight), and an anthracite (Anthracite small) for a good heat whilst you're there to attend to it (Anthracite needs a good airsupply)

A decent coal merchant will also stock both of these - - you should look to pay about £8:50 for ovoids and £9:00 (both 25Kg bags)

A country kiln 22 is a fair old stove at 8Kw - - is it on a boat??

At the moment our life is ground based, sometime in the future we plan to be water based.

This Monday gone got a load of newflame briquettes. £8.99 per 25k or 17.50 per 50k open sack. Impressed so far. Bigger than the homebargins stuff, give out a good amount of heat and last well.

Anyone heard of and ever used Brazier Smokeless?

There's one of theses cheaply shops near to us that is selling it in 10Kg bags at £3.99. Seems a good price if a good burner.

Martyn

Brazier is CPL's Multiheat, two different ovoids in one bag.

Great fuel in my opinion, easy to light, hot and long burning.

Its only drawback is it can smell a bit, but most fuels do to some extent and nowhere near as bad as excel.

Give it a try.

Brazier is CPL's Multiheat, two different ovoids in one bag.

Great fuel in my opinion, easy to light, hot and long burning.

Its only drawback is it can smell a bit, but most fuels do to some extent and nowhere near as bad as excel.

Give it a try.

We burnt it for a few years as we could buy it from a local DIY place in batches of 3 25kg bags, nowadays it's about £32 for 3 so that price is good.

I found it not as good as Taybrite or Supertherm, but it's cheap so Your Milage May Vary as they say.

As an aside, I've really not got on well with the Anthracite we have pure anthracite in large lumps. Even with both air controls fully open on the stove, and a cleaned and riddled grate, it's gone out by morning. Not very impressed.

We burnt it for a few years as we could buy it from a local DIY place in batches of 3 25kg bags, nowadays it's about £32 for 3 so that price is good.

I found it not as good as Taybrite or Supertherm, but it's cheap so Your Milage May Vary as they say.

As an aside, I've really not got on well with the Anthracite we have pure anthracite in large lumps. Even with both air controls fully open on the stove, and a cleaned and riddled grate, it's gone out by morning. Not very impressed.

Re Anthracite - - stay way from large lumps unless you've a huge stove - it burns best in smaller sizes (we use small anthracite & anthracite beans*) - it needs a good air supply and a fair head of fuel to keep the internal temperature up.

*We will not use overnight - it's difficult/impossible to reduce to a 'slumber' - so we use ovoids for overnight / 12+ hour periods away from the stove.

Hi Everyone

just wondering how much is coal is and what size bags do they come in ??

and all the different names ??? is coal not just coal ?? I see they seem to burn different lengths , heat etc. whats the most cost effective and recommended.

How much to get through a cold cold week ???

Are boats that cold in winter I mean you can always put a jumper on. or a onesie (not that I own one yet but a thought)

Thanks for all your input.

valuable as always !!!!

Thanks

Hi Everyone

just wondering how much is coal is and what size bags do they come in ??

and all the different names ??? is coal not just coal ?? I see they seem to burn different lengths , heat etc. whats the most cost effective and recommended.

How much to get through a cold cold week ???

Are boats that cold in winter I mean you can always put a jumper on. or a onesie (not that I own one yet but a thought)

Thanks for all your input.

valuable as always !!!!

Thanks

I heard on some canals they do coal straight form there own barge is this common over the network??? I would like to support canal trade when my dream comes true. hopefully soon.

I'm not being funny or even trying to be. But, this thread from the start gives a bit of an insight into your query.

Bit of a minefield. There are good names and not so good names. One good name has had 'bad press' on here recently. You just don't know.

Even tonight I mentioned a brand that is being sold at a competitive price. I know nothing about it and asked on here. Instant reply now I am a bit wiser.

Boats are cold in winter if you don't heat them. No matter how many jumpers you put on.

Martyn