Continuous cruising- Macc canal- mile posts?

Ricco1

Featured Posts

Or maybe not though...eh?

But I like to try.

The forum should be a place where we discuss things, share knowledge to educate each other, and sometimes have a bit of fun.

A small number of forum members like to spoil this by showing off or just been plain unpleasant to each other.

CaRT are out to spoil our lovely way of life so the sooner we start pulling together the better.

I think the characteristics of continuous moorers would be very interesting and might actually destroy quite a few stereotypes.

.............Dave

But I like to try.

The forum should be a place where we discuss things, share knowledge to educate each other, and sometimes have a bit of fun.

A small number of forum members like to spoil this by showing off or just been plain unpleasant to each other.

CaRT are out to spoil our lovely way of life so the sooner we start pulling together the better.

I think the characteristics of continuous moorers would be very interesting and might actually destroy quite a few stereotypes.

.............Dave

Fair enough Dave you run with it, I'm sure it will go down a storm.

I know loads of continuous moorers they tend to hang around in Marinas and on LTM and jolly nice people they are. This winter I will be a continuous moorer for 5 months is there a sign of any sort I should put on my boat hate anyone to think I might only be a continuous moorer when infact I will be one.

I know loads of continuous moorers they tend to hang around in Marinas and on LTM and jolly nice people they are. This winter I will be a continuous moorer for 5 months is there a sign of any sort I should put on my boat hate anyone to think I might only be a continuous moorer when infact I will be one.

I do hope you realise that my comments about defining continuous moorers are largely light-heated. What is not light hearted is CaRT taking draconian action to fix a "CM problem" that instead makes genuine continuous cruising and leisure boating a lot less relaxed. But then this is hopefully what ACC is all about.

Anyway when you prepare to moor up for the winter I suggest that you:....

1 Do not clean your boat for at least a year.

2 Make sure you chimney shows significant rust.

3 Cultivate a huge chimney tar stain down the side of the boat.

4 Get lots of coal and wood stashed on the roof, ideally under a blue plastic sheet.

5 A bit of general clutter in the well deck/cratch.

6 Some very conspicuous "double glazing" on the windows (newspaper is ideal).

7 A line of rust on the waterline

8 Several patches of primer on the cabin sides

9 Pile of sawdust/wood chippings outside the boat.

10 At least one Buddha on the roof

and for yourself...

11 Absolutely no shaving

12 A few tatoos

13 Scruffy clothes/dirty jumper

14 Earings and other piercings

15 A dog (staffie or lurcher is best)

I score a mere 8/15.

What I do find interesting is that I reckon our boat is actually pretty smart but almost all other boaters immediately identify us as continuous cruisers.

........Dave

We are on the Macc right now, and the (small) August rush is well and truly over, my main observation is that there are really not many boats here at all, and even fewer moving. I have only seen 4 or 5 boats that could possibly be a "continuous moorer" problem so would be surprised if CaRT feel they need to do anything here.

I have just read about the lovely stone mileposts...they were all buried in the war in case the Germans invaded the Macc and did not have a map!!!

The Macc society managed to find and re-erect all but three of them....and if you look closely you can still read every word!

...........Dave

I cruised up and down it for a lot of last year, other than a couple of places like Gurnett and Poynton it was very quiet. Barely anything moving but Braidbars. Never had a problem continuously mooring there at all.

I do hope you realise that my comments about defining continuous moorers are largely light-heated. What is not light hearted is CaRT taking draconian action to fix a "CM problem" that instead makes genuine continuous cruising and leisure boating a lot less relaxed. But then this is hopefully what ACC is all about.

Anyway when you prepare to moor up for the winter I suggest that you:....

1 Do not clean your boat for at least a year.

2 Make sure you chimney shows significant rust.

3 Cultivate a huge chimney tar stain down the side of the boat.

4 Get lots of coal and wood stashed on the roof, ideally under a blue plastic sheet.

5 A bit of general clutter in the well deck/cratch.

6 Some very conspicuous "double glazing" on the windows (newspaper is ideal).

7 A line of rust on the waterline

8 Several patches of primer on the cabin sides

9 Pile of sawdust/wood chippings outside the boat.

10 At least one Buddha on the roof

and for yourself...

11 Absolutely no shaving

12 A few tatoos

13 Scruffy clothes/dirty jumper

14 Earings and other piercings

15 A dog (staffie or lurcher is best)

I score a mere 8/15.

What I do find interesting is that I reckon our boat is actually pretty smart but almost all other boaters immediately identify us as continuous cruisers.

........Dave

Fun for you, crass and stupid in my opinion

Richard

• Greenie 1

Only 2 out of 15 here. I'd better reconsider my life. Maybe continuous cruising isn't for me, after all :)

16/ Empty Stella cans always on view if you look through a window.

17/ A pungent herbal smell often greets passers by when the doors are opened

I now have a score of 3.

A surprising comment from you. I think it helps folk see the stigma they attach to those who do differently to them.

This was of course exactly the intention of my post, so sorry if I have caused offence to anyone.

There are not many liveaboard boats that do not show at least a couple of these features!

Only 2 out of 15 here. I'd better reconsider my life. Maybe continuous cruising isn't for me, after all smile.png

16/ Empty Stella cans always on view if you look through a window.

17/ A pungent herbal smell often greets passers by when the doors are opened

I now have a score of 3.

You still have some way to go. Those empty cans/bottles need to be out on the deck in full public view.

And a half empty glass of beer/spirits on the roof lets everyone know what a good party you had the night before.

..............Dave

This was of course exactly the intention of my post, so sorry if I have caused offence to anyone.

There are not many liveaboard boats that do not show at least a couple of these features!

You still have some way to go. Those empty cans/bottles need to be out on the deck in full public view.

And a half empty glass of beer/spirits on the roof lets everyone know what a good party you had the night before.

..............Dave

18/ Faint smell of formaldehyde from some bushes behind the towpath.

My score remains 3.

I cruised up and down it for a lot of last year, other than a couple of places like Gurnett and Poynton it was very quiet. Barely anything moving but Braidbars. Never had a problem continuously mooring there at all.

I would say much the same this year. Just been to Bugsworth and that was mostly empty with the landlord at the pub saying what a quiet year it has been. I reckon the Macc and Peak Forest are two of the best canals, yet whilst CRT are spending a fortune to solve the "congestion" on the South East visitor moorings it appears that there are not many boats about at all on much of the system for much of the time.

.............Dave

Well I'm in deep do do then or 00

19: Huge array of Solar Panels !!!

I would say much the same this year. Just been to Bugsworth and that was mostly empty with the landlord at the pub saying what a quiet year it has been. I reckon the Macc and Peak Forest are two of the best canals, yet whilst CRT are spending a fortune to solve the "congestion" on the South East visitor moorings it appears that there are not many boats about at all on much of the system for much of the time.

.............Dave

19: Huge array of Solar Panels !!!

YEEEEAAAAHH 1 point, I'm on my way, now where's that Axe?

9 out of 19 if you substitute whisky bottles for beer cans. And I was faintly considering cleaning the boat today but will probably mange to control myself and watch the Grand Prix instead.

4 boats moving in 4 days on the Chesterfield - and it is a gorgeous weekend!

go on, I will do it for you.....4.

Not sure he makes 4 - I suspect he has a surreptitious shave on occasion!

We were last on the Macc a year ago and I noticed one boat that is moored on the towpath in exactly the same position as it was then, and had fixed various protest notices to a nearby bridge. There was no sign to indicate it was a CaRT permanent mooring. This boat might possibly be a very continuous moorer, but it might have every right to be where it is. In general boats that have a huge amount of associated clutter, and even a "tender" full of more stuff are less likely to be on a major progressive journey round the system...but then I know one or two who are.

I'll name that boat in one.

In fact pretty much every boater who has a mooring in the area could do the same.

The protest diatribe is now written in felt tip pen on the side of a pop up tent, and the boat sports a mocked up licence disk that bears the words "here by right" where the date should be.

The Macclesfield has it's share of piss takers. When we arrived at our current mooring in March, there was a very short (20 ft) boat moored on the 24 hour mooring opposite. For the next 5 months, it was ever present, finally vanishing in mid-August.

In late August, it was spotted on a private mooring in Marple, and a week later in Macclesfield. Guess what? It's back again on the 24 hour mooring. Looks like CRT May have warned him off and got him to shift for a couple of weeks, but having laid low for a short while he has returned to the same spot.

Going right back to where all this started, I suggested there were probably no more than just 4 or 5 "continuous moorers" on the Macc. You have spotted two, I suspect there are maybe a couple of more discrete ones too, so I am probably not far wrong in my estimate. They are really irritating and upset lots of boaters but on the grand scheme of things they are small in number and just don't justify the dramatic action that CaRT are taking, (such as the S.E. mooring changes) that will impact upon the rest of us..

I do like the term piss takers rather than continuous moorers, but then I suspect that if we stopped to talk to them we would find that they are mostly just sad individuals rather than demons so not really taking the piss out of us anyway, though there are an even smaller number who probably are genuine piss takers. They don't really spoil our boating because there is still lots of space for us to moor, (in fact very often these "PTs" choose to moor in unpopular spots).

Actually I reckon they might even serve a useful purpose in gently reminding the rest of us to keep on top of the paintwork and not overdo the drinking too much.rolleyes.gif

.............Dave

edited for typos

Edited by dmr
  • Greenie 1

Going right back to where all this started, I suggested there were probably no more than just 4 or 5 "continuous moorers" on the Macc. You have spotted two, I suspect there are maybe a couple of more discrete ones too, so I am probably not far wrong in my estimate. They are really irritating and upset lots of boaters but on the grand scheme of things they are small in number and just don't justify the dramatic action that CaRT are taking, (such as the S.E. mooring changes) that will impact upon the rest of us..

I do like the term piss takers rather than continuous moorers, but then I suspect that if we stopped to talk to them we would find that they are mostly just sad individuals rather than demons so not really taking the piss out of us anyway, though there are an even smaller number who probably are genuine piss takers. They don't really spoil our boating because there is still lots of space for us to moor, (in fact very often these "PTs" choose to moor in unpopular spots).

Actually I reckon they might even serve a useful purpose in gently reminding the rest of us to keep on top of the paintwork and not overdo the drinking too much.:rolleyes:

.............Dave

edited for typos

Greenie. I suspect you are right in these rural areas.

Thank you, though there is an element of self interest here. Another thread suggests that it costs £76,000 to remove a boat from the waterway. I would much rather see that money spent on dredging, the Macc is a lovely canal and if the bit by the little swing bridge gets any worse I wont be able to get past it!!!

............Dave