Wood Burners and Fiberglass Boats

Featured Posts

I cant see any problem what so ever with a stove on a GRP boat, a lot say and think its dangerous for some reason, aslong as its fitted properly as it should be on a steel boat then there is no problem, the only time there is a problem is when the user isnt carefull when using a stove on ANY boat.

From what i remember about fitting stoves on boats is that there should be a min 25mm cavity between the hull and ply, then fire board of a certain thickness before tiling with fire cement.

Also for the BSS there is certain amount of air flow needed, look online or you can buy the folder with all the info on there for the BSS requirments, i no longer have the folder so sorry cant help on the details.

Just be sensible on the use and you will be fine, its the contents on boats that set on fire with stoves, not the hull in most cases.

wolly

• Greenie 1

From what i remember about fitting stoves on boats is that there should be a min 25mm cavity between the hull and ply, then fire board of a certain thickness before tiling with fire cement.

wolly

There's a nice guide here: http://www.soliftec.com/Boat%20Stoves%201-page.pdf

I'd check that the trim of the boat is OK after fitting the stove too

Richard

Good info there Richard, for GRP though i would go for the extra cavity depth, just to be that bit more peace of mind. so i can sleep at night, not sink lol

A lot of SF heaters in grp boats are home made - an old propane gas cylinder makes a good shell apparently.

Main problem is most popular woodburners are a bit big/heavy for a grp cruiser, but you can get dinky ones like this http://www.windysmithy.co.uk/woodburners

You might also consider a charcoal burner like the famous Hampshire - they are popular in yachts where space is always tight.

I have never seen a SF stove made from gas cylinder all the people I know with stoves have Squirrels,Villagers and such plus offerings from Machinemart.

Weight is not an issue on GRP boats afterall many live-aboards like us had auto washing machines and all the other stuff that makes life comfortable aboard.

Phil

I have never seen a SF stove made from gas cylinder all the people I know with stoves have Squirrels,Villagers and such plus offerings from Machinemart.

Weight is not an issue on GRP boats afterall many live-aboards like us had auto washing machines and all the other stuff that makes life comfortable aboard.

Phil

Here's a few http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3872.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.Xgas+bottle+woodburner&_nkw=gas+bottle+woodburner&_sacat=0&_from=R40

The one's I've seen aren't quite as tidy as those, mind.

I've often thought of making one for my garage but I'd be afraid of not getting all the gas out before attacking it with an angle grinder...

I must admit when someone on this forum refers to grp boats I tend to think of narrow beamers like Dawncraft, Norman, Viking, Nauticus etc. where weight and space might be more of an issue. You sacrifice a lot of room on a small boat for a SF heater, though I would still have one.

Quite a few Highbridge cruisers have them.

Here's a few http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3872.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.Xgas+bottle+woodburner&_nkw=gas+bottle+woodburner&_sacat=0&_from=R40

The one's I've seen aren't quite as tidy as those, mind.

I've often thought of making one for my garage but I'd be afraid of not getting all the gas out before attacking it with an angle grinder...

I must admit when someone on this forum refers to grp boats I tend to think of narrow beamers like Dawncraft, Norman, Viking, Nauticus etc. where weight and space might be more of an issue. You sacrifice a lot of room on a small boat for a SF heater, though I would still have one.

Quite a few Highbridge cruisers have them.

Why when diesel or gas are much more convenient, cleaner and take up much less space?

Gas freeing cylinders,this is how we do it. Take out the valve,it unscrews fairly easily from the blue cylinders which are the ones we used. Fill cylinder totally full with water and leave for a day or two. Pour out the water,it will be a bit manky. Cut the cylinder to suit.

There's a nice guide here: http://www.soliftec.com/Boat%20Stoves%201-page.pdf

I'd check that the trim of the boat is OK after fitting the stove too

Richard

I was looking at the advise on the soliftec link as I'm putting a new fire in soon and the bit I didn't get is in the bottom right corner, the little panel that says "flue pipes should be joined socket end up" i.e. the lower pipe fit over the higher pipe not inside it. I haven't misread it at there is a picture showing it that way round. I would have expected it to be the other way round, lower piece of pipe fits inside of the higher pipe anyone agree?

I was looking at the advise on the soliftec link as I'm putting a new fire in soon and the bit I didn't get is in the bottom right corner, the little panel that says "flue pipes should be joined socket end up" i.e. the lower pipe fit over the higher pipe not inside it. I haven't misread it at there is a picture showing it that way round. I would have expected it to be the other way round, lower piece of pipe fits inside of the higher pipe anyone agree?

How odd

The reality of this is eventually you are stuck with what you can get. So if it assembles the 'wrong way around' that's what you do

Richard

There shouldn't be any leaks in the flue joints, but if there are, socket end up ensures that any condensate stays within the flue, rather than creating messy staining down the outside of the pipe.