Remote start generator (Of sorts)

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Actually - no.

The kind of genny that you have must be used off the boat.

Richard

As above, really.

If you're going to try it, PLEASE make sure you have 2 CO alarms (a backup one in case of failure of the 1st one). It might/might not allow exhaust gases to sink into the boat using the boat's ventilation, depends on airflow, exhaust position, wind speed/direction, etc. But I think the noise will put you off before the CO issue presents itself.

Make a raft out of one of your top boxes, mount your generator on it, set it afloat and chain it to the off side of your boat where it can't be seen from the towpath. An extended starter pull cord could be brought in through a window perhaps around pulleys directing the cord anywhere on board, you could even start it whilst lying in bed or sitting on the throne.

I know your joking but with a bit of tweaking its not a bad idea. :P

As above, really.

If you're going to try it, PLEASE make sure you have 2 CO alarms (a backup one in case of failure of the 1st one). It might/might not allow exhaust gases to sink into the boat using the boat's ventilation, depends on airflow, exhaust position, wind speed/direction, etc. But I think the noise will put you off before the CO issue presents itself.

Thank you, thats much better advice. Actually despite how I may sound I worry too much and am tempted to get a third in case both somehow stop working.

Just buy extra solar panels wink.png

I wish I had space!

Petrol vapour is highly flammable and heavier than air. A boat is a terrible place for petrol vapour as it collects in the bottom as a nice mix of petrol and air, ready to be ignited by your coal fire, fridge, cigarette lighter...

Diesel is hard to vapourise or set fire to

If you check the BSS, you'll find a whole load of extra stuff to do with petrol on boats

Richard

• Greenie 1

I know your joking but with a bit of tweaking its not a bad idea. tongue.png

I wasn't joking.frusty.gif

As RLWP says, petrol is highly volatile, heavier than air and petrol generators tend to sweat a bit of petrol from their fuel pipes, carburetter ect, the tank will also have a breather where fumes can escape from.

Edited by bizzard

Petrol genny running on the roof? It definitely would be a breach of a number of BSS requirements. Even if you decided to think sod the BSS, doing this would almost certainly invalidate your insurance, so when you set fire to your boat and damage others in the process you may find yourself in serious shit. As has been said, petrol gennys should only be run on the bank.

I don't think the many safety concerns aired above are the main problem with this idea. The main problem is one that doesn't have a name and can only be described loosely as "well, it works, but after a short while I found I couldn't be bothered to use it anymore". This flaw is one that afflicts many brilliant inventions, in fact most of mine now I come to think about it.

You must have seen a few boats where the box with the genny in is abaft the tiller mounted over the stern fender. Would not that be a safer prospect for you. With a few pulleys, switch move and, maybe a grommet in the back doors you could still remote it?

You must have seen a few boats where the box with the genny in is abaft the tiller mounted over the stern fender. Would not that be a safer prospect for you. With a few pulleys, switch move and, maybe a grommet in the back doors you could still remote it?

That is a possible idea. It depends whether I can make it look right on the back of the boat. I do understand peoples points about carbon monoxide, but relating them back to other existing products on boats I don't see how it can be a concern. Equally the generator is just as unlikely to blow up as a hair dryer but that doesn't stop people using them. If I put it on the towpath and it blew up it would cover our doors in flaming petrol so i'd still die (especially when the petrol would also be all over the gas lockers).

If there was a fire involving the generator and the whole thing was alight, then turning off the isolating switch won't do much and will get me burnt in the process. If I had a fire on the inside of the boat then yes, I might climb up on the roof to remove the generator and the 1l of petrol, but to be honest i'm somewhat more concerned about the 26kg of propane sitting less than an inch from the doors and the fuel tanks close by. If there is a fire on the boat I will get out and keep my distance. The same as anyone else would. I'm sure in anyone else's narrowboat, in the event of a fire you do not go back inside the burning boat to isolate the engine. Because when hot enough (and fire is hot enough to do this) the diesel will burn in just the same way as any other fuel.

If i then spill petrol on the roof (which isn't that likely if I were to remove the generator to the bank) then it will flow off the roof and onto the canal because there are no vents or windows where the generator would go that could allow petrol entry. Its when I move the petrol in the jerry can into the petrol locker on the deck by the doors that I need to be careful, and since our engine runs on petrol I am used to being careful if refuelling, and keeping the doors and windows closed.

As mentioned if the CO from either the generator or the engine or the stove or the central heating were to (in a freak gust of wind) blow the carbon monoxide through the closed window and into the boat, disabling the two CO alarms then yes I would have a big problem to deal with but my understanding of CO is that it can't go through glass and doesn't disable CO alarms.

The noise issue is one which is untested. However the generator is the quietest on the market, and using the surrounding noise reduction system it is the same noise level on all sides, so pointing it in one direction wont reduce it. It hardly vibrates and I am sure that having put it on its rubber feet on a layer or rubber on a soft noise insulation pad, in a box, insulated on all four sides, with an open top I am sure that it will be far better.

I bought a while ago a cheap 2 stroke generator from machine mart. It sounded like a bad lawnmower and was only bearable when I tried putting it on the roof for the 20 minutes I used it before selling it. The roof was the best and most quiet place for it. and it sounded more distant.

And finally the petrol engine on the boat has no isolating switch yet has passed its BSS countless times.

I genuinely can't see why you can't just put the generator on the bank. Any fumes or CO will blow away harmlessly, and there will be no transmitted vibration or noise. It's easy enou to secure it with a padlock and chain, either to the boat or to mooring pins, bank piling, or similar.

Yes, running a petrol generator is not without risk, wherever you run it, and the risk of anything going wrong if you are careful and sensible is small. It is more risky to run it on the roof than on the bank, and the consequences of anything going wrong are so serious- death through explosion or CO- that even if it's a remote possibility, most people will not and advise not to risk it.

[quote name="Doodlebug" post=

And finally the petrol engine on the boat has no isolating switch yet has passed its BSS countless times.

Are you running a petrol engined steel narrow boat or a petrol engined GRP cruiser?

Fixing to a steel roof would be much easier and stronger than to fibreglass.

Bod

It seems to me that the only reason you're wedded to putting the genny on the roof is so you can start it remotely. As many on here have pointed out, there are a few issues with this, including risk of fumes entering the boat and the cabin acting like a resonator, making it very noisy in there. Am I missing something here? All this just because you're too lazy to start the genny normally? Come on!!!! Just go out outside and do it properly. You'll still have to go outside to fill the petrol.

i have had a gen. On top of my sailboat for yrs. With openings all around it. No problems, im sill alive. I world be more concerned if I had to live with a coal or wood stove. Yes it is a little noisey cause I couldnt afford a Honda, but now Honda has compaion at halve the price i took the cardboard box it came in and fiberglassed and epoxy it for a cover. Ilm afraid you are going to have to man up and put on some close to start it. I think your going to have to choke it and pull the starter a few more times when its cold. And check oil and take off cover. Will not run with any sort of cover, overheat and or choke out. MAN UP

I am amazed how many unhelpful answers I have had, again I'm not trying to argue anything but I said its a pull start generator so why I am being told that I should buy a different one with a starter motor or I should wire up the motor (that doesn't exist) differently I don't know.

Equally parrotguy, telling me to 'man up' is just aso pointless. Just because something is not essential doesnt mean it shouldnt be tried. When your internet or computer stops working and you ask what you need to do to fix it, I wouldnt answer and tell you to man up and use an internet cafe. And if your boat sinks I wouldnt say you should man up and swim.

I am glad people are saying i should be careful of health and safety and I am glad some of those things have been pointed out so that I can take precautions- At least they are constructive. I am going to consider how I can avoid putting it on the roof but if I do I will take care not to do anything stupid.

You should have a go. The risks to general public are very small and to you only slightly higher, and it is safer than some sports. But the idea has no commercial future whatsoever and I think you would be happier with a project that could evolve into something saleable?

I am also curious as to why the generator manufacturers are adamant that you can't extend the exhaust or box the machine. If it were possible you would think that they would provide bits and pieces to support it to extend the possible uses of the machine and therefore the number they could sell?

A petrol genny that could be built in, now I would be interested in one of those.

You should have a go. The risks to general public are very small and to you only slightly higher, and it is safer than some sports. But the idea has no commercial future whatsoever and I think you would be happier with a project that could evolve into something saleable?

I am also curious as to why the generator manufacturers are adamant that you can't extend the exhaust or box the machine. If it were possible you would think that they would provide bits and pieces to support it to extend the possible uses of the machine and therefore the number they could sell?

A petrol genny that could be built in, now I would be interested in one of those.

I've been tempted to do this in the past and agree I see no real reason why not. If you were to connect to the exhaust and then taper out to a bigger pipe I can't see any reason why this cant be done. I have a feeling it's simply a point of legality that if someone does it and something goes wrong, then the fact the manufacturer didn't say they shouldn't do it would make them liable. That's the problem now a days, you get more info on what you shouldn't do with a product than you do on how to operate it LOL

I've seen many instances where exhausts have been extended. A car engine's exhaust is a good 16 feet away from the engine. You can purchase good quality flexible exhaust ducting and divert exhaust gasses upward in much the same way as some boat engines are exhausted through the roof. I'm sure someone out there has done or is doing something similar.

Got me thinking now, I might experiment with the Kipor Genny I have LOL