Spiders

canals are us?

Featured Posts

How come I get so many garden spiders in my boat? I don't think I've ever seen one in a house although I'm sure you get them in conservatories.

So how do they know the difference?

europeangardenspiderxx_zps241f0455.jpg

Me too - and tbh, I'm quite glad about it as well (as an Arachnophobe). Thing is, most 'Arachnophobes' are only really fearful of House Spiders and not (for me certainly) Garden Spiders. I will happily pick a Garden Spider up and help he/she on their way (on the jetty say), but a large House Spider forget it. There is something 'prime evil' about House Spiders that affect the human psyche in some people.

Years ago I even had a Red Knee'd Tarantula as a pet and would allow it to run up my arm, tentatively, but I would allow it; even though after a year or so I decided to give it away. But, a House Spider forget it....

Edited by Orca

(I have spent a few happy hours watching them pounce and wrap flies up - it's amazing to watch).

Blimey, Ange, are you related to Madame Defarge? Perhaps you knit while you are watching these executions?

Spiders fascinate me - the way they spin their webs, and the way they locomote successfully despite having eight legs to cope with (let's face it, some of us can make a muck-up of trying to get about on two legs). I am told that they like dry places, so the presence of spiders means that you have a dry boat.

For some time we had one living under the bit of carpet in the hall of our house. He must have measured at least three inches across the legs. At night Boris, as I called him, would sally forth on fly-catching missions. Mrs. Athy, it has to be said, did not share my enthusiasm for him.

Come to think of it I don't know much about spiders. I must look them up on the web.

Edited by Athy

Just been researching spiders on the web. Apparently they "taste" through their feet and they dislike chestnut oil, lemon or citrus oil so will not cross say a hatch that has been wiped round with anything they don't like. A chestnut on a windowsill is also said to be effective.

I have to come out in favour of chestnut oil in the end, due to the large amount of lore regarding its use. Just remembered we have a spray bottle of "No More Spiders" under the sink. If I can find it under the webs, I'll give it a try.

• 2 years later...

It's a fact, spiders love boats. Boats tend to be warm and dry, they are good hopping off points to and from nearby trees and grassy areas, they contain good nesting spots and they are often left undisturbed for weeks or months giving them ample time to breed. So, you can't blame them for taking up residence. However, it's up to you whether you want to share your precious space with them. You wouldn't want to share it with rats or mice so why should you want to share it with spiders or anything else that creeps or crawls? It's a personal choice.

I choose not to share Skylark with creatures that should live the great outdoors so, when I find a living thing, of any description, I release it by hand back into its natural habitat.

I have tried things to discourage spiders like placing conkers around the boat but I think their effectiveness is doubtful. It seems to me that the time when you can collect conkers tends to coincide with the time spiders are thinking about hibernating so you think you have ousted them but in fact they have just crawled into the cracks behind your kitchen cupboards and light fittings. Then, next season, they pop out to carry on doing what they love doing.

So, take your pick. Learn to live with them or release them. But in my opinion, killing them should not be on your list of things to do.

I had a spider and woodlice issue in my flat but after using this sprayed around the skirting boards once a month problem solved.

Not sure if it works on boats though, I guess I will find out soon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00KGHTRDS/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1458054375&sr=8-2π=SY200_QL40&keywords=protector+c&dpPl=1&dpID=41qGzV6-ZJL&ref=plSrch

post-24819-0-10056000-1458054756_thumb.jpg

I had a spider and woodlice issue in my flat but after using this sprayed around the skirting boards once a month problem solved.

Not sure if it works on boats though, I guess I will find out soon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00KGHTRDS/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1458054375&sr=8-2π=SY200_QL40&keywords=protector+c&dpPl=1&dpID=41qGzV6-ZJL&ref=plSrch

Not bad considering that it's described as "insecticidal" but neither spiders nor woodlice are insects! Is there anything it won't kill?

Not bad considering that it's described as "insecticidal" but neither spiders nor woodlice are insects! Is there anything it won't kill?

Not sure but my flat has no more crawlers.

Errrrr puts feet under the duvet.

I better get use to them soon.

Edited by GreyLady

I warn spiders well in advance that they are not allowed inside my boat, on pain of death.

It's their own fault if they then get stomped, or eaten by Poops.

(Mrs Loafer isn't too happy, but I've heard her shriek a couple of times when she sees a big one.)

I warn spiders well in advance that they are not allowed inside my boat, on pain of death.

It's their own fault if they then get stomped, or eaten by Poops.

(Mrs Loafer isn't too happy, but I've heard her shriek a couple of times when she sees a big one.)

I am in bed honest Loafer, but maybe you could advertise your boat on the 'Web' and start charging those unwanted tenants.

If our boat gets infested I will put my cat onboard, he torments spiders as a hobby for hours pulling off their legs one by one.

(I think he needs a psychological assesement)

Edited by GreyLady

I am in bed honest Loafer, but maybe you could advertise your boat on the 'Web' and start charging those unwanted tenants.

If our boat gets infested I will put my cat onboard, he torments spiders as a hobby for hours pulling off their legs one by one.

(I think he needs a psychological assesement)

I only have a small generator, but my 40A charger should deal with 'em!

16218919821_05d174f86b_b.jpg

Its early autumn here in Australia.

Hot weather is still with us , and the Huntsman spiders are active.

This one most likely came from the eucalyptus tree just outside the river boat I`m building.

Harmless.

Much as I don't mind spiders and have been known to pick them up and gently evict them from areas I designate to be spider free..the settee and my bed oh and in the corner of the bath there is no-way no matter how "harmless" I'd pick those beauties up.

I recently had a large wolf spider in my house which had the habit of trundling around my floor, over my feet (I don't wear slippers) and generally being distracting.

I really like spiders and, before my eyesight went south, enjoyed such encounters as they gave me a chance to enjoy my hobby of macro photography. So I'm averse to squishing them.

However, this christmas a well meaning friend bought me a toy quadcopter and as a result I now have the fun of flying/hovering over the top of the intruder and scaring the hell out of him with the downdraft.

He has stopped visiting my feet and tends to skulk along the wall edges on the rare occasions when he comes out into the light.

No spiders were harmed in the making of this post

Edited by tidal

16218919821_05d174f86b_b.jpg

I actually like spiders & even had a red kneed tarantula as a pet in the 1980s but that spider...NO WAY !Trina

Its early autumn here in Australia.

Hot weather is still with us , and the Huntsman spiders are active.

This one most likely came from the eucalyptus tree just outside the river boat I`m building.

Harmless.

Edited by The Bearwood Boster