Bcn Stoppages, Wolverhampton 21 And Minworth Update

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

gallery_5000_522_75431.jpg

From Dean Davies, Waterway Manager:

There has been a few updates gone out for the closures at Minworth and Wolverhampton in the last 24 hours so I thought I’d send you a bit more info for you to get out there.

The good news is that Wolverhampton is progressing well and we will be open on Monday morning with assisted passage through the lock between the hours of 9am and 6pm. The contractor will be on hand all day to pen boats through the lock whilst above water level works progress. We obviously thought it better for boaters to have assisted passage during the working day than wait for the full works to be completed before opening the lock. We will make sure there are no boats left in the flight before closing up each day. I expect this procedure to be in place for approx. 1 week.

There is however slightly worse news as far as Minworth is concerned. Progress has been slower than anticipated in getting the stone haul road in to the works area – it has been necessary to install a haul road so plant and equipment can get to the location of the leak. A high pressure gas main (feeding large parts of Birmingham) is in the towpath so we were unable to use that as an route in to site. Approx. 80 tonnes of stone has been placed to the canal bed and this had got the road only half way to the works area. All this has meant we have had to delay opening until Monday morning, and a stoppage update to this effect has gone out today. I am really sorry to have to tell you this – we had genuinely hoped to be open by this Friday and we are disappointed to have to let our customers down.

I have attached some photographs of the work in progress so you can see what’s happening for yourselves – please feel free to pass these on.

· Partially repaired wall awaiting bentonite mattress and clay bund overfill

· Temporary access ramp into canal bed

· Temporary access road having to be built to allow access to site

· Bentonite mattress awaiting installation

· No pictures but temporary over pumping system installed for 250m to maintain water flows

The works at Minworth over the next few days will follow the programme outlined below:

Wednesday 7/8 Continue to install haul road in the canal bed to reach the works area, prepare works site ready for bentonite matting, install over-pumping system and dam

Thursday 8/8 Install the waterproofing (bentonite matting) and puddle clay cover

Friday 9/8 Continue matting, clay and finishing details

Saturday 10/8 Remove dam, grade-out/remove haul road in canal bed, remove ramp

Sunday 11/8 Hand back to waterway to refill, monitor repairs

Monday 12/8 Reopen to boats at 8am. Site clearance will be on-going so the contractor will need to provide labour to assist in working boats through the locks until such time as the lock side is clear and safe for the public to use.

Obviously we will continue to push the works to see if we can open earlier – which may be Sunday afternoon.

The problems at Curdworth are directly related to the closure at Minworth. Boats are starting to move up the flight in preparation for opening at Minworth and simply drawing all the water down the flight and away. This has left us short of water and to give some protection to the boaters already on the flight we have closed it to preserve the water we have. The over-pumping system at Minworth that will go in tomorrow will help with water levels on the Curdworth Flight and will bring them up to operational level in time for opening.

I hope this helps, and once again apologies for the delay at Minworth.

All the best - Dean

Dean Davies

Waterway Manager

West Midlands Waterway

T 01827 252001 M 07885 108308

Canal & River Trust, Peel’s Wharf, Lichfield Street, Fazeley, Tamworth, Staffordshire B78 3QZ

I think full credit to Dean Davies for keep putting the information out , he must be getting a lot of pressure to get these jobs done but he does CRT and himself credit IMO by keeping the communications like this coming.

Yes I agree he has done a great job and while he has been doing this important work he has also found time to be very active with our Floating Market project what a great guy and an example how a Waterways Manager should run his patch.

Was he the maintenance guy we met at the Brum meeting you organised? I can't remember.

Thanks for the info Laurence. I'm in Birmingham waiting to go to Streethay for repairs. I'm booked on the slipway for tuesday so I really hope they do get the canal reopened by 8.00am on Monday. With the Wolverhampton flght closed too, my only option was via Stourton etc which isn't really an option for me as I work full time too.

Fingers crossed.

I spoke to Dean Davies this morning and he told me that there had been further problems. The bank which they're fixing has been moving/sinking/twisting and they were still trying to remedy this yesterday. He is still hopeful that the 8.00am on Monday target will still be met but didn't sound entirely confident. I'll should have another update this afternoon.

Just spoke to Dean again and they're still on course for a monday morning opening. Can I just repeat what others have said and point out what a good guy he's been on the phone. A credit to CaRT (they need more like him) and was even happy to let me call him again on sunday (his day off) for an update.

I think I will contact head office to sing his praises!

• Greenie 1

As assisted passage from 9AM is through Lock 20, second from bottom on the Wolverhampton flight, DAK if the top lock will open earlier than this? (I am assuming that the top and bottom locks have both been locked during the closure, and will continue to be during the night until the works are completed.) I expect to be going down the 21 at the end of next week, and normally start quite early - depending on the weather!

Just arrived on the Birmingham side of Minworth locks and joined the back of a queue of six boats. I'm expecting more to arrive this afternoon.

Maybe we'll have a party tonight on this unlikely stretch of canal. Who knows? Lots of speculation on whether the canal will actually reopen at 8 tomorrow. It bloody better do!

There's still lots of activity around the locks but Dean Davies left me a voicemail which was breaking up but seemed to be saying that they were still on schedule and would start filling the pound this afternoon. I'll have a walk up in a while and report back.

Well by the look of the towpath bank and metalwork above great haywood lock, its about to collapse into the canal. Soil is saturated in the surrounds and the metal piling has dropped 5" along with the coping stones.

Perhaps we need some visitor mooring restriction bollards to hold it all together.

At Smethwick flight yesterday at first lock just as they where tapping off the paddles! Shame as looking forward to doing that route. Had a look at No 3 and sandstone copping stones dislodged badly--apparently by an ascending boat l was informed. Looked like quite a big job to escavate bricks behind and relocate.

Reversing out managed to collect load of crap on the prop and dislodged rudder--thank goodness for those islands on the BCN mainline took 2 hours to clean off only to collect old tyre on departingangry.png

Simon

At least Smethwick Locks are very easily avoided. Still it's worrying that the BCN is having this many problems in the first full season under CaRT control. Coincidence? Maybe!

I was planning to go that way at the end of the week. The nearest diversions are Spon Lane and The Gower Branch, but I believe there is a very low bridge on the latter. DAK how low?

I was planning to go that way at the end of the week. The nearest diversions are Spon Lane and The Gower Branch, but I believe there is a very low bridge on the latter. DAK how low?

I can't think where or why. There are only three, I think. Two standard towpath bridges top and bottom, and a road bridge

Anyway, go up the Spon locks, it's surprisingly pretty

Richard

The bridge is marked as 6'6" but its in the intermediate pound between the single lock and the staircase. We went up the locks today, the pound in between was low but taking it easy got us through. As an estimate, it was about 6" lower than its normal level, but the water was very clear and I could see 3 traffic cones submerged in the water, and they're about 2 1/2 feet tall so the pound was still about 3 foot deep in between the locks. So in total, about 10 foot clearance (water draft + air draft).

If that's Brades hall locks, the headroom is a little low but not too bad. The issue is a supporting steel girder under the bridge which is perhaps not immediately visible if you aren't paying attention. I recall having to take the cratch down on our previous boat, but then being surprised that there was plenty of spare headroom on Telemachus. Maybe depends on the water levels.

Looks like it's a go... Just heard from CRT (via man on boat in front) are on the way down from Minworth locks opening the locks up!

Sorry I didn't realise it was you yesterday.

At our end, we were all ready to go at 8 but hadn't reckoned on a typical CaRT/BW cock up. It seems that the whole world knew the padlocks were due to come off at 8.00am except the guy with the key!!!!!! He eventually rolled up just before ten to be properly glared at by a group of disgruntled boaters. Anyway, we got going eventually and I was ably assisted again through Curdworth Locks by the noble crew of the HMS Arbutus. By the time I got to Hopwas I was starting to feel wearing (I think it was the general stress of the day) but by the time I got to Huddlesford, the clouds had broken and the sun was just glorious, casting long shadows across the cut. It was late in the day and no other boats were moving. The only people I saw were barbecuing alongside their boats. The whole scene was one of those which sometimes makes boating so perfect. I slowed to just above tick-over to make the journey last longer!! And I must confess to having a little sing...

Sorry I didn't realise it was you yesterday.

At our end, we were all ready to go at 8 but hadn't reckoned on a typical CaRT/BW cock up. It seems that the whole world knew the padlocks were due to come off at 8.00am except the guy with the key!!!!!! He eventually rolled up just before ten to be properly glared at by a group of disgruntled boaters. Anyway, we got going eventually and I was ably assisted again through Curdworth Locks by the noble crew of the HMS Arbutus. By the time I got to Hopwas I was starting to feel wearing (I think it was the general stress of the day) but by the time I got to Huddlesford, the clouds had broken and the sun was just glorious, casting long shadows across the cut. It was late in the day and no other boats were moving. The only people I saw were barbecuing alongside their boats. The whole scene was one of those which sometimes makes boating so perfect. I slowed to just above tick-over to make the journey last longer!! And I must confess to having a little sing...

Well done for your perseverance and making it on schedule in the end!

Good to hear you arrived safely, hope you're fully refreshed this morning.

There were a lot of chinese whispers going around but we too got moving about 10ish. Was quite funny at one point when one boat who'd been there for a number of days got upset that another boat podged the queue. The podger arrived quite late on Sunday evening and went straight past all the other boats not realising we were all queueing. Upset a few as they all struggled past him on the lock landing rather than just let him go... Jeez, what's up with folks!!!

Anyway, we made it on the the BCN with all good intentions of mooring at Cuckoo Wharf. Unfortunately when we got there at about 4.30ish there was a sign saying it was 'residential mooring only'. We pushed off only to then see the 14 day moorings a little further on (although I couldn't see anything about visitor moorings), in the confusion we carried on but by this time I was getting worried we'd have to do the whole 20+ locks into Gas Street. Fortunately we spotted some offside moorings just after Aston Lock 9 at Crystal Court... Turned out to be just fine, not 'countryside' pretty but very secure with lots of CCTV and a security watchman patrolling every hour.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/JPlowman/The%20Cats%20Whiskers/Tewksbury%20Trip/057_zpsf02be5cb.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/JPlowman/The%20Cats%20Whiskers/Tewksbury%20Trip/060_zps47268334.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/JPlowman/The%20Cats%20Whiskers/Tewksbury%20Trip/058_zps4e3aecf7.jpg