Narrow Boat And Rower In Collision On Thames

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Been to the other side today trying out some of these.

null-63.jpg

Bit of a try before you buy as we are considering getting one for messing about on the river.

Flighty little buggers mind. They don't need much wind to get a move on and they can't half shift!

You are already on the other side Phylis!?

Tell you what, I've never empathised more with Phylis as a user of a different type of boat that's in a minority.

I think it's incredibly misguided to make broad brush accusatory statements like some have done here. Apparently, the moment I sit down in a rowing boat, I lose all my knowledge of how to navigate, sound signals, and become 'an idiot' as multiple posters have suggested. These generalisations are as false as stating that all powered craft owners go out of their way to disrupt rowing races deliberately, because one boat did so once.

I don't deny that there are some people who behave in a manner that brings the sport into disrepute. The biggest problem as a rower is other rowers doing stupid things- stopping dead in front of me, cutting me up, or being in the wrong place. If a rowing boat hits a rowing boat, neither will fare very well, whereas if a rower hits or is hit by a powered craft, the powered craft is likely to escape serious damage, and the occupants are far less likely to be hurt. It's pretty obvious who should be careful and on the lookout for their own safety!

A lot of this stems from a completely different attitude towards being on the water. In my narrowboat, I can enjoy the scenery and surroundings. If rowing, I'm focussed on how to get from A to B as quickly and efficiently as possible. Even if not racing, when paddling along the aim is to improve technique and fitness so as to be able to race faster.

It's a completely different mindset to boating in a powered craft, and this will affect how I feel about what's going on on the river. If a particular set of exercises is disrupted, or I have to stop just when a certain improvement in technique has started to take an effect, that will be very frustrating and annoying. Some rowers are able to deal with this well, but others in a small minority may well deal with it badly and take it out on someone who is really blameless.

I am genuinely sorry and upset that a few people have coloured the experiences of so many forum users- but don't tar everyone with the same brush.

Edited by FadeToScarlet
  • Greenie 2

Shooting Potter Heigham Bridge Norfolk Broads Three Rivers Race....jump to 1'30" to see how it's done properly.

ok. I'm impressed. Although it does resemble me, rushing to the front of the widebeam to remove the TV aerial pole before going under a low bridge ;-)

Maybe they should just rewrite the rules so that everything gives way to narrowboats.

Oh hang on most owners of such craft seem to think that's the case anyway so there is no need....

No better idea. Rewrite the rules so that any vessel not capable of taking avoiding action to avoid unpowered vessels can not be on the waterway.

I prefer that one.

How on earth can you possibly say a plastic scull doing 10-20 miles an hour is unpowered?

The little bastards I ran into at Henley were on the WRONG side of the river, and turned across my bow only a few feet away. I was less than twenty feet from the right hand bank where the fishing pontoons are, south of Temple Island, closer to the lock than I was to the course. I was still traveling forward but in reverse when I hit these f***ing idiots (who were not looking where they were going).

Despite the coaches protestations they were clearly in the wrong. I had nowhere to go and they were a good 70 feet if not more from their bank. Quote from the Lockie "Sculls are a pain in the f***ing arse. they cause all sorts of problems leading up to Henley week.

One Maidenhead 4 man Scull 2K damage one Narrow boat 20p damage. Result!!!!

The Thames hand book is quite explicit.

The most manoeuvrable craft moves out of the way of the least manoeuvrable craft.

• Greenie 2

I managed to sink a rowing 8 under lea bridge road as they weren't looking where they were going I was right over as far as I could go and under the bridge when they suddenly appeared and ploughed straight into the side of me!! when they started swearing I just laughed at them and carried on my journey (I wasn't the first and doubt I was the last to sink one of these kamakazi idiots under that bridge! they have no idea and respect for other river users!

That reminds me, you never see a rowist with a life jacket. Kayakists yes, canoeists yes, but not rowists. Wether in a group or alone.

You will occasionally see junior rowers on their first couple of outings in buoyancy aids, but you won't see any serious racing crews in life jackets with the exception of the coxswain.

The reason is that it is impractical and potentially dangerous to wear one when rowing seriously and hard. Any loose or baggy item near the stomach can get caught on the handle of the blade (oar) and this can tip them in, if in a small boat such as a scull, or injure them if in a larger boat such as an eight. This is the reason for the tight Lycra clothing!

How on earth can you possibly say a plastic scull doing 10-20 miles an hour is unpowered?

The little bastards I ran into at Henley were on the WRONG side of the river, and turned across my bow only a few feet away. I was less than twenty feet from the right hand bank where the fishing pontoons are, south of Temple Island, closer to the lock than I was to the course. I was still traveling forward but in reverse when I hit these f***ing idiots (who were not looking where they were going).

Despite the coaches protestations they were clearly in the wrong. I had nowhere to go and they were a good 70 feet if not more from their bank. Quote from the Lockie "Sculls are a pain in the f***ing arse. they cause all sorts of problems leading up to Henley week.

One Maidenhead 4 man Scull 2K damage one Narrow boat 20p damage. Result!!!!

The Thames hand book is quite explicit.

The most manoeuvrable craft moves out of the way of the least manoeuvrable craft.

Where can I download a copy of the thames handbook that you're quoting from?

I still think it's both common sense and best practice to keep a sharp lookout and sound the horn WELL in advance.

Not denying that a small but significant minority of rowers (and coaches!) are muppets, but the same applies to all boaters, narrowboaters included. mellow.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Where can I download a copy of the thames handbook that you're quoting from?

I still think it's both common sense and best practice to keep a sharp lookout and sound the horn WELL in advance.

Not denying that a small but significant minority of rowers (and coaches!) are muppets, but the same applies to all boaters, narrowboaters included. mellow.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Links part way down the page on here -

http://www.thamescruising.co.uk/wordpress/?p=67

There are a number of handbooks and guides on the Environment Agency website:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/133183.aspx

The first one looks the most useful - see page 7 or so onwards. I don't think this is on the website that the Dog House is referring to.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

There are a number of handbooks and guides on the Environment Agency website:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/133183.aspx

The first one looks the most useful - see page 7 or so onwards. I don't think this is on the website that the Dog House is referring to.

Thanks Simon - I have added your link to the Thames Cruising page (and removed the dates on the stoppages).