£100 Fine For Overstaying On 24 Hour Mooring

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

Seems like the EA are not messing about in Oxford Area LINK>>>>>>>>>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-23527678?SThisFB

Oxford boat users in mooring fine pilot

A pilot mooring fine scheme has begun in Oxford aimed at helping river users find available spaces.

The six-month trial by the Environment Agency (EA) will see boat owners along the River Thames at East Street fined £100 if they overstay.

Currently boat owners can stop for free on public open land owned by the Environment Agency for 24 hours.

It is due to be extended along the river to Weybridge and Walton upon Thames from 15 August.

Nick McKie-Smith at the EA said: "Misuse of moorings is widespread along the River Thames.

"By enforcing mooring rules we hope to increase access to our free 24-hour moorings, making more moorings available."

The fines will be issued on behalf of the EA by a parking enforcement company.

Parking Enforcement Company!!!!

Not just Oxford quite a few of the EA moorings had signs on them about this enforcement. Pity CRT don't have the same powers.

I would say the opposite as it is not the direction I would like CaRT to take though it would not affect me much if they did, depending on what former overstayers at VMs did instead?

And on that thread i said the mooring was 24 hour free, then the next 48 hours at £5 per 24 hour period up to 72 hours when it is £50 per day.

I mentioned the plan to the Lockie who of course knew about it but was not able to give much info, but he seemed to think it was those who stayed more than 72hours the enforcement was aimed at...

So now i am wondering when i want to stay Friday and Saturday - having paid my £5 - would i now be in trouble with the authorities?!

If you do not overstay what is the problem??

My concern would be for boaters who may have genuine reasons to stay put and how that is dealt with.

River moorings are somewhat more valuable than canal ones because there are fewer mooring opportunities.

I can see the logic in the EA being a bit more keen as their boaters don't have miles of towpath at their disposal.

River moorings are somewhat more valuable than canal ones because there are fewer mooring opportunities.

I can see the logic in the EA being a bit more keen as their boaters don't have miles of towpath at their disposal.

Yes, so if you do not overstay why be worried?? Edited by The Dog House

They are also being hounded by their boaters' associations for new and inventive ways of raising funds. This action could be a starting point, killing birds with stones, as it were.

Unlike CaRT EA can't raise extra funds and what they have (or thought they had) has been cut twice this year. It doesn't affect canal visitors much, but it certainly affects the locals.