Paid Research For Boat Owners!

Researchopinions

Featured Posts

Hello,

We are currently organising a research project where we are looking to speak with boat owners, this could be either small boats such as narrow boats or larger boats. This will take the form of a 1.5 hour Face to Face focus group to be conducted at a central Midlands location on either the 12th or 13th of August.

Anyone participating will receive £80 as a thank you for their time. The research will be informal and very interesting.

If you would like to take part, please email charlotte.neild@researchopinions.co.uk with these details:

• Your name
  • Telephone number
  • Which type of boat do you own?
  • Do you have insurance for your boat and if so who is it with?

Someone will give you a call to run through a few questions. We do only have limited spaces on these research sessions so please get back to us as soon as you can.

Subject

Boat owners

Date

Monday 12th or Tuesday 13th August

Time

Various timeslots

Incentive & Duration

£80 for 1.5 hours

Central Location TBC

Please be assured that this is purely market research and no sales will be involved whatsoever.

We are bound by the Market Research Society’s code of conduct. Anything you say during our Market Research sessions will remain confidential and will in no way be related back to you or the business. The Market Research Society provides a free-phone number for you to verify this – 0500 39 69 99.

Many Thanks :)

d'oh i need glasses

The OP's location is given as Midlands so my guess would be Birmingham - but TBC

ed ah - you've seen it.

Edited by The Dog House

If it looks too good to be true ........

Not neccesarily, this kind of market research takes place all the time. In the last year I took part in one for Saros Research (Go and register on their site) which was about selling on Ebay. We arranged a time and met in Birmingham, I turned up, gave them my name, they gave me an envelope with £50 cash and said "we'll call you through soon, help yourself to drinks and food while you wait".

They called us through, about 6 or 8 in the group, we answered questions in an informal group discussion for an hour and a half (with another plate of food and drinks in front of us!) and then went home and never heard anything back, no "now we need you to..." or "would you be interested in".... the only thing I have heard back is invitations to more research events.

Personally if I were a boat owner, I'd take them up on this offer, If you're in doubt just make sure they give you the cash before you start your "interview".

Hello,

Thank you for your responses. The group will be along the lines of what Heat Exchanger Guy has described.

Market research is a tool used by companies in order to better understand the needs of consumers.The sole premise of the focus group is to canvass your opinions, good or bad, on the chosen topic. You can be assured that taking part in an interview will NOT result in any approach of a sales or promotional nature. Any and all information gained through the medium of market research is considered private and strictly confidential. For this reason, nothing you say or do in any market research event will be made directly attributable to you at any time after the research has taken place. Your thoughts and opinions will only be used anonymously, in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.

For more information please call the Market Research Society on 0207 490 4911.

www.mrs.org.uk

Or our website - www.researchopinions.co.uk

Many Thanks,

Well I got my response and they only want people aged 50 and over which means that she has wasted peoples' time, especially mine as I spent the morning passing on her details to folk who'd not seen them until LM okayed the thread.

• Greenie 1

Carl - it may not be that they only wanted people aged over 50 to start with. Most markey research requires a cross section of people and there is likely to be a quota based on age / sex and possibly a few other various things thrown in to give a good mix to the people who participate. I worked for years as a market research interviewer and this type of group was quite usual.

I would suggest anyone who can spare the time and is in the area (and who fits the quota they are looking for) goes along.

I was once in the position of recruiting for a group similar to this but we had to find people who had bought certain makes and models of car in the last 18 months. All the cars in the quota were from the higher end of the market - Range Rover, larger BMW's, Jaguar etc. Needless to say once I had got past the point of checking the potential respondents age, working status and checking they had actually chosen the car they were driving themselves it did not take me too long to recruit them to take part in a session of research that involved a day of their time at a major race circuit test driving a range of cars. Refreshments were supplied free of charge, travel expenses were paid and they got paid for their time too!

....... form an orderly queue there people! biggrin.png

Quite right Carl - I'm a bit annoyed too. I sent off an email with the information requested (including my location). I then got an email asking for my location (which I patiently responded to!) Then I got an email saying they were only interested in over 50s and could I ask other people I know to apply! After wasting my time, I don't think I will. After all, will they then decide they're only interested in people with ginger hair or something else?

Not very professional IMHO.

• Greenie 1

Carl - it may not be that they only wanted people aged over 50 to start with. Most markey research requires a cross section of people and there is likely to be a quota based on age / sex and possibly a few other various things thrown in to give a good mix to the people who participate. I worked for years as a market research interviewer and this type of group was quite usual.

Possibly but it has a whiff of Saga about it so I suspect more time (and travel expenses) would be wasted if I was to turn up uninvited (assuming they even release details to anyone not selected).

I think it is wrong if there are parameters set for the discussion group that have not been made obvious at the outset but as I say, it is perfectly possible that the quote they are looking for only required 1 or 2 people aged under 50 and once they have them they will have to refuse people who are not over 50. It could be they are now looking for 3 people with ginger hair, 2 blondes, 5 brunettes and a bald guy with a beard (the last one being the easiest to find among this forum) they will not be able at this point to openly suggest exactly what they need because there are likely to be other parameters for the quota too. It will become a problem when they need to find the last person, a woman with ginger hair, aged over 50 who only has one leg and has both her grandparents still allive. ..... at least when I was working to quota's on market research the very last one always felt as hard to find as that elusive red head I describe