Ccer's - Rebranding

Wanted

Featured Posts

So, sat up in bed contemplating my navel when it occurred to me that our CCing friends are missing a trick in responding to their opponents.

We read a lot about how CCers are getting something for nothing and that the should pay more for street lamps and rubbish bins.

However, I am really grateful that we have a dedicated first response team all over the network that can and will call in the right people when faced with issues such as maintenance and vandalism. In fact, just by moving a boat through ensures a canals survival.

So, to the haters, doubters and even our masters, next time you think about complaining about continuous cruisers, consider them as waterways guardians and it may not seem so bad. (Maybe they should get a cheaper license for the work they do?)

Enough, back to my navel!

Rob (non CCer but gratful for em!)

Edited by Wanted
  • Greenie 4

So, sat up in bed contemplating my navel when it occurred to me that our CCing friends are missing a trick in responding to their opponents.

We read a lot about how CCers are getting something for nothing and that the should pay more for street lamps and rubbish bins.

However, I am really grateful that we have a dedicated first response team all over the network that can and will call in the right people when faced with issues such as maintenance and vandalism. In fact, just by moving a boat through ensures a canals survival.

So, to the haters, doubters and even our masters, next time you think about complaining about continuous cruisers, consider them as waterways guardians and it may not seem so bad. (Maybe they should get a cheaper license for the work they do?)

Enough, back to my navel!

Rob (non CCer but gratful for em!)

The point is that many CCers (including many who comply with the law) move far LESS than leisure boaters

CCrs arnt a problem its the CMs that are the problem! WE need boats on the system moving all over what we dont need are enclaves of boats that dont want to pay for moorings blocking up the waterways for months and in some cases years!! Will now put on my crash helmet and hide in my fall out shelter Ha ha

Peter

• Greenie 1

The non-genuine CCing looks like a grim existence to me. Holding down a job but having to generate your own electricity and heat each evening, having a different commute every few weeks, getting kids to school, spending every Sunday afternoon fetching water. Just looks plain grim!

The non-genuine CCing looks like a grim existence to me. Holding down a job but having to generate your own electricity and heat each evening, having a different commute every few weeks, getting kids to school, spending every Sunday afternoon fetching water. Just looks plain grim!

Well this is why I find it amusing when they're being accused of scrounging and somehow getting away with something. Getting away with what, exactly? Would not want to give my mooring up to move around the inner city with all the problems that this brings, queuing up of a weekend at the ever diminishing water points.

If anyone else does, then fair play to them but it's not for me!

I'm not sure how you define non-genuine CCing but some of the best years of my life were spent CCing to the satisfaction of BW, your satisfaction being irrelevant to me (though ended when the logistics of getting a child to school plus two adults to work just couldn't be worked out).

I'm not sure why "having to generate your own electricity and heat each evening" needs to be "grim". Do you imagine we sit pedalling an exercise bike attached to a dynamo all evening?

The different commute added to the fun for me, getting to know different places, spotting new, hidden away spots to visit, certainly never "grim".

As for the water problem I found filling up a 25l water butt at work every few days to be far less hassle than looking for a BW water point all the time so the tanks only got topped up when travelling and rarely ran out.

As for holding down a job doesn't that depend on how good you are at it, rather than your lifestyle?

yeah, but Carl, you cced in the countryside, it's a bit different to how it is here - I'd quite happily do what you did but in the capital? Naah.

Sorry I was under the impression that CWDF was a nationwide forum.

I will refrain from commenting from the point of view of the "provincial" boater in future. wink.png

"Cor Blimey! Lav a Dak! I've got jellied eels wrapped round my prop again!"

I'm not sure why "having to generate your own electricity and heat each evening" needs to be "grim". Do you imagine we sit pedalling an exercise bike attached to a dynamo all evening?

err... you have to be home by 7pm every evening or it is a cold shower for you in the morning. Not very conducive to a demanding job or a vibrant social life?

err... you have to be home by 7pm every evening or it is a cold shower for you in the morning. Not very conducive to a demanding job or a vibrant social life?

Only if you create hot water by running the engine

Richard

err...my electricity generated itself whilst I was at work thanks to solar panels and the Paloma has no time restrictions on usage so I could come home any time I fancied.

I think that the problem lies in the term ccers. Why change it? Is means Constant Cruiser which is wrong and gives people the wrong impression. Even the most conforming constant cruisers do not constantly cruise.

At best, they move on (or are supposed to) more than the rest of the people who utilize the network.

Please be assured thatpeoplewho have children at school and a full time permanent job are not ccers. The may move about when forced but they are not ccers.

Please be assured thatpeoplewho have children at school and a full time permanent job are not ccers. The may move about when forced but they are not ccers.

Please be assured that it is quite possible to CC in some parts of the country and hold down a full time job and, now that I am self-employed with a workshop 2 minutes walk from my sons' school I could even CC with kids now.

Edited to add: and I was never forced to move.

Edited by carlt

I think that the problem lies in the term ccers. Why change it? Is means Constant Cruiser

No is doesn't - though I hope that most cruising couples are constant and faithful. Is means "Continuous Cruiser". Edited by Athy

Please be assured that it is quite possible to CC in some parts of the country and hold down a full time job and, now that I am self-employed with a workshop 2 minutes walk from my sons' school I could even CC with kids now.

Edited to add: and I was never forced to move.

With fear and dread of starting the same old arguments again, surely you were using your boat bona fida for a residence, with the navigation bit a side issue that you had to comply with? In other words your boat's primary use was as your home, its secondary use which you could have taken or left, was for travelling round (a very limited) part of the system.

Were you compliant with the law? Or just clever enough to keep yourself "off the radar"?

Edited by nicknorman

Were you compliant with the law? Or just clever enough to keep yourself "off the radar"?

In view of the fact he was in contact with the enforcement officers, I'm not sure any of assumptions stand

It is quite possible to live without the fear of the The Law descending upon you - talking to people is a very simple way of doing it

Richard

Edited by RLWP

With fear and dread of starting the same old arguments again, surely you were using your boat bona fida for a residence, with the navigation bit a side issue that you had to comply with? In other words your boat's primary use was as your home, its secondary use which you could have taken or left, was for travelling round (a very limited) part of the system.

No I was not keeping "off the radar" in fact I was very much in contact with BW throughout the time I lived on my boats.

My maximum commute to work was 1 hour which, from Rugby covered a substantial part of the system and during my travels I visited Long Eaton, Leighton Buzzard, Tipton, Oxford, Nuneaton, Snareston, Beeston amongst many other places in between so I think I fulfilled the navigation bit certainly to BW's satisfaction and your opinion just doesn't count.

No I was not keeping "off the radar" in fact I was very much in contact with BW throughout the time I lived on my boats.

My maximum commute to work was 1 hour which, from Rugby covered a substantial part of the system and during my travels I visited Long Eaton, Leighton Buzzard, Tipton, Oxford, Nuneaton, Snareston, Beeston amongst many other places in between so I think I fulfilled the navigation bit certainly to BW's satisfaction and your opinion just doesn't count.

I haven't expressed an opinion, I merely asked a question ( but as usual on this forum, any potentially controversial post usually results in misrepresentation). As you say, my opinion is of no consequence, and in the eyes of the law, BW/CRT's opinion is of no consequence. To re-iterate, my question was whether you felt you had complied with the law. As opposed to satisfying BW/CRT's perhaps pragmatic interpretation thereof. Was your boat used bona fida for navigation, or was it really used bona fida for something else such as a floating home?

. Was your boat used bona fida for navigation, or was it really used bona fida for something else such as a floating home?

Is there any reason why the two should be mutually exclusive?

I think that the problem lies in the term ccers. Why change it? Is means Constant Cruiser which is wrong and gives people the wrong impression. Even the most conforming constant cruisers do not constantly cruise.

At best, they move on (or are supposed to) more than the rest of the people who utilize the network.

I am, I think most would agree, an outspoken critic of CMers (or NCCCers as the latest parlance seems to be), but I believe that you overstate the case.

It is true that there are people who, due to their personal arrangements in terms of work and schooling, move around not for the sake of moving around, but because they are compelled to do so, and they move around just enough to keep "off the radar" in terms of enforcement action.

Such people are NOT (in my opinion) CCers, because they are not engaged in "bona fide navigation", but the realist in me accepts that they are doing enough to ensure that there will always be people ahead of them for enforcement.

Equally, there are people who have chosen the lifestyle of a continuous cruiser, and actually cruise widely, accepting that this brings additional challenges in terms of getting to and from Work and Schools. They may well constrain where they moor in order to access transport links, but all of us constrain where we moor in terms of what we want from a mooring. Notwithstanding their land based links, they are cruising for the sake of cruising (remember intent is everything post-Davies)

I currently commute around an hour and a quarter each way to and from work (actually, I have had around that length of commute for the last 15 years). When I was at School, it took me an hour each way (horsedrawn omnibus). Some of my colleagues have a longer commute that I do.

If I were to become a CCer, and accept that in order to facilitate my choice of lifestyle, I might sometimes have a slightly longer commute than now, I would have no difficulty whatsoever in being fully compliant and still getting to work.

I haven't expressed an opinion, I merely asked a question

....surely you were using your boat bona fida for a residence, with the navigation bit a side issue that you had to comply with?

Using the word "surely" makes the question rhetorical enough to be an opinion.

It cost far more to continuously cruise the distances I did, especially when I was towing a butty, than when I took up my mooring in Wolfhampcote so I would suggest that navigation was the primary motive for my actions.

Oh and if you actually read the legislation you will see that "the authority's" opinion does have importance, unlike yours.