Grand Union Mooring Advice

Jimmiboy

Featured Posts

Ropes help,mooring pins and mallets are useful too.

How do they help find a mooring? Do you do a thing rather like water divining?

MtB

(Oh I know, make a pendulum and see which way it swings, or something? Points which way to go for a space?)

i think he may want a permanent mooring, could be wrong.:rolleyes:

Have a look on the CRT moorings site. They crop up from time to time.

https://www.crtmoorings.com/auctions/search.php?type=all

MtB

Have a look on the CRT moorings site. They crop up from time to time.

Thanks for the link

https://www.crtmoorings.com/auctions/search.php?type=all

MtB

i think he may want a permanent mooring, could be wrong.:rolleyes:

Yes you're quite right

I would like to find a mooring somewhere between Uxbridge and Rickmansworth, can anyone tell me if this is possible and if so how might I go about it?

My knowledge of that area in detail isn't great, however I'm sure i've had email notifications from CRT recently of a couple of LTM's in that area going up on the CRT auction site. Cowley seems to ring a bell, which I THINK is in that area. Also Browns Meadow rings another bell but as I said, i'm no expert on that area so it could be a bit like me thinking Watford was in London when I first moved down south.

My knowledge of that area in detail isn't great, however I'm sure i've had email notifications from CRT recently of a couple of LTM's in that area going up on the CRT auction site. Cowley seems to ring a bell, which I THINK is in that area. Also Browns Meadow rings another bell but as I said, i'm no expert on that area so it could be a bit like me thinking Watford was in London when I first moved down south.

My dear Junior, the north starts just past the Angel Islington.

:)

Mark

As a temporary resident of Brighton (and born and bred here) I would have to disagree and say that the North starts at Gatwick Airport.

LOL that's trumped me! :)

NB was at Gatwick yesterday not many whippets about.

There is a small marina mooring right next to a sewage works (Maple Cross) that keeps advertising in the trade press. Not sure about resi, you may have to ask face to face. NB is does niff about that area so possibly not worth a resi consideration.

There is a small marina mooring right next to a sewage works (Maple Cross) that keeps advertising in the trade press. Not sure about resi, you may have to ask face to face. NB is does niff about that area so possibly not worth a resi consideration.

Known as "The Stinkhole". It has no road access and is a fair walk up the towpath from Coppermill Lock.

there have been several spaces there now for 3 or 4 years, they keep releasing them one at a time so as to not upset the market and get a fair market value......bo&&OCKS.

Just advertise them all at once and see what they go for, its several roving permits less to worry about. and I hardly see the maintenance costs rise above the moorings costs at any reasonable bid.

I'm still not quite able to get my head around the "leisure mooring" principle. If you have one, how long can you stay on the boat before you have to move around? I realise you can't officially liveaboard 24/7-365 on a leisure mooring but don't people pay for them then spend a few days a month cruising?

I'm still not quite able to get my head around the "leisure mooring" principle. If you have one, how long can you stay on the boat before you have to move around? I realise you can't officially liveaboard 24/7-365 on a leisure mooring but don't people pay for them then spend a few days a month cruising?

Hi,

BW and now CaRT take a a strange view on leisure moorings, boats next to me on long term moorings live on the 24/7 quite happily. A land based address for communications helps. Visits by CaRT Moorings managers seem to confirm that they don't mind their mooring tenants occupying moorings on this basis.

The same cannot be said by BWML moorings, here restrictions imposed by planning consents are strictly observed.

Leo.

CRT don't really seem to care AT THE MOMENT. Obviously you can't get a postal address with a CRT leisure mooring but if you can use a friend/family member's address for your mail/bank/driving license etc, then that wont matter.

I would imagine that CRT don't condone you living 24/7-365 days a year but in all honestly, without camping outside your boat, how do they really know how much time anyone actually spends on a boat.

However.....

Lot's of things that have been universally accepted for years whilst not being strictly 'within the rules' are starting to get clamped down on. I've always been taught that ignorance is no excuse, although it seems that some NCCC'ers (BW's turned a blind eye) in the Cowley/Uxbridge seem to be proving that to not be the case. It's the local councils concern if people are using their mooring for purpose's that they don't have PP for i.e., living on a NON-residential mooring. There's nothing to say that with the influx of people turning to the canals for cheaper living, and a lot of them looking to bend some rules to keep the cost's down, that the next crack down could be on people using leisure moorings for residential purposes.

I have gathered the above information through absorbing information from this forum. Stick around and take everything in, you'll learn loads!

Hi,

The same cannot be said by BWML moorings, here restrictions imposed by planning consents are strictly observed.

Leo.

Haveing been in a BWML for a year all i can say is "It say OXO on the side of buses but thay don't sell it"