Sunken boat bridge 18 Coventry canal?

Suzie_q

Featured Posts

The one your referring to by bridge 18 has been there at least a couple of weeks. I was told by a local, when we passed it, that it was completely blocking the canal and that CRT moved it to allow passage of craft on the offside. That was over two weeks ago so I am surprised to hear it is still there.

Ken

The one your referring to by bridge 18 has been there at least a couple of weeks. I was told by a local, when we passed it, that it was completely blocking the canal and that CRT moved it to allow passage of craft on the offside. That was over two weeks ago so I am surprised to hear it is still there.

Ken

I am not. There is one on the Trent been there for months but not blocking passage. So it is just left to leak fuel and oul!.

Ken

Only just out the way.

It's blocking 3/4 of the canal. Just lucky it's on a bend where there is a bit of width.

Edited for spolling

Edited by Suzie_q

I am not. There is one on the Trent been there for months but not blocking passage. So it is just left to leak fuel and oul!.

That's a different boat/location to the OP.

Only just out the way.

It's blocking 3/4 of the canal. Just lucky it's on a bend where there is a bit of width.

Edited for spolling

That's what it was like when we came across it. Seems it has still not been moved.

Ken

Only just out the way.

Edited for spolling

Not when you meet another boat coming the other way whilst trying to get past it :rolleyes: interesting manouveres that day I can tell you with some interesting language to match.............his not mine I hasten to add.

I passed the one at bridge 18 and emailed CRT. This is their reply dated 8 Jul.

Many thanks for your enquiry. We are aware of this sunken craft. The Canal & River Trust have to follow procedure to give the new owner of the boat every opportunity at their cost to remove the boat. We have been informed that this will have been removed by the weekend but if this is not the case Canal & River Trust will arrange for its removal and attempt to claim the costs from the owner.

I passed the one at bridge 18 and emailed CRT. This is their reply dated 8 Jul.

Many thanks for your enquiry. We are aware of this sunken craft. The Canal & River Trust have to follow procedure to give the new owner of the boat every opportunity at their cost to remove the boat. We have been informed that this will have been removed by the weekend but if this is not the case Canal & River Trust will arrange for its removal and attempt to claim the costs from the owner.

Interesting.

Does this imply that they will try and recover the costs from the new owner?

Interesting.

Does this imply that they will try and recover the costs from the new owner?

I don't know if it is still the case but that is what I was told when I took on ownership of Taplow which was sunk at Erdington.

BW had decided that it needed to be removed and destroyed so were trying to discourage me from taking it on and attempting to refloat it.

They had even commissioned a full survey from Mr Braine whose genius enabled him to carry it out and condemn the boat whilst it was sunk to the gunwales.

I ignored the warnings, refloated it and had it licensed and legal within 6 weeks and, 12 years on, despite Mr Braine's sage advice that "The kindest thing would be to let the old girl go" I believe Taplow is still extant and afloat.

I don't know if it is still the case but that is what I was told when I took on ownership of Taplow which was sunk at Erdington.

BW had decided that it needed to be removed and destroyed so were trying to discourage me from taking it on and attempting to refloat it.

They had even commissioned a full survey from Mr Braine whose genius enabled him to carry it out and condemn the boat whilst it was sunk to the gunwales.

I ignored the warnings, refloated it and had it licensed and legal within 6 weeks and, 12 years on, despite Mr Braine's sage advice that "The kindest thing would be to let the old girl go" I believe Taplow is still extant and afloat.

I used to work at Taplow paper mill. Well saved.

Its an approx 20 ft piece of tupperware sunk in the middle of the Coventry canal on the bend between the north side of the bridge 18 and the winding hole just to the north of that.

You can squeeze past on the inside of the bend, but beware of tattered mooring line lurking near its stern.

Info as of Wednesday morning.

Its an approx 20 ft piece of tupperware sunk in the middle of the Coventry canal on the bend between the north side of the bridge 18 and the winding hole just to the north of that.

You can squeeze past on the inside of the bend, but beware of tattered mooring line lurking near its stern.

Info as of Wednesday morning.

This sounds like a different boat than the one we passed, which was a blue cruiser stern steel boat, but in the position you describe.

This sounds like a different boat than the one we passed, which was a blue cruiser stern steel boat, but in the position you describe.

thats at bridge 36. I emalied in June and got this response of the 19th June:

Thank you for your enquiry

The “sunken boats” are checked daily by my team.

Ropes are adjusted as necessary and oil pads / booms changed as required.

Whilst I can understand your concerns about the boats restricting the navigation, the navigation is still passable with care as mentioned on the restriction notice. Sadly some boaters have been observed going far too fast past the sunken craft and this has on a number of occasions loosened the tie ropes and dragged them further into the channel.

It is my understanding that the plastic craft is due to be moved before the end of the month and I am lead to believe the owner of the narrowboat has just sold his craft and we need to start negotiations with the new owners to arrange its removal.

With regards

Terry

Edited by tillergirl

• 3 weeks later...

my mooring is on the Coventry canal these two boats have been like this for a bit, both of them un tax , if the crt deal with this two boats when un tax then we may not be in this position.

when we all tax are boats there have our insurance details , so should change their policy that they can claim on your behalf for the remove of the boat! and not at the coat of the boat who pays !

We shall be running through there with the pair in app 3 weeks time, so maybe it will get repositioned if it's still there.... Mike

If it were your boat lying on the bottom would you be happy with people making comments like that?

You are aware the boat is sunk you are aware of its location so you can take action to avoid it.

To be fair, he isn't precisely sure. This boat seems to be gradually moving from the bank right into the channel. If he's working a loaded pair, he won't have much choice about where in the channel he will be

Richard