Wolverhampton 21

Mrs Tawny Owl

Featured Posts

I've just received a notice to say that the Wolverhampton 21 is closed until further notice due to the investigation of movement in the wall of Lock 20.

Wording of the notice from the PDF I was sent.

STOPPAGE NOTICE
WEST MIDLANDS WATERWAYS
Notice no:
WM42-2013
Date of issue:
21/06/2013
Waterway:
Birmingham Old Main Line Canal
Start date:
21/06/2013
End date:
Until further notice
Type of restriction:
Navigation
Duration:
Until further notice
Details and reasons for stoppage:
Wolverhampton lock flight has been closed with immediate effect whilst movement in the wall of lock 20 is investigated.
Updates will be posted as and when available.
Canal & River Trust apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Up to date information regarding this stoppage may be obtained from:
0303 040 4040

Sue

ok be back in a minute Still as I was being crewed up by a special guest it will give him some idea of what us boaters have to put up with!!!!

Look on the bright side I suspect it will be getting a lot of attention, has the grass been cut and gates been painted ?? Seriously would be good to know the extent of the problem as we were going to head up that way.

Haha, no....it wasn't me! :-) But they were strimming right there when we went trough it. So at least the grass has been cut recently.

Edit: Vikings don't break that easy. I enjoyed every one of the 21 in the pouring rain. The lightning just added to the adventure.

Edited by Caprifool

Waterway: Birmingham Canal Old Main Line »

From 21/06/2013 until further notice

UPDATE (21 June 2013): Our investigations have revealed the lock wall has moved significantly, probably through water ingress from the recent vandalism, and it would now pose a danger to any boat using it. We have therefore reluctantly closed the lock until repairs can be carried out. At this stage it is envisaged the lock will remain closed until at least the 12th of July. Further updates will be posted once more detail is known regarding timescales.

Lock 20 is the "new" one from the early nineteenth century isn't it? As such it's construction will be different to the other 20 in the flight and it was built in the canal bed.

It's only lasted 200 years, tsk, what happened to quality workmanship wink.png