What's in a name?

Featured Posts

When we were looking for a boat (our first, all our own) we often considered that boat names of those for sale. However, when the time finally came we purchased "Moonshadow" and for the first 18 months lived with it , although there appears to be over 40 boats named as such. Last year we had a full repaint and whilst we had the chance to rename her we had grown to like the name and often meet other Moonshadow's. As she is a modern cruiser stern we opted for a non-traditional colour scheme (light and dark blue with cream coachlines)and kept her name. If you see us around Brinklow area give us a wave !

Edited by Boatingbiker

Ripple was named by Clifton Cruisers, as they used to name all their boats after places in Kent I checked and found sure enough there is a village in Kent called Ripple, it's about 3 miles from Deal.

Funny, I imagined that you'd named it after the Ripple on the Severn!

where does that put the splitters?

A sexual?

Well to take this to it's logical conclusion which I avoided doing earlier for fear of taking some well deserved flack, we also extrapolated that tupperware didn't have a gender as it has no soul tongue.png but that tenders could be either male or female, because otherwise how would boats reproduce?

When we decided to get a boat after looking at second hand ones we decided to get a sailaway. So what shall we call her? I asked SHMBO. LYRA was the very quick reply. The heroine of the Philip Pullman books.

For years there was a boat at Calf Heath called "The Jolly Welder", complete with a picture of a chap with a full face mask, stick welder in hand and a blue-white flash at the end of the rod. I always assumed it must have been a self-built shell.

I have just bought an 'Andante', one of some fifty or so around the system, I remember thinking of a superb unique name one night but I didn't write it down and when I woke up properly the next morning it was gone... oh well, I look forward to meeting some of the other Andantes as I explore the canals.

We wanted a unique name - strange as we already had one, but that had all sorts of connections with the previous owner and we were keen to move away from that - and according to Jim Shead's site we have.

Tea and Medals comes from a Blackadder quote loosely based on military history and common terms ("...back in time for tea and medals" from the Royal Flying Corps/Flasheart episode, though whether it precisely predates Blackadder is open to question; it's common now!). It also strikes a chord with us as we consume gallons of tea (the kettle is usually on if we're on board) and I have acquired a few medals now including one for not getting caughtclapping.gif

I'm trying to work out how to integrate my ribbons into the paint job - in order, of course.

Edited by davey b

Our last boat was named Avalon by the previously owners he liked king Arthur & she liked Bryan ferry , it's old named was "comfortable numb " which he stuttered when pronouncing on the radio biggrin.png

We have just taken over a boat named "Avalon Two" but no doubt there are others around with the same name.

Do you think that there should be a register so that every boat has a unique name? I know its impractical now, but it would throw a whole host of strange names into the pot, just like race horses. Mind you looking around there are lots of those already.

When we decided to get a boat after looking at second hand ones we decided to get a sailaway. So what shall we call her? I asked SHMBO. LYRA was the very quick reply. The heroine of the Philip Pullman books.

Did you come through Gunthorpe lock today or was that another Lyra? Edited by jelunga

When we named ours from new, 21 years ago, it was a unique name. Then 4 years later someone copied it, and after a few years had the nerve to spread the word around the system that we'd copied them. That would have been difficult 4 years before theirs was built. Yet even now, at least once a month someone remarks to us that we'd copied the other's name (and when the owners sold it, the new owner didn't even bother to change the name, even though he's not called Jones; I think he should be compelled to change it).

I want to change mine I think, as there are far too many kingfishers. Though after 35 years without seeing a kingfisher I bought the boat and saw loads, including having one part my hair while I was at the tiller.

Who's got the best ceremony for making sure bad luck doesn't get in?

I thought of calling her Easter Snow which will only make sense to uilleann pipers.

Saw an Olivia presumably as in "I live ere"

Who's got the best ceremony for making sure bad luck doesn't get in?

[\quote]

If you believe in all this guff, and whilst I don't, it does look like good fun, you are suppose to purge the old name as follows...

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to expunge for all time from your records and recollection the name (here insert the old name of your vessel) which has ceased to be an entity in your kingdom. As proof thereof, we submit this ingot bearing her name to be corrupted through your powers and forever be purged from the sea. (At this point, the prepared metal tag is dropped from the bow of the boat into the sea.)

In grateful acknowledgment of your munificence and dispensation, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (Pour at least half of the bottle of Champagne (use beer if you are skint) into the sea from East to West. The remainder may be passed among your guests.

To rename your boat...

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (Here insert the new name you have chosen), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.

In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (At this point, one bottle of Champagne or beer less one glass for the master and one glass for the mate are poured into the sea from West to East.)

You then have to nod to the elements...

Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel (Insert your boats new name) the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.(Facing north, pour a generous libation of Champagne into a Champagne flute and fling to the North as you intone:) Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.(Facing west, pour the same amount of Champagne and fling to the West while intoning:) Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.(Facing east, repeat and fling to the East.) Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.

(Facing south, repeat, flinging to the South.) Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.

Failing that you could just paint your boat and go to the pub.

HTH

:)

We have just taken over a boat named "Avalon Two" but no doubt there are others around with the same name.

Do you think that there should be a register so that every boat has a unique name? I know its impractical now, but it would throw a whole host of strange names into the pot, just like race horses. Mind you looking around there are lots of those already.

Hi, have a look at Jim Shead's boat listing site. Safe link http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/boat-reg.php?bn=96648. You might find your boat listed on there.

Thanks for all the responses to my OP. It's been interesting to see how some of these names came about, and also how many choose to keep a name even if they originally inteded to change it. I've grown used to my boats name now, but my main issue was having the previous owner's names removed from the boat without upsetting the paint matching (because the old paint had faded a little).

Odana was a name that came with the boat. I liked it so it stayed. Was many years later I discovered Odana was a Star Trek princess, which might have changed my opinion if Id known earlier. Odana has now become The Smuggler with her new owners and we have Peckham Poppy. The name put us off and she is just referred to as 'Poppy'. Not our first choice if name for a boat but thats what we know her as so it'll stay. Signwriting means the Peckham part stays for now- And. I'm getting used to it.

The office micro-boat was bought as Alostrael which sounded fine till I looked it up. So it was renamed Pip - not terribly original but it suits.

Hi, have a look at Jim Shead's boat listing site. Safe link http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/boat-reg.php?bn=96648. You might find your boat listed on there.

Yes we are listed, and the only other Avalon Two is a small cruiser on the Broads, so I guess we could say we have a unique name. Cant say the same for just "Avalon" a whole host of those. We used to be called Yorkshire Lass but that was changed before we got it, which is just as well as I'm a Lancashire lad.

Odana I can see why you changed to "Pip" from "Alostrael"

Thanks for all the responses to my OP. It's been interesting to see how some of these names came about, and also how many choose to keep a name even if they originally inteded to change it. I've grown used to my boats name now, but my main issue was having the previous owner's names removed from the boat without upsetting the paint matching (because the old paint had faded a little).

Yes we have that issue and if I am honest I would very carefully think about buying a boat emblazoned with an owners name and location especially if it has been sign written.

xuWsDAl.jpg

We have never got around to removing it principally due to the cost - there has always been something more deserving to spend the money on.

Are they paying you royalties for the advert ?

That's a good point, however people from Yorkshire/Lancashire wanting to board their dogs in a kennel in Somerset are going to be a rarity.

We do get 'Have you really come all the way from Somerset on your boat? - quite often.

Yes we have that issue and if I am honest I would very carefully think about buying a boat emblazoned with an owners name and location especially if it has been sign written.

Which does lead to the question how hard is it to sell a boat with a personal name or location on it, given what was said before about the name influencing the purchase decision.

When some one does prise the tiller from my cold dead hand will the OH be able to sell it?

Obviously didn't make a difference with the dog house.