Northern canals - reputation

Top cat

Featured Posts

I'd never heard of curry sauce on chips before moving south.

Very common around these parts and has been for as long as I can recall.

Maybe Donny was quite as advanced in the culinary stakes as the Boro...

I'm not sure that the Northern boaters really want to turn their lovely peaceful waterways into Braunston on a busy day.

It's been a while but, in the past, I have attended several local waterway rallies in Yorkshire and, along with everyone else, enjoyed myself immensely.

"Reputation" doesn't really make any sense and the only ones really concerned about it are, I suspect, those who earn money from it.

You will find that us Northerners don't really care much what others think about us or ours and it would be a mistake to think that a bit of banter means that anything has changed in that respect or is likely to.

Hear hear could not have said it better

Peter

Besides Skipton canal festival there is now a festival in burnley (september) and very nice it was too last year. There is one in blackburn in July (a first I think ) and of course the preston fe stival in the old docks for those who want to brave the ribble link.

so with more canals then venice if birmingham can only manage two events a year seems to me there's already more going on up north.... clapping.gif

(ok tongue firmly in cheek)

We recently cruised to Chester and were very pleasantly surprised. Chester is almost like being down South, obviously without the nice cars etc and people are all dressed from TK Max but in many ways could almost pass for Cheltenham. There is even a Waitrose in addition to Morrisons which was a relief! We did go on from Chester, and Liverpool certainly lived up to the reputation of the North. Best to turn around before Ellesmere and go the other way - Nantwich for instance is OK, although curry sauce on chips is grim anywhere.

Funny you should say that. Im a southerner and find the north a bit grim. However, I was In chester/cheshire over the weekend and thought it was lovely. It never crossed my mind thats because it's just like being down south, but now you mention it.......

Anywhere you can get curry sauce on chips and people have weird names for bread rolls sould be treated with extreme caution.

Besides Skipton canal festival there is now a festival in burnley (september) and very nice it was too last year. There is one in blackburn in July (a first I think ) and of course the preston fe stival in the old docks for those who want to brave the ribble link.

so with more canals then venice if birmingham can only manage two events a year seems to me there's already more going on up north.... clapping.gif

(ok tongue firmly in cheek)

And don't forget the Rochdale Canal Festival 27 July - 4 August http://www.myrochdalecanal.org.uk/

I'm not sure about the Scottish but....once a Yorkshireman, always a Yorkshireman.

Happen.

Funny you should say that. Im a southerner and find the north a bit grim.

Hang on a minute Junior,

You told me that you were from North Korea, so that makes you a northerner!

Don't be shy now, own up to the truth.

Funny you should say that. Im a southerner and find the north a bit grim. However, I was In chester/cheshire over the weekend and thought it was lovely. It never crossed my mind thats because it's just like being down south, but now you mention it.......

Anywhere you can get curry sauce on chips and people have weird names for bread rolls sould be treated with extreme caution.

Completely with you on the baked goods with odd names front. Mind you Bath was named after a bun so maybe that's not just a Northern thing. Haven't found the town of Lardy yet though.

Completely with you on the baked goods with odd names front. Mind you Bath was named after a bun so maybe that's not just a Northern thing. Haven't found the town of Lardy yet though.

Likewise I had no idea what a "Batch" was until moving south and, if it is a northern thing, chips and curry sauce pales into insignificance when you consider Faggot and Mushy Pea Batches sick.gif

Recently I was in Skipton and the locals are so poor they had made rafts to paddle up and down between the old cars and shopping trollies.

Rafts!? RAFTS?!

You were lucky!

When I were a lad we used to have to tie together the bloated bodies of drowned dogs to have something to paddle around on.

Tha don't know tha's born!

• Greenie 1

Likewise I had no idea what a "Batch" was until moving south and, if it is a northern thing, chips and curry sauce pales into insignificance when you consider Faggot and Mushy Pea Batches sick.gif

Mushy Pea Batch - what on earth is that? Is it like an Eccles pie? Or a Skipton Wedge?

Mushy Pea Batch - what on earth is that? Is it like an Eccles pie? Or a Skipton Wedge?

Faggots, mushy peas, loads of vinegar all crammed in a very soggy, soft white bread roll.

And they say us Northerners eat weird crap.

Recently I was in Skipton and the locals are so poor they had made rafts to paddle up and down between the old cars and shopping trollies.

We use them cars as bridges ter get from one side of cut ter tother.Yep we are real poor, them rafts yer talk about are fert poor ter live on.

When I asked for faggots and peas in a fish shop at LOUTH in the seventies, they didn't know what I was talking about. Apparently faggots are logs and what I should have asked for was

a savoury duck. LOUTH is up north isn't it ?

When I asked for faggots and peas in a fish shop at LOUTH in the seventies, they didn't know what I was talking about. Apparently faggots are logs and what I should have asked for was

a savoury duck. LOUTH is up north isn't it ?

No,Louth is in the East Midlands which, as any Northerner will tell you, is down South, however it is true that a faggot is known as a "duck" in those parts (and Yorkshire) and they are lovely served with mash, peas and gravy but not ever with mushy peas in a bread roll.

Did anyone have the benefit of watching the parody series on BBC entitled Twenty Twelve, about the Olympic Legacy Committee, naturally based in London? The only one amongst the commitee that didn't spout bullsh*t was a Yorkshireman.

In true Yorkshire spirit, he tried to put things into perspective and told it how it was. Candour it appears, is quite a rarity down there!

Edited by Doorman