Northern canals - reputation

Top cat

Featured Posts

There has been some discussion of late on the reputation of the northern canals and why they are underused.

The Birmingham canal navigations suffered a poor reputation which is being adressed by the BCNS running regular explorer cruises where knowledgable locals take a flotilla of newcomers and show them where to moor and give tips on dealing with local conditions.

it's been so sucsessful that now they need to run two a year

We went on one two years ago and not only was the cruise great fun but we now cruise the BCN regularly on our own.

The BCNS also put on an annual rally at Pelsal which also attracts vistiors to the rarely boated northern reaches of the BCN.

So those of you concerned with the reputation of the northern canals why not do something similar ?

Top Cat ( at Pelsall rally)

I'm not sure that the Northern boaters really want to turn their lovely peaceful waterways into Braunston on a busy day.

It's been a while but, in the past, I have attended several local waterway rallies in Yorkshire and, along with everyone else, enjoyed myself immensely.

"Reputation" doesn't really make any sense and the only ones really concerned about it are, I suspect, those who earn money from it.

You will find that us Northerners don't really care much what others think about us or ours and it would be a mistake to think that a bit of banter means that anything has changed in that respect or is likely to.

To be honest Top Cat we do not care a jot what soft southerners think. I have cruised the entire system extensively for many years and each area has its own good and bad to offer. Put simply oop norrf we dont want you. Why would we want to queue at each lock and pay stupid pub prices when we moor up? The scenery oop ere is better in many cases than elsewhere. I was on a friends boat at Whaley bridge yesterday and its nice and quiet even here though not as quiet as further up and to the east..

Stay round brum if you like it and leave the fabulous trip through York and up to Ripon for instance for me and others to enjoy. biggrin.png

Tim

I thought you was East-Midlands based these days? Surely that makes you as Northern as Sean Connery is Scottish? wink.png

Exiled unwillingly to the West Midlands (unlike Mr Connery who I believe is happiest away from his homeland).

I'm not sure about the Scottish but....once a Yorkshireman, always a Yorkshireman and the sooner I get back up there,the better (house hunting at this very moment).

The Chesterfield Canal is "Northern" and it has a fantastic reputation for being a haven of peace and tranquility. While the towns and businesses along the canal may well be happy to see a few more boats visiting I don't think anyone wants to change the reputation of the canal at all!

Anyone who follows the blog of NB Huffler will know they spendt around a month on the canal this spring and managed to count a total of 22 moving boats ... in a month! .........so there is room for plenty more without any danger of it getting overcrowded.

The only thing that will change the canals reputation for being little used will be if people overcome their fear of lumpy water and venture further along The Trent or, in time when they open The Rother Link and those lovely Northern folk can chug their way a bit further south from Sheffield

To be fair to the OP there does appear to be a small minority of people who do believe that there are parts of the Northern system that have a bad reputation, and as I have said in the other threads this is partly because some people unjustifiably run it down with tales of woe....NOT because the reputation is justified. I wonder just how much of the Northern system the 'knockers' have actually done. Personally we have barely scraped the surface.

I remember the slight trepidation we felt the first time we came down from Rodley to Leeds, based on what we had been told we expected to need body armour, water cannon and tear gas to fend off the the local marauding yoofs.

Of the two groups we met one turned out to be totally disinterested in us except for one young lad who broke off from fishing with his mates to lend a hand locking us through with one of our spare windlasses. The others were a dance group from the local dance school shooting a video and they just broke off while we went through the lock they were filming around.

I personally would like to see more boats up here BUT steadfastly would not like it to turn into a waterborne version of Piccadilly Circus. But as the posts I made last week demonstate there is evidence there is more activity up here than sometimes is given credit for.

And for the record we do have events up here (Skipton last month springs to mind) so I don't think we need to do much more other than stay factual and unprejudiced against the Northern system.

Edited by The Dog House

To be fair to the OP there does appear to be a small minority of people who do believe that there are parts of the Northern system that have a bad reputation, and as I have said in the other threads this is partly because some people unjustifiably run it down with tales of woe....NOT because the reputation is justified. I wonder just how much of the Northern system the 'knockers' have actually done. Personally we have barely scraped the surface.

I remember the slight trepidation we felt the first time we came down from Rodley to Leeds, based on what we had been told we expected to need body armour, water cannon and tear gas to fend off the the local marauding yoofs.

Of the two groups we met one turned out to be totally disinterested in us except for one young lad who broke off from fishing with his mates to lend a hand locking us through with one of our spare windlasses. The others were a dance group from the local dance school shooting a video and they just broke off while we went through the lock they were filming around.

I personally would like to see more boats up here BUT steadfastly would not like it to turn into a waterborne version of Piccadilly Circus. But as the posts I made last week demonstate there is evidence there is more activity up here than sometimes is given credit for.

And for the record we do have events up here (Skipton last month springs to mind) so I don't think we need to do much more other than stay factual and unprejudiced against the Northern system.

Im with you there Martyn.

Despite our best efforts and five years of trying we have still got loads of the Northern waterways to explore. Again we have only scratched the surface of what these waterways have to offer and we will certainly continue to enjoy the wide and varied offerings of the North.

I didn't realise that Black Sheep Brewery supplied flags?

Inflatable pint pot as well

DSCF0244.jpg

And you cant have a party with out a palm tree

03092011625.jpg

The problem is the north/south divide. The south has grabbed most of the economic benefits, leaving those in the north less well off, and thus much less likely to own a boat. There is also the common sense problem, where most common sense has remained in the north. What northerner likes to pay for things like a boat safety certificate, where local common sense is a much better and cheaper solution. If you don't know what's wrong with your boat, you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

It's quite obvious that most northerners are much brighter than we think. They slag off their own place knowing they get the place to themselves. I have covered a lot of the L&L a few years back without any bother and Skipton is a wonderful place.

The problem is the north/south divide. The south has grabbed most of the economic benefits, leaving those in the north less well off, and thus much less likely to own a boat...

Ah, the problem with generalisations is there's always an exception. Some evil northerner helped themselves to my economic benefits which resulted in the silver lining of me owning a boat. I now work in the South (well, what I used to consider the South) in order to continue funding said evil one's lifestyle in the North.

However, worry not, for said evil will not pollute the reputation of the local canals. The waterway in question, being forewarned of its future ignominy, topped itself in 1936.

We recently cruised to Chester and were very pleasantly surprised. Chester is almost like being down South, obviously without the nice cars etc and people are all dressed from TK Max but in many ways could almost pass for Cheltenham. There is even a Waitrose in addition to Morrisons which was a relief! We did go on from Chester, and Liverpool certainly lived up to the reputation of the North. Best to turn around before Ellesmere and go the other way - Nantwich for instance is OK, although curry sauce on chips is grim anywhere.

• Greenie 2

We recently cruised to Chester and were very pleasantly surprised. Chester is almost like being down South, obviously without the nice cars etc and people are all dressed from TK Max but in many ways could almost pass for Cheltenham. There is even a Waitrose in addition to Morrisons which was a relief! We did go on from Chester, and Liverpool certainly lived up to the reputation of the North. Best to turn around before Ellesmere and go the other way - Nantwich for instance is OK, although curry sauce on chips is grim anywhere.

Spoken like a true southern wuss !! Everyone knows gravy is better on chips !

Tim

....although curry sauce on chips is grim anywhere.

I'd never heard of curry sauce on chips before moving south.

I certainly don't approve of these southern food fads making their way North.

They'll be serving cod in Northern chip shops next! sick.gif

Morrisons only use beef in the their burgers, no horsemeat like you southerners want. Also Morrisons chapattis are Gujarati whole meal - would give you southerners indigestion. Oh and of course the bill at Morrisons would be less so must be crap.

You are right England north of Ellesmere is dreadful - best stay away. The Caledonian canal is worse.

Paul

I'd never heard of curry sauce on chips before moving south.

I certainly don't approve of these southern food fads making their way North.

They'll be serving cod in Northern chip shops next! sick.gif

Dont get me started on that.....