Darwin foiled again

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

This clown on an organised trip from our marina has managed to ram a Humber lightship at 25 knots.

Not sure how as the lightships are bigger than the bloody boat!

Both crew now in hospital with serious injuries and the boat has been towed to Hessle to be recovered.

null-9.jpg

Are we talking a lighted buoy here or a full blown lightship?.....either way how didnt they see it? What was the visibility like?...I do wonder about the autohelm being set too...have heard of it happening before on a super yacht delivery run by a charter crew.....bet the new owner wasn't too impressed.

Hope the guys in this incident are all ok.....boats can be fixed!

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

Light 27 which is a light ship.

Details of how the incident happened are as yet unclear but I can say for sure that the vessel doesn't have autopilot.

I will post more details as they emerge. The rest of the flotilla are due in on tonight's tide.

null-13.jpg

In this instance there was only ever going to be one winner!

The maxum didn't stand a chance!

null-13.jpg

I do actually feel for them as they have recently spent in the region of £10k on the boat.

Should have gone to Specsavers !

Just heard from the flotilla and its good news. The crew have suffered multiple injuries including broken arm and leg by the driver. But nothing life threatening. They will be in hospital for a while mind.

Still no news on how the accident happened though.

Indeed!

I'm sure the full story will become apparent in due course but for now it does remain a mystery how they have managed to hit the buoy.

A number of boats have been caught out on the Humber, mostly without such catastrophic consequences . Both the more conventional buoys and also the light floats sheer in the tideway so it is not a good idea to approach too close when the tide is running, otherwise you might find them chasing you! It is possible that in this instance they were doing a close pass and just got too close.

Howard

It would seem that this one is down to inexperience.

They realised at the very last minute that they were going to pass the wrong side of the lightship. Tried at the very last minute to turn to the right side and hit the ship.

Sad thing is at the state of tide they were at they could have safely passed the wrong side of the marker.

Seems an odd thing to happen,and I wish them a speedy recovery. Boats are disposable. I agree with comments about the rescue services; those people are amazing. An ex colleague of mine owes his life to a helicopter rescue following a heart attack at sea.

I agree as they were in convoy and were about the fourth boat from the front so in theory had plenty of time to see which side to pass.

I suppose accidents happen all the time and this is sadly just another.