Is this stupid behaviour?

blackrose

Featured Posts

I was just browsing the net and came across this picture.

Having been here recently (travelling in the other direction), it seems like a very casual if not stupid way to behave. Why would anyone do this on the Bristol Channel? It doesn't even look like he's wearing a lifejacket!

Sest252_zps53891841.jpg

Taken from the Tuesday Night Club website. They really should know better.

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/tour_00/BCNplus20b.html

Having been here recently (travelling in the other direction), it seems like a very casual if not stupid way to behave. Why would anyone do this on the Bristol Channel? It doesn't even look like he's wearing a lifejacket!

Sest252_zps53891841.jpg

Taken from the Tuesday Night Club website. They really should know better.

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/tour_00/BCNplus20b.html

Well it's amazingly stupid if he's single-handing....

MtB

• Greenie 3

I don't see a problem. Narrowboats are pretty stable. It looks as though he is trying to see the entrance to the harbour

When was the last time you took your narrowboat out to sea? Even in a light swell they tend to roll.

They aren't coming into a harbour, they're entering Avonmouth which isn't difficult to spot on a good day with clear visibility.

Edited by blackrose

It's not something I'd want to do, but I couldn't care less if others want to do it. What that guy does on his own boat is his own business.

Also, be careful. Some people might now think you have a VENDETTA against this guy ;-)

It's not something I'd want to do, but I couldn't care less if others want to do it. What that guy does on his own boat is his own business.

Also, be careful. Some people might now think you have a VENDETTA against this guy ;-)

Until he falls off and needs to be rescued of course. Then it suddenly becomes other people's business.

Why would anyone think that? huh.png

Edited by blackrose

Unbelievable that anybody would be without a lifejacket in the Bristol channel.Even if the helmsman is competant,recovering a M.O.B.is not easy.Even suposing that the helmsman has sufficient skill to get the M.O.B.alongside,getting him out of the water would be no mean feat,by which time the vessel could be heading into danger.Some people have no sence of self preservation.

Don't get me wrong. I'd taped up the bottom of my bow doors for the crossing and placed a ladder at the bow so that if I needed to deploy an anchor I could go across the roof and down the ladder. I saw that as preferable to walking down the gunwales at sea. But I wouldn't have gone onto the roof for no apparent reason and certainly not without a lifejacket.

Safe in Portishead lock

P1000909_zps3a6f4da0.jpg

Unbelievable that anybody would be without a lifejacket in the Bristol channel.Even if the helmsman is competant,recovering a M.O.B.is not easy.Even suposing that the helmsman has sufficient skill to get the M.O.B.alongside,getting him out of the water would be no mean feat,by which time the vessel could be heading into danger.Some people have no sence of self preservation.

Yes, especially in the strong currents. You're supposed to be in neutral for M.O.B. incidents and in the time it took to get someone out the water your boat could easily be on a mudbank.

Edited by blackrose

MtB, you now owe me a new monitor and a new pair of pants (I can hardly type for laughing)

Please tell me you mean trousers. I'm left with an image of you sitting typing in your underwear, or worse.ohmy.png

When was the last time you took your narrowboat out to sea? Even in a light swell they tend to roll.

They aren't coming into a harbour, they're entering Avonmouth which isn't difficult to spot on a good day with clear visibility.

Year before last

snip

No its not stupid. It is perfectly natural you can fid out all about it in The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin. Only the fittest survive. Dont worry about him.

• Greenie 1

I must say that I agree with Blackrose. That is just stupid behaviour. Accidents can and do happen even on the shortest of trips in the best of weather.

Also as skipper of that boat you are responsible for the safety of your crew. You can and should insist that they wear their life jackets. We don't let any visitors on our boat out on the tidal Trent without a life jacket never mind a large estuary like that.

I don't see a problem. Narrowboats are pretty stable. It looks as though he is trying to see the entrance to the harbour

From that comment one can only assume that you have not done any large river or estuary cruising. Anything of a swell will make a narrowboat roll like a big. They are not designed for waters like this, they are designed for a very specific type of waterway which isn't an estuary.