Volunteer Lock-keepers

WJM

Featured Posts

Something that has surprised me about this thread is; there would seem to be no volunteer lock-keepers on this forum! I would have guessed that if your interest in the canals extended to spending entire days working on them unpaid than you might also be connected into the grapevine - this forum surely being one of the best sources available!

There is nought so strange as folk!

As a volunteer lock keeper i certainly would not be offended should any boater refuse an offer of assistance through the locks. There are a lot of crews/single boaters that are more than gratefull for the help.

Give the lock keepers polite and clear instructions. No problem.

Something that has surprised me about this thread is; there would seem to be no volunteer lock-keepers on this forum! I would have guessed that if your interest in the canals extended to spending entire days working on them unpaid than you might also be connected into the grapevine - this forum surely being one of the best sources available!

I was until Tuesday when I became a paid seasonal!

I was until Tuesday when I became a paid seasonal! Edited by jelunga

There is also nought so strange as folk who make assumptions without knowing the facts. How do you know there are no volunteer lock keepers who are members of this forum? Have you done a survey? I know there are volunteer lock keeper members from their names but they haven't stated the fact in the forum that they are volunteer lock keepers.

Ohhhhh yes, swing bridge operatives. That would be good.

I did suggest this when I went to the meeting at Hatton yesterday.

Caroline Killeavy (Head of Community Engagement) made a note of it.

She also suggested getting in touch locally with C&RT regards recommending any lock ( or swing bridge ) that would benefit from having a lock keeper.

Glenn

I was until Tuesday when I became a paid seasonal!I was until Tuesday when I became a paid seasonal!

Ditto.

I was a volunteer on the Thames but finished on Sunday. Now employed as Summer assistant from tomorrow. :)

I haven't had much to say on this subject as I only had experience at one lock which is run by lock keeper during working hours.

Even here there are different levels of experience by boaters and volunteers and allowances should be made.

I would have welcomed help on K & A on bank holiday weekend. Indeed there was an nattily dressed man assisting at one lock but he didn't seem official ( unless CaRT has a new waistcoat range for uniform) He had his own windlass and he wasn't afraid to use it.

Paul

Ditto.

I was a volunteer on the Thames but finished on Sunday. Now employed as Summer assistant from tomorrow. :)

I haven't had much to say on this subject as I only had experience at one lock which is run by lock keeper during working hours.

Even here there are different levels of experience by boaters and volunteers and allowances should be made.

I would have welcomed help on K & A on bank holiday weekend. Indeed there was an nattily dressed man assisting at one lock but he didn't seem official ( unless CaRT has a new waistcoat range for uniform) He had his own windlass and he wasn't afraid to use it.

Paul

That's Chris!

Get chatting with him and he'll tell you a lot about the history of the canal.

I met him on my way west last October and again in April heading east.

Was it the turf lock? (By monkey marsh?)

Glenn

Ditto.

I was a volunteer on the Thames but finished on Sunday. Now employed as Summer assistant from tomorrow. smile.png

Paul

Yes, this is Chris, most likely at Monkey Marsh but could be anywhere between there and Newbury.

He has been helping boaters (especially hire boaters) along the Kennet for as long as we have been on the K&A.

What a shame that CaRT did not use him as a model for their newly fashionable volunteers, a proper waistcoat, and real expertise at helping boaters through locks, scores over a hi vis waistcoat every time!

.............Dave

There were volunteers at Hatton when we went through and I was really pleased! Very helpful and we made far better time than we would have done otherwise. My only problem ws wondering whether or not to tip - but I hadn't any money on me (why would I have??!!) so the problem didn't really arise.

PLease, don't complain about them or they might just give up. And as an ageing asthmatic, the longer there are volunteer lockies (and the more of them there are), the longer it will be before I am obliged to give up boating!!

Edited by stickleback

There is also nought so strange as folk who make assumptions without knowing the facts. How do you know there are no volunteer lock keepers who are members of this forum? Have you done a survey? I know there are volunteer lock keeper members from their names but they haven't stated the fact in the forum that they are volunteer lock keepers.

That is a very terse response - you seem to have missed this "there WOULD SEEM TO BE no volunteer lock-keepers on this forum!" Please put brain in gear before putting mouth in motion!

There were volunteers at Hatton when we went through and I was really pleased! Very helpful and we made far better time than we would have done otherwise. My only problem ws wondering whether or not to tip - but I hadn't any money on me (why would I have??!!) so the problem didn't really arise.

PLease, don't complain about them or they might just give up. And as an ageing asthmatic, the longer there are volunteer lockies (and the more of them there are), the longer it will be before I am obliged to give up boating!!

Last time I came across one I gave him an unopened bottle of beer.

That I believe, is the common gratuity and is usually quite welcome.

Where will we find you this year then?

Gunthorpe at moment but a possibility of moving to Newark Nether. Edited by jelunga

We always leave our local lockies a can/bottle of beer.

At christmas they get a box of the stuff as a thank you.

That I believe, is the common gratuity and is usually quite welcome.

Gunthorpe at moment but a possibility of moving to Newark Nether.

Should see you soon then.

Moving already Keith? (And to Nether of all places!)

10 mins walk from home instead of 13 mile drive. Extra 1hr in bed.

We always leave our local lockies a can/bottle of beer.

At christmas they get a box of the stuff as a thank you.

Should see you soon then.

I shall keep my eyes open

So to return to the original post (since we apparently do have some volunteers on here), what is the official policy line. Are you 'commander in chief' of your lock, or are you simply available to help if required?

10 mins walk from home instead of 13 mile drive. Extra 1hr in bed.

Didn't think of it like that (says a lot about me doesn't it laugh.png). Anyway, good luck if you do go for Nether.

To answer you WJM. I can only speak for the Trent, but yes the volunteers on the Trent are in charge of a site whilst they're there. I believe that vols elsewhere are to help if required but you can always refuse unless, as Jelunga says, they have to conserve water.

That said you are always welcome to do the Trent yourself out of hours boat.gif (still enjoying the novelty of smileys).

P.S. you creepy crawly bugs broke, doesn't it work any more?

Edited by Lockie Junior

So to return to the original post (since we apparently do have some volunteers on here), what is the official policy line. Are you 'commander in chief' of your lock, or are you simply available to help if required?

Why does it have to be either or, cannot it be both -

Take a bit more charge/control in the case of somebody less experienced and back off if a boater asks to do stuff on their own, and if the boater who thinks he/she's experienced actually isn't anything of the sort help extricate them from their self inflicted balls up.

- there is of course the other option which is one where an experienced boater may just appreciate some help too.

Edited by The Dog House