Butty and Foxton locks

paddy r

Featured Posts

Not sure if this is in the right category but, towards the end of next month, we will be going up Foxton locks with our butty. I know traditionally, they would have gone up with a long line on the back pulling the butty behind the motor, but we only have a crew of 2 (I understand they normally had a crew of 3 with a butty, even if 1 was a child), so this makes things rather more complicated. Because I don't fancy running back and forth giving myself a heartattack trying to lock 2 boats up at the same time, and assuming that the locky has not always got time to help, is it possible to drag it up just by bowhauling? This would have to take into account bridges over the lock mouths and they do not have slots in the middle like on the Stratford canal. Ideas on a postcard please.

Thanks

Paddy and Ruth

Peter Hawker used to bow-hall his butty up and down the Watford and Foxton flights on his tod.

By May there should be approximately 2 or 3 lockies a day on the Foxton flight to help, .... I am sure you can convince them to help, speshly if Ruthy has been in Bridge 61 the night before and needs her sunglasses!!cheers.gif

No, there are no slots in the bridges.

I have boated motor / butty pairs two handed loads of times (as well as single handed) and back in the days of carrying this was a very common practice, but I am not aware of motors 'long lining' their butty up Foxton Locks. The beauty of Foxton Locks is that they comprise two individual staircases so there is no need to steer the butty. There is little value to using a bowhauling line (90') as it would be coiled most of the time. I would use a short line attached to the mast.

What is important with light handed boating is to let the boat and the water do the work for you as much as possible. You will soon formulate a system that works well enough for you, even if it is not the fastest or most efficient method. Take your time and there is no need to run about. At worst you could work one boat through then go back for the other boat.

Edited by pete harrison

Peter Hawker used to bow-hall his butty up and down the Watford and Foxton flights on his tod.

Me too...well Watford at least. There was always expert assistance at Foxton which made it a doddle, though I'm not sure if MIck and Crystal are still there.

I would imagine there are serious logistical problems with long-lining a staircase but my head hurts when I try to think about it so I'm not sure.

Could you flush the butty out of each chamber (assuming you're going downhill) or would that be too frowned upon?

I wouldn't muck about with staircase locks like that.

Buttys are easy enough to shove around, once they're moving.

In staircase flights it is less "hauling" and more "walking alongside"

Thank you very much for the replies. Matti, I will try to keep Ruth out of the pub! Certainly keep her off the cider. We have been up there a few times without the butty, but this is our first time with. We managed Tardebigge ok, but there are short pounds between each lock which makes life easier. The Bratch was easy because we had help from the locky and Keith off Oakfield gave us a hand. I think I will walk the butty through, as like Carl says, it's easy to pull the butty around, it's stopping it that's the hard bit.

You will have to develop the technique of swinging the towing line under the footbridges and catching it as it comes up the other side. It comes with practice (I am reliably told), though a Monkey's fist on the end will help.

You will have to develop the technique of swinging the towing line under the footbridges and catching it as it comes up the other side. It comes with practice (I am reliably told), though a Monkey's fist on the end will help.

thats exactly how we used to get virginis up and down when i was there

Could you flush the butty out of each chamber (assuming you're going downhill) or would that be too frowned upon?

not in these locks, there are no gate paddles except the bottom lock all the others are side paddles so would only push the boat sideways

You obviously leave 'Safe Search' on.

What?

• 4 weeks later...

Came up the flight today. The volunteer lock keepers were extremely helpful. We got both boats up at the same time approx. 55 minutes start to finish!

Thanks again

Came up the flight today. The volunteer lock keepers were extremely helpful. We got both boats up at the same time approx. 55 minutes start to finish!

Thanks again

Well done you both. Watford locks will be a doddle. tongue.png