rude boat names

magnetman

Featured Posts

Freind of mine had a boat called Argy Bargy.. They got so fed up with people commenting on the name as they walked past, they were quite fed up. It was sold eventually, and now is at Floods Ferry, still with the name.

Maybe they're Terry Pratchett fans

Richard

I have seen one thus named, but haven't yet seen a 'Llareggub'. Evidently, Pratchett fans outnumber Dylan Thomas fans.

EDIT: reading the whole thread, I see that there is at least one DT fan who made a similar comment!

Edited by Athy

I have seen one thus named, but haven't yet seen a 'Llareggub'. Evidently, Pratchett fans outnumber Dylan Thomas fans.

EDIT: reading the whole thread, I see that there is at least one DT fan who made a similar comment!

I heard that Dylan Thomas called the little Welsh town in 'Under Milk Wood' Llareggub so that if the play was a flop he could point to the name and say it was all just a joke anyway. When the play was a big success he changed the name to Llareggyb, and this is what you will see in all later printed editions of the play.

Llamedos was Terry Pratchett's jokey 'take' on Llareggub, and is the name of the little town in his book 'Soul Music'.

Some of these names are obviously not very well thought out though as you wouldnt use them on the VHF.

I recall the lockie at Bristol Docks bemoaning the fact that the regulations insist that he MUST give the name of the boat when calling them on VHF, but prohibit the use of offensive language. He said he'd been reprimanded both for saying the name of a boat when speaking to it over the radio on its arrival, and for not saying the name of the same boat when speaking to it on its departure a few days later.

I recall the lockie at Bristol Docks bemoaning the fact that the regulations insist that he MUST give the name of the boat when calling them on VHF, but prohibit the use of offensive language. He said he'd been reprimanded both for saying the name of a boat when speaking to it over the radio on its arrival, and for not saying the name of the same boat when speaking to it on its departure a few days later.

He's lucky he never met Mike Hunt then.....

Hugh and his girlfriend Tess even started an online petition about it. Can't remember the url or even if it's still active, but if you 'google' Mr Jarse and Miss Tickles names it should work.. Reading this post has just made me laugh so much that the tears are running down my legs! One of our neighbours when we were on a marina had named his boat 'The Dog's Bollocks' but in Latin. Therefore, it was only the intellectual boaters that would possibly take offence. Thankfully, I had to Google the term before being amused and certainly not offended.

Edited by Doorman

One of our neighbours when we were on a marina had named his boat 'The Dog's Bollocks' but in Latin. Therefore, it was only the intellectual boaters that would possibly take offence. Thankfully, I had to Google the term before being amused and certainly not offended.

Like this pub in Toronto. I don't think it means the same to Canadians.

IMG00043-20100928-1404.jpg

My mate way back (when I had a mate!) called his yacht "Cunning Stunt" but only for a while until his wife twigged.

. One of the directors of the Bargain Booze franchise chain was entrusted with compiling the phrases on the window posters in each shop that advertised their promotions. In response to the supermarket giants complaining about 'unfair competition' from the chain, he responded by devising one particular poster criticising the tactics of the Cunning Stunts used by the supermarkets. When questioned by one of the more emotionally fragile franchisees, about whether this poster was in bad taste, the director asked if he should have printed his alternative idea which was; 'Our deals are hotter than Satan's bollocks". He had a wicked turn of phrase!

He's lucky he never met Mike Hunt then...

smiley_offtopic.gif Your not going to believe it, but I had a teacher at school called Mike Hunt, we never noticed!!!! There was also a classmate called Richard Cummins

and at a previous school a boy called Richard Head. It was Cornwall! And a shoe shop called R Soles, cleaver I thought

smiley_offtopic.gif Your not going to believe it, but I had a teacher at school called Mike Hunt, we never noticed!!!! There was also a classmate called Richard Cummins

and at a previous school a boy called Richard Head. It was Cornwall! And a shoe shop called R Soles, cleaver I thought

A teacher friend once taught a girl called Henrietta Badcock.

​ Sorry off topic again. A good friend of mine had recently qualified as a teacher. He is a well spoken well educated chap, who decided that rather than greet the children with the register by just shouting their names, he would make things a bit more friendly prefixing them with 'Morning' This worked well for a while, Morning James, Morning Richard, and so on. Until one day he was introduced to a new student called 'Glory' He changed his strategy after that

Back on topic, I don't get offended by boats with rude names, but I could never own one,

sWEeT DREAMS is one I've seen

• Haha 1