SHINY Boat

notebook

Featured Posts

Am I a bully, or a follower of the bullies then? Unsure.

I did say "most people" and you are a one-off and therefore not under the umbrella of "most people". Anyway, I think you have already nailed your colours to the mast as not being a shiny boat hater?

Edited by nicknorman

Nope, I'm not a hater of anyone. In fact this very day, a self-confessed shiny boater, Mr. Ray T, attended my boat complete with delicious Marmite snacks and a cheese-snaffling dog and didn't get chased off with a keb. :D

I probably am a bit of a lefty scruffy loudmouth though, although I do tend to pick my battles rather than just take a contraversial viewpoint for the sake of it as some folk will. That being said, I have met many of the forum's oft-regarded gobshites from both ends of the political/social spectrum, and got on with all of them equally well, whether I subscribe to their core ideas and ideals or not :)

Nevertheless, I am equally happy to read the Telegraph (I grew up with it, afterall...) although the Daily Fail is one level I won't stoop to. :cheers:

I believe that there is nothing wrong with people enjoying paying a lot of attention to their boats and presenting it nicely at all times, and also that there is nothing wrong with people who don't polish their brass or who, like me, have shonky paintwork and a scruffy boat. These things do not constitute the person, or the personality, or the opinion, any more than any other superficial characteristic does. As you say quite correctly, I do not hate or judge anyone by virtue of their style of boat or appearance or anything else.

Edited by Starcoaster

Nope, I'm not a hater of anyone. In fact this very day, a self-confessed shiny boater, Mr. Ray T, attended my boat complete with delicious Marmite snacks and a cheese-snaffling dog and didn't get chased off with a keb. :D

I probably am a bit of a lefty scruffy loudmouth though, although I do tend to pick my battles rather than just take a contraversial viewpoint for the sake of it as some folk will. That being said, I have met many of the forum's oft-regarded gobshites from both ends of the political/social spectrum, and got on with all of them equally well, whether I subscribe to their core ideas and ideals or not :)

Nevertheless, I am equally happy to read the Telegraph (I grew up with it, afterall...) although the Daily Fail is one level I won't stoop to. :cheers:

I believe that there is nothing wrong with people enjoying paying a lot of attention to their boats and presenting it nicely at all times, and also that there is nothing wrong with people who don't polish their brass or who, like me, have shonky paintwork and a scruffy boat. These things do not constitute the person, or the personality, or the opinion, any more than any other superficial characteristic does. As you say quite correctly, I do not hate or judge anyone by virtue of their style of boat or appearance or anything else.

I agree with the above paragraph and we don't need to look the same, we're all part of lifes' rich tapestry. Our boat was new last year and I suppose it still looks shiny but I like the fact that there are so many different styles and colours, no matter what their age is or how clean they are :cheers: .

Ann

People with scruffy boats have no pride in themselves.

Historic boaters think they own the cut.

People who live aboard are playing the system.

People who only boat at weekends are just playing at being boaters.

CC'ers want something for nothing.

People who moor in marinas have more money than sense.

People who moor online are a hazard to the navigation.

GRP owners don't have real boats.

Springers are "the Lada's of the cut."

Cruiser sterns are ugly and those that choose them have no taste.

The pump out brigade are clearly all mad and frankly, a bit gross.

The elsan fans clearly have some kind of weird fetish for shite.

Ah no, kidding, it's just "shiny boaters" who get stereotyped.

We are in some serious trouble judging by that list :cheers:

Well lets not be silly about it. :lol:

I reckon I could have got that list up to about thirty items with no trouble at all. :D

It would form the basis of an entertaining boatimag piece if you did.

Whilst reading this thread I am looking out of our window across the cut at a boat that we also saw recently in Nantwich. The guy who owns her is a continuous cruiser and keeps the boat in immaculate condition even though he also has a shiny little Staffie dog too.

The boat is named Pride.

Now isn't that what it's all about?

It doesn't matter whether your boat is new, transommed sterned, josher washered or even plastic, how you keep it is a matter of personal pride. Of course, there are instances where your circumstances dictate whether you are able to polish the brasses or shine the paint, but if folk from bye gone days whom worked up to 12 or 14 hours a day hauling all manner of goods along the way could do it, then I'm damn sure most of us can too.

Anyone who gets the opportunity to attend one of the boat festivals where ex-working boats are on show, will be aware of how much hard work goes into keeping these relics of the waterways afloat, and in the most part shiny. You can see how proud their owners are when people compliment them on their efforts.

Napton Hire Boats are often seen tootling along our way on the Shroppie along with Andersen Hire Boats and both companies pride themselves on keeping their respective fleets in good order and incidentally, also appear to pride themselves in being selective in whom they hire to. Something that in return, pays dividends in what condition the boats are returned in after each hire period.

So, to date, there doesn't appear to be a crime listed in the statute books regarding keeping your boat shiny and until there is, we shall risk the wrath of the great unwashed.

Now where did I put that Brasso?

Edited by Doorman
  • Greenie 2

Napton Hire Boats are often seen tootling along our way on the Shroppie along with Andersen Hire Boats and both companies pride themselves on keeping their respective fleets in good order and incidentally, also appear to pride themselves in being selective in whom they hire to. Something that in return, pays dividends in what condition the boats are returned in after each hire period.

not sure about that - they once let even me hire one....

Now isn't that what it's all about?

I hope not.

Boating first, maintenance second and Brasso so far down the list that when I finally do get round to it the contents of the tin have dried up completely so I have to go and buy a new one (allowing the polishing to slip down the list again).

The interior of the boat is a different matter, however, where I spend a significant amount of time polishing, fettling and generally making nice.

My living environment is far more important than the image I portray to strangers who I will probably never meet and have little regard for their opinion about me.

Edited by carlt

not sure about that - they once let even me hire one....

Surely not! :P

My living environment is far more important than the image I portray to strangers who I will probably never meet and have little regard for their opinion about me.

That goes without saying, but if there's any time left for me after hoovering, washing our dishes and polishing the dog's nose, I try and allow for a little exterior fettling too.

I'd hate to be labelled as a 'Rodney' after all :rolleyes: .

I have no problem with shiny boats per se. The problem comes with the care which some owners of shiny boats feel they need to give when out boating, terrified of the slightest scrape or scratch. Of course it's understandable that someone who has spent thousands on a smart paint job wants to look after it, but I fear that the proliferation of shiny boats has rather changed the nature of boating. I have heard that some surveyors spend a lot of their time assessing claims for paint damage, when it used to be just a case of the owner getting out his paint brush and doing a bit of touching up himself.

Tim

Surely not! :P

I do agree though they are some of the smartest hire boats on the system.

IMG_0197.jpg

(Ignore the missing wooden tiller end which 'ahem' was accidentally removed in a lock.)

I'd hate to be labelled as a 'Rodney' after all :rolleyes: .

Not sure what a "Rodney" is but if it is something that people look down their noses at based purely on the scruffiness of their boats then count me in.

I like looking at shiny boats and appreciate the time people put in to keeping them that way.

I also like looking at scruffy boats and appreciate the time people spend doing other things.

To quote somebody else's signature...I like boats.

You've got room for a keb?!

I have a scruffy looking boat (On the outside, but nice on the inside :) )

I would quite like a shiny boat on both the inside and outside, I can do 90% of jobs on the boat, but the biggest job of all, the exterior painting is not my bag. I tried to paint it about two years ago and it rained and ruined the job, looks even worse now than it did before I started. I have loads of other reasons why its not yet been painted :) With any luck, this is the year!

I was once asked not to enter a double lock by a shiny boater, next to his boat because he clearly thought the scruffiness was catching :)

Plenty of snobs out there from both sides, but as a general rule most of us are just about OK :)

I once got politely asked not to join a smart boat in a lock because he was an exhibition boat going to the Crick show.

I was happy to oblige.

I look up to him because I am scruffy on the outside - and even scruffier on the inside!

And he looks up to him because even though he is not scruffier on the inside, he is scruffy on the outside.

And he in turn looks up to God, because he is not scruffy on the inside, and very much not scruffy on the outside, and doesn't want God's rain falling on his boat.

Not sure what a "Rodney" is but if it is something that people look down their noses at based purely on the scruffiness of their boats then count me in.

I like looking at shiny boats and appreciate the time people put in to keeping them that way.

I also like looking at scruffy boats and appreciate the time people spend doing other things.

To quote somebody else's signature...I like boats.

A 'Rodney' was the expression used by the working boat people to describe scruffy boaters in their time. So, it appears that in bye gone days there were also opinionated folk whom frowned upon others in their trade who lacked the same sense of pride that most others possessed. It would be interesting to hear from one of the forum members whose families were once working boaters, to validate this expression.

We too like boats of all shapes and sizes, together with the people who inhabit them who are usually the most interesting that we've ever met. It is the boat owner's prerogative to do whatever they wish in terms of maintaining the appearance of their boat, but like houses along a street, if one is dirty and unkempt, it tends to suggest that the owners inside are of a similar ilk. I must add though, that a clear contradiction of this maxim is indeed our very own Ange. Both Ange and her partner Dave have taken on the task of renovating their boat from inside out and out being last on the very long list of things to do.

So if anyone passes them and they haven't yet arrived on the outside, then please disregard my comment, otherwise I'm in for a proper earbashing next time we meet. :help:

I once got politely asked not to join a smart boat in a lock because he was an exhibition boat going to the Crick show.

I was happy to oblige.

I look up to him because I am scruffy on the outside - and even scruffier on the inside!

And he looks up to him because even though he is not scruffier on the inside, he is scruffy on the outside.

And he in turn looks up to God, because he is not scruffy on the inside, and very much not scruffy on the outside, and doesn't want God's rain falling on his boat.

:P

Edited by Doorman

We too like boats of all shapes and sizes, together with the people who inhabit them who are usually the most interesting that we've ever met. It is the boat owner's prerogative to do whatever they wish in terms of maintaining the appearance of their boat, but like houses along a street, if one is dirty and unkempt, it tends to suggest that the owners inside are of a similar ilk. I must add though, that a clear contradiction of this maxim is indeed our very own Ange. Both Ange and her partner Dave have taken on the task of renovating their boat from inside out and out being last on the very long list of things to do.

Nobody knows anyone else's personal situation or why their boat is how it is unless they are told by the owner, nor do they have the right to comment on it. Your statement that Ange and Dave are a contradiction to this maxim is disingenuous, because you make negative assumptions about other people whose boats are in a similar cosmetic state for reasons that you don't know about without it even occurring to you that they might be going about things in the same way that Ange and Dave are.

The exterior of my boat is a shitshow of ten layers of peeling paint, chimney crud and mess. Assuming that I myself am dirty and unkempt as a result of this, or that the interior of my boat is dirty and unkempt will be met with a response of "kiss my arse."

I bought my boat 18 months ago and it didn't even have running water or a shower at the time, and so much like Ange and Dave, my boat is getting sorted out slowly, in priority order.

But even when I am finished and finally get to the painting of it, it will never be anything other than what it is: A small, cheap cookie cutter boat. I must assume from your logic that this also makes me a small, cheap, cookie cutter person. :closedeyes:

Honestly, and some people with 'shiny boats' actually think that they are stereotyped enough to stand here decrying it, while neatly demonstrating their own propensity to judge others, and in a much more scathing way.

Nobody knows anyone else's personal situation or why their boat is how it is unless they are told by the owner, nor do they have the right to comment on it. Your statement that Ange and Dave are a contradiction to this maxim is disingenuous, because you make negative assumptions about other people whose boats are in a similar cosmetic state for reasons that you don't know about without it even occurring to you that they might be going about things in the same way that Ange and Dave are.

The exterior of my boat is a shitshow of ten layers of peeling paint, chimney crud and mess. Assuming that I myself am dirty and unkempt as a result of this, or that the interior of my boat is dirty and unkempt will be met with a response of "kiss my arse."

I bought my boat 18 months ago and it didn't even have running water or a shower at the time, and so much like Ange and Dave, my boat is getting sorted out slowly, in priority order.

But even when I am finished and finally get to the painting of it, it will never be anything other than what it is: A small, cheap cookie cutter boat. I must assume from your logic that this also makes me a small, cheap, cookie cutter person. :closedeyes:

Honestly, and some people with 'shiny boats' actually think that they are stereotyped enough to stand here decrying it, while neatly demonstrating their own propensity to judge others, and in a much more scathing way.

Wow Starcoaster!

You are obviously still seething from the effect of your episode with the lunatic hire boaters.

If you care to re-read my comment, and others by me on this thread carefully, you will appreciate that I have already accounted for people's circumstances quite clearly and not as you suggest disingenuously. As you say, without knowing a person's situation fully, then it is wrong to assume that they are slothenly or otherwise. Ange and Dave are a perfect example of this.

My analogy of the 'houses in a street' is quite an accurate comparison of how people perceive a boat's owner (rightly or wrongly) by the appearance of their boat. It is a fact of life, no matter how distasteful, that people tend to take a book by its cover without ever looking into its content.

And when it comes to making assumptions, many on here do so without considering the true character of the person who makes a comment, whether that comment fits in with their own train of thought or belief, they have a right to make it. In this particular instance, you clearly have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Wow Starcoaster!

You are obviously still seething from the effect of your episode with the lunatic hire boaters.

you clearly have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

Mike

If Star has got hold of he wrong end of the stick , be afraid ......