A woman's question

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

I only have one 110ah leisure battery, the second one is my starter battery. I would quite like to use some sort of hairdrier, just for a few minutes a day, and I know this is not enough power. Is there any solution. I would appreciate any advice. Would it make any difference if the engin was running?

Edited by Water Rat.

Not sure how you survive with one leisure battery we have 4 X 165 and I feel we are well 'underpowered'. If your hairdryer is 12V no sweat though running your engine will help - if using an AC converter run your engine. If on shore power just carry on regardless.

Peter

If my good lady wanted a hairdryer to use on our boat I would suggest a 12v one rather than a mains one - such as My link

In your circumstances (with only one leisure battery) I would run the engine.

I know the 12v ones are not as powerful/good as the mains ones but electrically they are viable.

Otherwise you would have to be able to generate mains voltage with 2kva available. One one leisure battery, even with the engine running I would suggest this is not practical.

Chris has a 230V travel hairdryer which draws 350/700W. This works well and doesn't clobber the batteries, but we do have 4 x 110Ah. Would work ok on a single battery if you ran the engine at the same time, assuming you have an inverter of a suitable rating.

I have one of those 12v hairdryers and they are indeed rubbish. The power and the heat of it just would not dry all my hair if I ran it for a week.

I only need to dry my fringe as it is very unruly. I have long hair and like to wash it every day but can get away with just washing the fringe and leaving the rest for a day or two.

I let my hair dry naturally when I'm on the boat, it is wavy and to make the 'waves' a bit wavier, I spray my home made salt spray in it - Sea salt, a drop of hair gel spray and water. Gives you 'beach' hair.

Another thing I do is if we are on a trip somewhere and we stop at a pub, I've been known to wash my fringe in the ladies loos and use the hand dryer to dry it!

And finally - remember those gas hot brushes? Someone recommended to let your hair dry naturally then style it with one of those, and it does tame my fringe a bit if I just leave it.

Enough tips? :lol:

I only have one 110ah leisure battery, the second one is my starter battery. I would quite like to use some sort of hairdrier, just for a few minutes a day, and I know this is not enough power. Is there any solution. I would appreciate any advice. Would it make any difference if the engin was running?

Just crank Jade up to four knots and let nature take it's course!

ap_titanic_winslet_dicaprio_wy_120326_wblog.jpg

My OH has a gas hot brush and it has worked well for several years now both on the boat and when we go abroad just lets her hair dry then styles and puts body in it with the brush She says it works well

I have absolutely no idea what a gas hot brush is. It sounds terrifying. I did once have a cut like the woman in Alan's picture - but that is when I had a run in with a gas hot oven and burnt off most of my, then, waist length hair!! I have no desire to repeat that.

It sounds as though I might get away with a 12v drier with engin running.

Edited by Water Rat.