Visitor Moorings

Ray

Featured Posts

I may be completely wrong, but I suspect that many hirers (particularly first timers) only choose visitor moorings because thay perjhaps do not realise that you can moor anywhere unless ther is a sign preventig it. they also probably want to stop where they can access a pub or retuaraunt whichis what many of us would do on a non boating holiday.

As for us, we rarely use designated visitir moorings, prefering to moor somewhere out in the sticks where we can enjoy the countryside. However, we do try t find somewhere with piling as it usually indictes a greater dpth and makes tying up much easier.

We moor on the Shroppie and try to take advantage of the many visitor moorings provided by SUCS. Not only

do they choose sites where you can moor alongside Armco,but also provide rings so that the dreaded pins are not required!

Then they change good moorings into 48 hour mooring without any consultation.

• Greenie 1

It isn't their garden though, is it?

I might not want cars parked outside my house but it isn't "my road".

If it is offside, btw, then the towpath opposite is the worst I've seen in 30 odd years.

That is the worst towpath I've seen...

Might not be their personal garden but it is the communal garden

Just as down at Wanders lovely looking moorings but not, in fact the whole of that pound on the offside would be good moorings but they are private.

Its when they ban moorings on the towpath opposite a development that I have a problem.

Offside.

But it begs the question, why install bollards, and then have to erect "no mooring signs".

Similar useless bollards offside below "the Riser" of course.

Because they look good and finish off the design

No. AIUI.

I think the Data Protection Act applies only to data stored electronically.

MtB

In the broader sense, isn't any personal information, data, in any form?

Edited by Higgs

No. AIUI.

MtB

Not exclusively, see guidance here from the Information Commissioner's Office.

Data means information which –

(a) is being processed by means of equipment operating automatically in response to instructions given for that purpose,

(B) is recorded with the intention that it should be processed by means of such equipment,

© is recorded as part of a relevant filing system or with the intention that it should form part of a relevant filing system,

(d) does not fall within paragraph (a), (B) or © but forms part of an accessible record as defined by section 68, or

(e) is recorded information held by a public authority and does not fall within any of paragraphs (a) to (d).

Relevant filing system (referred to in paragraph © of the definition) is defined in the Act as:

any set of information relating to individuals to the extent that, although the information is not processed by means of equipment operating automatically in response to instructions given for that purpose, the set is structured, either by reference to individuals or by reference to criteria relating to individuals, in such a way that specific information relating to a particular individual is readily accessible.

So it really depends on the intended manipulation and / or filing system for paper records.

Richard

Might not be their personal garden but it is the communal garden

I guess canal users aren't "communal" enough, then.

I'd be very interested to know if there's a ransom strip here because, if there wasn't, I can't help feeling there'd be a fence here, not just unofficial "no mooring" signs.

I guess canal users aren't "communal" enough, then.

I'd be very interested to know if there's a ransom strip here because, if there wasn't, I can't help feeling there'd be a fence here, not just unofficial "no mooring" signs.

Ransom strip.

Would this strip be retained by CRT for the presevation of an effective boundary against encroachment or development up to the edge of the canal?

Edited by Higgs

As a relative novice I find it a right pain at the end of a day to struggle to find somewhere to stop that isn't too shallow or has soggy bank that won't take pins or has a shelf that you only discover after you've got into bed, or has another problem. So I go for VMs. But I'd be perfectly happy with just Ms, mooring spots in the middle of nowhere that you easily use and marked as such.

Ransom strip.

Would this strip be retained by CRT for the presevation of an effective boundary against encroachment or development up to the edge of the canal?

Yes and to allow maintenance of the offside bank without hindrance from the adjacent landowner.

No. AIUI.

MtB

It's arriving as emails - surely that is already stored electronically.

And the task for collators is to transer that data into a consolidated Excel spreadsheet - - electronic again!

Possibly but the DPA only applies to electronic data

Not exclusively, see guidance here from the Information Commissioner's Office.

So it really depends on the intended manipulation and / or filing system for paper records.

Richard

The data is arriving electronically (emails) being transferred by volunteers into collated spreadsherts (electronic) and will be mailed back to CRT to get collated into one mega-spreadsheet.

Unless I'm missing something it is surely within the scope of the Data Protection Act then.

So who is actoing improperly.....

1) CRT for handing over to collators without even mentioning this

2) Collators who do anything with the data other than collate it and return it CRT. (How are they placed if a copy remains on their PC, or on backups of their PC?

3) Both of the above.

Edited by alan_fincher

The data is arriving electronically (emails) being transferred by volunteers into collated spreadsherts (electronic) and will be mailed back to CRT to get collated into one mega-spreadsheet.

Unless I'm missing something it is surely within the scope of the Data Protection Act then.

So who is actoing improperly.....

1) CRT for handing over to collators without even mentioning this

2) Collators who do anything with the data other than collate it and return it CRT. (How are they placed if a copy remains on their PC, or on backups of their PC?

3) Both of the above.

I think people who need access to do some particular data task are given clearance and access to perform the procedure. Hopefully this data should be on a mainframe and shouldn't be transferable to the personal laptops of staff below a certain grade. The same people, then, would be locked-out, when the task is complete. ??

Edited by Higgs

It's arriving as emails - surely that is already stored electronically.

I doubt it. I think for the DPA to apply, data has to be stored in an electronic filing system.. An electronic version of a card index file for example.

And the task for collators is to transer that data into a consolidated Excel spreadsheet - - electronic again!

Ah now that sounds more like it.....

But my comment was made as I had assumed the records were on bits of paper, as somebody here said "A strange fact is that actually the collators have been passed stacks of responses". But as we know, assumption is the mother of all cock-ups

:)

MtB

We have a gangplank, its fine if the bottom is solid, but I find that when the bottom is soft as it is around there, passing boats tend to "work"the boat against the bottom and after a while, the ropes are totally loose and the boat lurches around with passing traffic, and/or ends up at an uncomfortable angle. Don't forget that unlike where you are, we actually have moving boats around here.

Now you are being ridiculous.

"I can't put a plank down because the bottom is too soft and I really can't be arsed to adjust my ropes as my boat pulls in toward the bank"

As for "we actually have moving boats around here." - you can do better than that. What a puerile comment.

I doubt it. I think for the DPA to apply, data has to be stored in an electronic filing system.. An electronic version of a card index file for example.

Ah now that sounds more like it.....

But my comment was made as I had assumed the records were on bits of paper, as somebody here said "A strange fact is that actually the collators have been passed stacks of responses". But as we know, assumption is the mother of all cock-ups

:)

MtB

Still doesn't matter it of electronic or not. It's any relevant filing system. Any data that is likely to result in personal information being held.

Anyway, since the processing is being done by a collator, and is proportionate to the reason for it being collected, doubtful any offence was committed. even the initial post is a general comment on what some information seemed to suggest. No one was identified in it.

Edited by Captain Zim

As for "we actually have moving boats around here." - you can do better than that. What a puerile comment.

I know, I really shouldn't, but its just so easy to get a bite! Beats sitting on a muddy bank with worms and a rod on a rainy day.

Edited by nicknorman

I am aware of a fair bit of the GU where large lengths are piled and some of that runs on from VMs. Much of the MK pound is like that so why would anyone complain about an absence of VMs in the area?

From the top of (southern) GU lock 34 (bottom Seabrook) to the top of Marsworth flight (lock 45) there is piled bank all along the way and hardly any of it is unusable for mooring. There is also quite a bit of mooring in the long pound part way up the Stoke Bruerne lock flight (albeit I think all of that is restricted time wise but I don;t think is posted as VMs).

I appreciate that hirers may not be aware they can moor anywhere but to the best of my knowledge they weren't consulted as part of the consultation. As those consulted presumably have varying lengths of experience, they'd know this wasn't the case and yet there seems to be this underlying concept that we have to use VMs - that's "have to" as in ignore any suitable adjacent mooring space.

I just wondered why? We like to moor close to the bank if we can but we've been known not to on many an occasion.

As I said in the OP, this isn't about the consultation (nor the DPA), it is about what appears to be a concept that you either moor on the VMs where you want to stop or you move on to VMs somewhere else even when there may be perfectly good mooring that isn't declared as VMs within a few yards of the end of the VMs