Has anyone been to The Folly (Napton) recently?

Morat

Featured Posts

Been on-line banking for over 10 years. Could not be happier. Last time I went into a bank was to withdraw (a large sum of) cash for boat painting and was the only time I have been in a bank in 5 years.

You send cheques to a freepost address with a paying in-slip in the pre-paid envelopes the bank provides. No petrol, no parking faff and done from where I am sat holding a brew.

With Lloyds you can drop them in at the Post office

Well then, if I receive printed statements and can pay by cheque, what on earth is the point of having on line banking?

The main benefit I find is to make payments to other people or businesses without writing and posting a cheque. I can enter their bank account details and move money using a web page. I could transfer a £100 into your bank account in about a minute to prove this, if I knew your bank account number and sort code. But I don't, so what a shame!

But as you don't use on-line banking, you would be unable to see immediately that I'd put the £100 into your bank account -you'd have to wait for your next paper statement to arrive in the post to find out...

This speed of transacting is available in addition to using traditional banking methods, not instead of.

MtB

I won't even mention the benefits of banking by 'mobile apps.' on your phone or tablet PC given I know yo don't have a mobile.

You (or yo) just did!

Our porcine colleague's point is interesting though: I would not mind Freepost envelopes for times when I can't get to the bank to pay my cheques in. I must see if LTSB offer this service. No "parking faff" though, Sam, I go into town on the bus.

It does tickle me that some people rush to embrace every last bit of space-age technology, yet delight in travelling along a 200-year old transport system, on much of which they're limited to 4 m.p.h., in craft which, if not replicas, are at least based on the boats of 70 years ago. Perhaps they would be happier in the overtaking lane of the M25 if they wish everything to be lightning-fast and instantaneous.

Edited by Athy

You (or yo) just did!

Our porcine colleague's point is interesting though: I would not mind Freepost envelopes for times when I can't get to the bank to pay my cheques in. I must see if LTSB offer this service. No "parking faff" though, Sam, I go into town on the bus.

See post #101 - you can use a post office seemingly at least, but guess what you need to be able to use the service.....

http://www.lloydstsb.com/ways_to_bank_with_us/post_office_banking.asp

It does tickle me that some people rush to embrace every last bit of space-age technology, yet delight in travelling along a 200-year old transport system, on much of which they're limited to 4 m.p.h., in craft which, if not replicas, are at least based on the boats of 70 years ago. Perhaps they would be happier in the overtaking lane of the M25 if they wish everything to be lightning-fast and instantaneous.

Conversely I get tickled when I see people wasting time and money doing stuff that you can do over t'internet in seconds if not minutes and no doubt still expect to see a face like this when they go to the bank...

_45462949_capt_bbc_282.jpg

More - actually thinking about it a bit more I would have thought on line banking would be a godsend for any body who lives aboard, particularly a CCer.

Edited by The Dog House

Well then, if I receive printed statements and can pay by cheque, what on earth is the point of having on line banking?

Well for one thing have you considered that many of the people you currently pay by cheque might have a very strong preference that you didn't, as it will involve them in far more admin, (including a trip to the bank), to get the money in their account.

I'm always slightly miffed when someone who could have paid me by a direct bank to bank transfer feels it necessary to put me through the bother of processing a cheque.

Presumably why an increasing number of businesses now state "cards only, no cheques".

Also if you are paying postal bills received by cheque, you may presumably some times having to pay postage to actually make your payment? If for example I owe HMRC money at the end of a tax year, I can pay the exact amount by a direct transfer, but if I paid by post they expect me to supply a stamp, which I object to on principle!

You (or yo) just did!

You can pay them in at the Post Office, fill in a paying in slip, put that and cheques in a special envelope and hand it over the counter and it arrives in your account next day

Presumably why an increasing number of businesses now state "cards only, no cheques".

In part yes I think that is correct but I also think a lot stopped taking cheques when the Cheque guarantee scheme ended.

See post #101 - you can use a post office seemingly at least, but guess what you need to be able to use the service.....

http://www.lloydstsb.com/ways_to_bank_with_us/post_office_banking.asp

Conversely I get tickled when I see people wasting time and money doing stuff that you can do over t'internet in seconds if not minutes and no doubt still expect to see a face like this when they go to the bank...

_45462949_capt_bbc_282.jpg

More - actually thinking about it a bit more I would have thought on line banking would be a godsend for any body who lives aboard, particularly a CCer.

I have always found that the post office has the envelopes, you just need your paying in slip

In the interests of science I have been to 6 pubs in 4 counties this weekend and only 1 did not take cards , the one that didn't co-incidentally ( a town centre pub ) was on its second landlord in 3 months and was the most run down.

In part yes I think that is correct but I also think a lot stopped taking cheques when the Cheque guarantee scheme ended.

My main reason for refusing cheques and insisting on cash or card is time they waste.

I can mend an extra boiler a week in the time it used to take me to record and then drive to the bank to pay in a week of cheques, or even just one cheque. More than offsets the cost of card processing.

MtB

I think that Athy is just going through a grumpy period --- or he is just trying to wind us up.

Cash is old hat. You don't hear about security vans being turned over so much these days. Ever wondered why supermarkets are so keen to give us cash back? They want to reduce their mountain of cash.

Why would pubs be any different? Why would you want to be in a pub (particularly a country one) with large amounts of cash on the premises when all the customers have gone home?

Cards make sense for the customer & the business.

Thank you for your condescension. I am neither grumpy nor winding anyone up. I'm just a person (I was going to say "normal person" but I am a narrowboat owner) weho pays cash, as I and millions of other people have done for many years.

Don't be so silly. It is real money, and is what people use to pay for things which they want to buy. Regarding business, if I refused to accept cash at a record fair I would sell no records, except to people who had their cheque books with them.

Instead of making snide remarks perhaps you could address the main point of my post, which was that theft of cash has been reduced as the use of cards has increased & that has got to be a good thing.

You (or yo) just did!

I am also fascinated by beam engines but ain't sure I would be happy relying on them to supply water to the significantly increased UK population from the time whence (nice old word), they were designed and built..

Instead of making snide remarks perhaps you could address the main point of my post, which was that theft of cash has been reduced as the use of cards has increased & that has got to be a good thing.

I'm amused. You, who quite erroneously and gratuitously accused me of grumpiness and of trying to wind people up, then suggest that I am making "snide" remarks? Tee-hee.

I have not seen any statistics relating to a fall in the theft of cash, though if you have seen such figures I'll take your word for it. I have, however, seen that there has been a dramatic increase in the theft and "cloning" of credit and debit cards over the last few years, so I guess it's swings and roundabouts.

I'm amused. You, who quite erroneously and gratuitously accused me of grumpiness and of trying to wind people up, then suggest that I am making "snide" remarks? Tee-hee.

I have not seen any statistics relating to a fall in the theft of cash, though if you have seen such figures I'll take your word for it. I have, however, seen that there has been a dramatic increase in the theft and "cloning" of credit and debit cards over the last few years, so I guess it's swings and roundabouts.

The difference is that if your card is stolen or cloned (mine has been twice) you get your money back. If your cash is stolen, invariably you do not.

Edited by The Dog House

Good. That will help educate people to take proper money and not daft little plastic cards into pubs. If I ran a pub and a customer asked to pay by card I'd bar them.

Are you sure you're not related to mrsmelly?

If you ran a pub like that it would be a short lived undertaking.

From the other side of the bar: Cash is OK, obviously, and it accounts for around 80% of our take on wet trade only, but it does need looking after, and insuring a sufficiently high amount of it to be on the premises overnight adds to the costs of running the business, as does the cost of paying it into the bank. Taking it to the night safe at 0230 is another risk to be managed. We've been burgled twice in 5 years, both times cash was target.

Cards cost us money to use - about 40p a transaction, except American Express which is more expensive and won't do at all, thanks all the same Sir. We have a minimum spend level of £10 and absorb the card transaction cost. £10 is typically more than the cost of two drinks and less than the cost of four - and of course we can keep your card behind the bar for you. There is a cash machine 100yds from the bar if folk don't want to play that game, and we always tell them that. We won't have a cash machine on site because we'd have to keep it filled and that can interfere with cash flow, plus they charge the punter three or four times what a card transaction costs.

PDQ machines are tied to business bank accounts and supplied subject to credit checks. Premises that have previously defaulted on payments could therefore have problems getting reconnected even if completely new owners take over. Cash is also a more, erm, flexible medium in a business where receipts or invoices are not the norm.

Good to hear from a professional, thanks.

Nope, no relation to anyone smelly as far as I know. Soap in situ.

The landlord and landlady of our local do not take cards and have been there for about 10 years - but it's 90% "wet" trade, maybe those who like to disguise a restaurant as a pub have different methods.

More amateur learning the hard way than professional - if we were the latter we'd have had the brains not to buy the place. Still, there may be a small risk of profit next year if things keep on improving!

More amateur learning the hard way than professional - if we were the latter we'd have had the brains not to buy the place. Still, there may be a small risk of profit next year if things keep on improving!

Well at least you have had the brains not to limit your customer base since buying it! :cheers:

Good luck with it, I know it's a tough trade to be in at the moment.

I accept payment for my boiler repairs by credit card or debit card only. Have done for years. I a mobile card reader. Have had it for years.

I pay 40p per debit card transaction and 1.95% for credit card transactions. The time it saves me going to the bank to pay in cheques and cash is phenomenal. Allows me to earn WAY more than it costs me mending more boilers using the time saved not having to drive to the bank, queue up, etc etc.

No iphone or android required. That would just look totally suspicious and unprofessional in my opinion.

So how does it link back to the bank, do you have to upload transactions within a certain time?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I see you're in Southampton, Banterette?

I'm off the beer at the moment (meds) but will let you know when I'm back in the game - where's your boozer?

ETA: I have replied to your pm.

Edited by Willber G

• 3 weeks later...

One of my sons is on Nightwatch at the mo and he tells me he has been into the Folly today.

Enjoyed the experience. Said the 'landlord' was very welcoming and sociable. The Folly now takes cards. But with a minimum of a £10.00 spend.

Martyn