Just in for money

Taxi!

Featured Posts

It is not only the site owner who does not want this sort of thing on this forum. The majority of the regular forum members are sick to the back teeth of people who feel they can use this resource to air their arguments in public.

If people genuinly need advice about reliable traders to get a job done or what may be a reasonable cost for a job then they can come here and ask people with a wealth of knowledge and experience to provide their views and recommendations. If people do not have the knowledge and experience themselves of an trader or individual before they give the job to a trader and can't be bothered to register with this site to ask for recommendations before hand then why do they think they can then come here and try and slag someone off.

Please take your petty dispute to the place where it belongs - the small claims court

Nobody is forcing you to read every thread on here. If somebody wants to post about a bad experience I can't see any reason to stop them.

It was taken down because somebody complained about a COPYRIGHT violation.

It was taken down because someone ALLEGED (as you like to use capitals) a copyright violation

It is the allegation that took the site down, like defamation, slander, libel, terrorism, hate crime and lots of other things do

Are you sure this is the forum for you? I mean, the host is obviously a censorious coward, and people don't seem to hold the same opinions as you

Richard

I do wonder why we are allowed to post things like: "Crap pub, crap beer, lousy food, miserable bar staff, ugly landlord!"

but we can't say "Crap boatyard, crap boats, lousy service, miserable staff, ugly boat builder!".

Why are boatyards immune from bad reviews but its open season on pubs?

• Greenie 3

Nobody is forcing you to read every thread on here. If somebody wants to post about a bad experience I can't see any reason to stop them.

I think you miss Cheshire Rose's point. He clearly references people airing arguments, not bad experiences. There's a world of difference in my opinion.

The way I see it...

You have the right to post what you want on the forum.

The forum owners and moderators then have the right to decide what stays and what goes.

If they don't want naming and shaming then accept it. It's their site not yours.

• Greenie 3

I do wonder why we are allowed to post things like: "Crap pub, crap beer, lousy food, miserable bar staff, ugly landlord!"

but we can't say "Crap boatyard, crap boats, lousy service, miserable staff, ugly boat builder!".

Why are boatyards immune from bad reviews but its open season on pubs?

I'll assume your tongue is so far in your cheek there, it probably looks like an obscene sexual act! ;)

Possible scenario -

Delta9 boat services have been running for years, they are a very successful boat builders with a good reputation.

A N Nunther customer comes along to have some work done - for whatever reason he is unhappy with the work and without giving Delta9 Boat services the chance to resolve it they post on here about how rubbish you are at engine repairs.

At the same Mr New boat buyer is currently compiling a list of possible boat builders using the forum as part of the research. In doing so sees A N Nuthers posts and deletes Delata9 Boat services from his short-list costing you thousands upon thousands of pounds worth of business......

would you be happy??

I sure wouldn't be.

By this reasoning all restaurant review sites should be taken down. If I was compiling a list of boat builders I would love to see a bunch of reviews, good and bad, so I could chose the builder with the most satisfied customers. That is the whole point of writing a review or telling others about your experience. If you were looking for a boat builder, would you not like to read a few reviews from previous customers before you chose one?

• Greenie 1

The way I see it...

You have the right to post what you want on the forum.

The forum owners and moderators then have the right to decide what stays and what goes.

If they don't want naming and shaming then accept it. It's their site not yours.

Greenie for you too.

:clapping:

would you not like to read a few reviews from previous customers before you chose one?

I may very well do that yes but equally somebody may not... and that is not the fault of Delta9 Boat services....

By this reasoning all restaurant review sites should be taken down. If I was compiling a list of boat builders I would love to see a bunch of reviews, good and bad, so I could chose the builder with the most satisfied customers. That is the whole point of writing a review or telling others about your experience. If you were looking for a boat builder, would you not like to read a few reviews from previous customers before you chose one?

Mate, there are ways of doing it. The OP would appear to have taken it to a little bit of an extreme.

It was taken down because someone ALLEGED (as you like to use capitals) a copyright violation

It is the allegation that took the site down, like defamation, slander, libel, terrorism, hate crime and lots of other things do

Are you sure this is the forum for you? I mean, the host is obviously a censorious coward, and people don't seem to hold the same opinions as you

Richard

Yes they alleged a COPYRIGHT violation. Copyright is covered by different laws to libel (derp)

The host can do as he/she wishes. I was merely asking why. Apparently this opened a can of worms.

Edited by Delta9

If you check some older threads, you'll find quite a few along the lines of 'Anyone got any experience of Delta9 Boat Services?'. The responses usually are either 'Oh yes, brilliant...etc. etc.' or 'PM sent'.

Ask for opinions and you'll get them.

Richard

The host can do as he/she wishes. I was merely asking why. Apparently this opened a can of worms.

Prodded a raw spot more like. Two or three times a year, someone asks for bad reviews to be a part of this forum. This series of posts by all parties is pretty typical of what follows

Richard

Richard

Ok you clearly have no idea about the difference between copyright and libel law. If I make a copyright complaint against a youtube video it is taken down, because that is how copyright law works. If I complain that the video is slanderous, the video will not be taken down unless a judge orders for it, and that would be after they have established if the video was actually slanderous or not.

Edited by Delta9

I'll assume your tongue is so far in your cheek there, it probably looks like an obscene sexual act! ;)

No it's a genuine question.

Pubs are frequently criticised on the forums yet boatyards are not.

Personally I believe that someone slagging a pub off is no different to someone having a go at a boatyard and is not a good idea, considering the equally common threads about yet another canalside pub closing down

Ok you clearly have no idea about the difference between copyright and libel law. If I make a copyright complaint against a youtube video it is taken down, because that is how copyright law works. If I complain that the video is slanderous, the video will not be taken down unless a judge orders for it, and that would be after they have established if the video was actually slanderous or not.

Really?

How on earth would something like Wikipedia be able to exist if it wasn't able to take down anything its owners feel is defamatory, without the say so of a judge?

Perhaps because it's a lot easier to determine whether a meal is cold or not compared to what the problem is with someones engine or whether the repair worked or not.

Just a thought?

We only have to look at threads where we try and diagnose someones engine to know it's a lot more tricky than avoiding burning someones pizza! :)

I haven't been on the cut or on CWDF for very long, but I've been here for long enough to realise that canal woes (be they stolen boats or dodgy engines) are like icebergs. 90% of the truth is below the surface.

Edited by Lady Muck

Pubs are frequently criticised on the forums yet boatyards are not.

Personally I believe that someone slagging a pub off is no different to someone having a go at a boatyard and is not a good idea, considering the equally common threads about yet another canalside pub closing down

I think it depends whether the 'review' is a general one or a specific event. If the OP of this thread had just said "I took my boat to x to have some work done. Not happy with the result and it took ages to get it sorted" no-one probably would have noticed :)

Same with a pub review. If someone posted they had been barred from a pub and went on a rant about it I'd think that out of order.

Really?

How on earth would something like Wikipedia be able to exist if it wasn't able to take down anything its owners feel is defamatory, without the say so of a judge?

It is able to take stuff down, it is not required to take stuff down. Anyone can edit wickipedia so that was a terrible example btw.

Edited by Delta9

I think it depends whether the 'review' is a general one or a specific event. If the OP of this thread had just said "I took my boat to x to have some work done. Not happy with the result and it took ages to get it sorted" no-one probably would have noticed :)

Same with a pub review. If someone posted they had been barred from a pub and went on a rant about it I'd think that out of order.

Spot on.

Point of order Comrade Chairperson!

Jan, aka Cheshire Rose, is a she not a he.

Oh poo! Sorry Cheshire Rose! :blush: