Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, Derek R. said:

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/yarwoods-river-class/638242

"River class" ???? What is it with Appallingduck?

Back to blue again. But what have they done that makes it sound like a single? It never knocked like that.

I must admit the engine sounded very unlike a 3..

4 hours ago, max's son said:

Is the boat Dane or The Dane?

Or is this another boat

DANE was its commercial boat name, but only under Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd., and THE DANE was its pleasure boat name - one of the same boat, but not to be confused with the Mersey, Weaver and Ship Canal Carrying Company Ltd. wooden motor of the same name :captain:

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

DANE was its commercial boat name, but only under Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd., and THE DANE was its pleasure boat name - one of the same boat, but not to be confused with the Mersey, Weaver and Ship Canal Carrying Company Ltd. wooden motor of the same name :captain:

Hello Pete , which Dane was it that sold on Apollo Duck with the Butty Clara ? I believe this was a Wooden Motor , there are some pictures on the link below

https://noproblem.org.uk/blog/page/84/?iframe=true&width=100%&height=100%

17 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Hello Pete , which Dane was it that sold on Apollo Duck with the Butty Clara ? I believe this was a Wooden Motor , there are some pictures on the link below

https://noproblem.org.uk/blog/page/84/?iframe=true&width=100%&height=100%

The exThomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. one with the 15hp Bolinder and decked hold :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

25 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

The exThomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. one with the 15hp Bolinder and decked hold :captain:

2 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Thanks for that

When I bought my boat off the Thames in May 2018 CLARA was in use as a house boat at the river end of the Dukes Cut, Oxford. DANE has been up and down a few times since it was sold via Apollo Duck in the spring of 2018, so not too sure of the £15k valuation put on its Bolinder.

Here is DANE and CLARA at Marsworth :captain:

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

When I bought my boat off the Thames in May 2018 CLARA was in use as a house boat at the river end of the Dukes Cut, Oxford. DANE has been up and down a few times since it was sold via Apollo Duck in the spring of 2018, so not too sure of the £15k valuation put on its Bolinder.

Here is DANE and CLARA at Marsworth :captain:

Yes , these are the same Owners pictured whom I referred to in my earlier post , I wasn't aware they had left the Cut until I saw both Clara and Dane advertised on Apollo Duck . If I remember correctly the advert stated they were being sold as a pair or separately . I struggle to remember the price being asked though £30k for both seems to stick in my memory . I suspect Dane was in good order at the time of sale , I dont know what became of Clara or if indeed they sold as a pair . Its a very interesting section History and Heritage which I enjoy immensely , I stick to the Jaguars however as they are a bit cheaper ?

7 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

I stick to the Jaguars however as they are a bit cheaper ?

I am trying to resist buying another Jaguar at the moment, especially as my funds are supposed to be for completing my boat restoration (fully funded) and the purchase of a butty - the latter of which seems to have come to dead end until travel restrictions are lifted, by which time I fear the butty I really want will be sold :captain: 

2 hours ago, Admiral said:

I must admit the engine sounded very unlike a 3..

Hi Steve, yes, something very wrong with that engine. I have a short clip with sound from 2008, but the sound has been corrupted somehow. Anyway, a nice tak-at-a-tak-at-a - and no 'orrible clonk. Maybe someone's messed with the injector pump setting. The danger is what damage it has or is doing.

5 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I am trying to resist buying another Jaguar at the moment, especially as my funds are supposed to be for completing my boat restoration (fully funded) and the purchase of a butty - the latter of which seems to have come to dead end until travel restrictions are lifted, by which time I fear the butty I really want will be sold :captain: 

Certainly some high prices still being asked despite this predicted Post Covid Recession ( Both Jaguars and Boats ) I suspect sellers will eventually have to face some reality though hopefully not too harsh .

10 hours ago, max's son said:

Is the boat Dane or The Dane?

Or is this another boat

Stourbridge Arm 4.jpg

Stourbridge Arm 6.jpg

That pic is not long after she left Claytons,

Dane (the dane) are the same

Originally butty bath, then Severn motor number 7, then into Claytons and called dane.

3 hours ago, Parahandy said:

Yes , these are the same Owners pictured whom I referred to in my earlier post , I wasn't aware they had left the Cut until I saw both Clara and Dane advertised on Apollo Duck . If I remember correctly the advert stated they were being sold as a pair or separately . I struggle to remember the price being asked though £30k for both seems to stick in my memory . I suspect Dane was in good order at the time of sale , I dont know what became of Clara or if indeed they sold as a pair . Its a very interesting section History and Heritage which I enjoy immensely , I stick to the Jaguars however as they are a bit cheaper ?

Clara sold a few months back and was last seen heading down the South Oxford.

dane as far as I know sold not long after and was to a guy in Loughborough way, I last saw it at Foxton both afloat and sunk.

It wasn't till Malcolms Facebook page when he said everything is for sale including dane (Clayton dane) seen in the background of the pic.

Hence my asking. I'm going to be shot but I'm going to have to message Malcolm. If there is a chance I can get her back I will. But towy would have to go as 2 wooden boats is not a good idea.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

That pic is not long after she left Claytons,

Dane (the dane) are the same

Originally butty bath, then Severn motor number 7, then into Claytons and called dane.

The pictures were taken in 1961 "The Battle of Stourbridge"

Why was a Forecabin added to the boat and when

34 minutes ago, max's son said:

Forecabin was added by dad for me and my brother its based on Giffords sizes and design. As we didnt have a butty we needed extra space

Think was late 80s pos 89 as other work was done. But could be very early 90s

55 minutes ago, max's son said:

The location is about 100yards past Chubbs bridge towards Stourbridge, there was always a scour there as the road drains emptied into the canal at that point. Dane was owned at that time by the Parsons brothers, I thinks its Richard on the helm, Dane made the journey through the Stourbridge Canal a couple of times in the early 60's before its restoration, taking up to 2 days to do about 5 miles, I was sometimes put on the back being the lightest person to manipulate the controls whilst everyone else pulled on ropes to get it over the scours, my first experiance steering a 70 footer, At 9/10 years old some great memories.

Steven

Edited by Split Pin
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

Forecabin was added by dad for me and my brother its based on Giffords sizes and design. As we didnt have a butty we needed extra space

Think was late 80s pos 89 as other work was done. But could be very early 90s

DANE's forecabin was fitted in 1991 according your old man :captain:

5 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

DANE's forecabin was fitted in 1991 according your old man :captain:

Thanks Pete, I couldnt fully remember I was only 5-6 years old, but I remember it being built.

8 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

Thanks Pete, I couldnt fully remember I was only 5-6 years old, but I remember it being built.

Ironically having built that forecabin your parents bought the butty DITTON two years later :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

Yes I remember going to see her at 3 fellows, there was apple, Ditton and Aboyne (not sure on spelling) I saw apple and wanted it, lol

All 3 sold quite quick after that if I remember

4 hours ago, Split Pin said:

The location is about 100yards past Chubbs bridge towards Stourbridge, there was always a scour there as the road drains emptied into the canal at that point. Dane was owned at that time by the Parsons brothers, I thinks its Richard on the helm, Dane made the journey through the Stourbridge Canal a couple of times in the early 60's before its restoration, taking up to 2 days to do about 5 miles, I was sometimes put on the back being the lightest person to manipulate the controls whilst everyone else pulled on ropes to get it over the scours, my first experiance steering a 70 footer, At 9/10 years old some great memories.

Steven

Richard Parsons went off and set up hotel barges in france in 1966, and I believe cruising waterways all over Europe and further

Not sure which TC boats are in these photos whether Dane or Towy are there. Spey is on the bank

JN12$011.JPG

JN12$014.JPG

• Greenie 1