what 5 things on your boat would you grab in an emergency

davidc

Featured Posts

This topic was raised round about the time we moved aboard. I remember giving it some thought at the time and naming a few things like handbag with phone, keys, passports in it.

We've gradually grown complacent so all our stuff is spread throughout the boat - if we had to leave in a hurry it'd be just us and and dog in whatever we're wearing at the time.

One thing I do remember thinking is that if we did have to jump ashore with flames licking up our backsides is that I'd like a pair of boots to grab. The towpath in bare feet in the winter wouldn't be pleasant.

So forget 5 things, I think I'll plant some footwear in the engine room

Got me thinking which 5 things on your boat would you grab in an emergency (excluding pets, children and other halve).

If you exclude those things then it would be just one thing...The emergency grab bag that is always ready and filled with more than 5 things I would need.

If you exclude those things then it would be just one thing...The emergency grab bag that is always ready and filled with more than 5 things I would need.

I'm curious now, what's in your grab bag then Carl? Did you always have said grab bag at hand all the time you lived aboard?

I'm just wondering because we've reached the point where our boat is just like our house - we didn't have a grab bag in the house either.

I'm curious now, what's in your grab bag then Carl? Did you always have said grab bag at hand all the time you lived aboard?

I'm just wondering because we've reached the point where our boat is just like our house - we didn't have a grab bag in the house either.

Change of clothes, waterproofs that fold up into their pocket (I forget the brand), first aid kit, cheapie payg phone with all our numbers on kept charged, chocolate bars, Jetboil and tea making kit, towel and microfibre cloths, toothbrushes and toothpaste, Petzl headtorches, car keys, some cash and a credit card that is never used and has enough credit limit for a night in a hotel.

When on the lifeboat, in lumpy water we also had a handheld vhf and a PDA with marine charts loaded onto it.

All go in a waterproof "Ortlieb" bag and sit by the entrance.

There are probably other things that I forget (travel scrabble and kids books spring to mind) but I think "I am stood next to my burnt out/sunken boat in my underpants. It's 3 in the morning...What do I wish I had with me?" and the bag is soon filled.

Change of clothes, waterproofs that fold up into their pocket (I forget the brand), first aid kit, cheapie payg phone with all our numbers on kept charged, chocolate bars, Jetboil and tea making kit, towel and microfibre cloths, toothbrushes and toothpaste, Petzl headtorches, car keys, some cash and a credit card that is never used and has enough credit limit for a night in a hotel.

When on the lifeboat, in lumpy water we also had a handheld vhf and a PDA with marine charts loaded onto it.

All go in a waterproof "Ortlieb" bag and sit by the entrance.

There are probably other things that I forget (travel scrabble and kids books spring to mind) but I think "I am stood next to my burnt out/sunken boat in my underpants. It's 3 in the morning...What do I wish I had with me?" and the bag is soon filled.

Wow! I'm impressed - truly.

We go to bed with nothing to hand if we have to run out in a hurry.

Methinks we need to address this issue - trouble is we feel so safe on our boat that it seems like a non issue. I know it is though and this thread is a good wake up call.

My comment was intended that the question asked of the children was stupid. You wouldn't grab books in an emergency.

After that I answered with what I would grab in an emergency.

Then I suggested what perhaps the original question (about books) was meant to be getting at.

What's wrong with that, or have I missunderstood the 'please reread'?

Sorry thought had misunderstood

The school my youngest goes to have a book club there have posed this question to book club members?

Which 5 books would there grab in an emergency.

Got me thinking which 5 things on your boat would you grab in an emergency (excluding pets, children and other halve).

Absoultely nowt.......just get out. ( Assuming a fire on the boat that is )

Tim

My comment was intended that the question asked of the children was stupid. You wouldn't grab books in an emergency.

If I was unable to assist them my children would no doubt grab the 5 thickest books on the shelf, to stand on in order to reach the key, to open the front door.

This topic was raised round about the time we moved aboard. I remember giving it some thought at the time and naming a few things like handbag with phone, keys, passports in it.

We've gradually grown complacent so all our stuff is spread throughout the boat - if we had to leave in a hurry it'd be just us and and dog in whatever we're wearing at the time.

One thing I do remember thinking is that if we did have to jump ashore with flames licking up our backsides is that I'd like a pair of boots to grab. The towpath in bare feet in the winter wouldn't be pleasant.

So forget 5 things, I think I'll plant some footwear in the engine room

Most of that is also true for houses.

Books in an emergency? What?

I wouldn't stop to browse the shelves, books can (usually) be replaced - and are far less important than people and pets - and I own thousands of books.

The only place I'd consider stopping to grab books would be the British Library, or another place with irreplaceable books - but I wouldn't risk the lives of myself or others.

What would I grab on the way out of the boat with the rest of the important things (family and dog)? My bag, it contains: keys, phone, money, small toolkits, kindle, (and a set of dice from 4 sided to 100 sided - don't ask!).

Perhaps the question is badly phrased - is this really a version of "Desert Island Books"?

Ah, a proper gamer. :)

All my kit's sat in boxes in the garage 'till my son and his mates are old enough for me to contemplate running a game of something for them, including my Call of Cthulhu dice set (black marbled with glow in the dark green numbers).

Books in an emergency? What?

I wouldn't stop to browse the shelves, books can (usually) be replaced - and are far less important than people and pets - and I own thousands of books.

The only place I'd consider stopping to grab books would be the British Library, or another place with irreplaceable books - but I wouldn't risk the lives of myself or others.

What would I grab on the way out of the boat with the rest of the important things (family and dog)? My bag, it contains: keys, phone, money, small toolkits, kindle, (and a set of dice from 4 sided to 100 sided - don't ask!).

Perhaps the question is badly phrased - is this really a version of "Desert Island Books"?

I just can't picture a FOUR sided dice (is such a thing possible?) so I will ask.

Dave