New System of Charges

dmr

Featured Posts

I have just read yet another anti-CC thread which can be summed up as:

"Bitter and Twisted Hobby boater wants CaRT to penalise ME because HE CHOOSES not to use HIS boat very much."

I have been thinking about this.

First some facts:

1 With only a few exceptions it is NOT CC'ers who cause congestion on the waterways.

2 Congestion is because 30,000 marina based leisure boats all go cruising in July, August and Easter.

3 CaRT expend much money and effort to ensure a water supply for this "cruising season".

So here is my "common sense" solution.....

Basic licence fee covers unrestricted Off Peak use of system.

Any boat cruising in peak period (Easter and summer school holidays) pays £200 per week "congestion charge".

During this period CC'ers who do not choose to pay are required to permanently moor on 14 day moorings except for essential trips to get water etc.

And it's easy to enforce too.

Mooring wardens and other CaRT staff, plus a few "summer students" are located at the top 30 hot spots on the system and record boat index numbers and check on-line against record of congestion charge payments!

This will be a net positive income for CaRT and will also reduce infrastructure required to maintain water supply.

.......Dave (tin hat pop corn and a smile etc etc )

"Bitter and Twisted Hobby boater wants CaRT to penalise ME because HE CHOOSES not to use HIS boat very much."

First some facts:

1 With only a few exceptions it is NOT CC'ers who cause congestion on the waterways.

2 Congestion is because 30,000 marina based leisure boats all go cruising in July, August and Easter.

3 CaRT expend much money and effort to ensure a water supply for this "cruising season".

Any boat cruising in peak period (Easter and summer school holidays) pays £200 per week "congestion charge".

During this period CC'ers who do not choose to pay are required to permanently moor on 14 day moorings except for essential trips to get water etc.

Mooring wardens and other CaRT staff, plus a few "summer students" are located at the top 30 hot spots on the system and record boat index numbers and check on-line against record of congestion charge payments!

This will be a net positive income for CaRT and will also reduce infrastructure required to maintain water supply.

Lol

CC'ers dont cause congestion thats true.....mainly due to the fact that most of them are nailed to the towpath!

We were cruising in July-Sept last year.......the only place we found queues for locks was on the T & M.....a few places were a bit tricky to moor...It has to be said that quite a few of the boats already moored where it would have been nice to stop looked like they had been there for a while judging by the accumulated stuff surrounding them!

Stands back and awaits firework display.......

Cheers

Gareth

First some facts:

What a great idea!

It will leave the cut totally empty for all those nice hard done to anglers.

First some facts:

Which is the thread that you speak of sir?

First some facts:

:D That's class & great can i nick it, very B)

How about looking at the way charging is done on other countries waterways?

The Irish method of charging.

Boat registration is free (no licence).

Third party insurance and self certified boat safety requirements.

Charges for each use of facilities, lock or swing bridge. This is done by smart card on the mechanised Shannon-Erne Waterway.

Visitor moorings free for specified time, no return within specified time, after this chargeable.

For the Grand/Barrow Line/Barrow/Royal (manual, can be self operated locks) a combined lock and mooring permit is available enabling you to moor in any one place for 5 days. An extended lock and mooring permit is also available for boaters that want to moor in one place for more than 5 days at a time on these waterways.

There is a similar pay per use system in The Netherlands.

Putting to one side any analysis of your proposed solution, (and taking your suggestion at face value), if the 'rules' were to be changed then it would require change to the laws, by Parlaiment. It has already been clearly indicated that there's a very low likelihood of Parlaimentary time for this to occur.

Also, IF the laws were to be changed, I can imagine a proportion of boaters/C&RT possibly/others will be seeking a much more radical shake up of the rules than they are now, and that genuine CCers might be much worse off than they are now. A case of "be careful what you wish for".