Survey disgrace

chubby

Featured Posts

Hello

I've been receiving some very helpful advice on here as I'm looking to buy my first narrowboat so Thankyou to all who helped on a previous question " private sale advice ".

I had the boat surveyed and was not happy with the results and decided to not proceed.

However the vendor has been in contact with the surveyor and has the results of the report . He has even amended his ad on eBay to say so so that other potential buyers can save money .

It's called Mr Sweep -A 55 ft semi trad . it's also on apolloduck but I'm unsure if that. Ads been changed .

I've been I touch with the surveyor to tell him of this situation and that it's not acceptable . Infact i think my neigbours might even know im far from pleased ! So if anyone wants the name of this surveyor in case they are thinking of looking at this boat then leave a message on here with your number and I'llbe I touch .

The vendor bought it without a survey but now seems to have one for free !!

All part of the learning curve .... The search continues .

Chubby

Hello

I've been receiving some very helpful advice on here as I'm looking to buy my first narrowboat so Thankyou to all who helped on a previous question " private sale advice ".

I had the boat surveyed and was not happy with the results and decided to not proceed.

However the vendor has been in contact with the surveyor and has the results of the report . He has even amended his ad on eBay to say so so that other potential buyers can save money .

It's called Mr Sweep -A 55 ft semi trad . it's also on apolloduck but I'm unsure if that. Ads been changed .

I've been I touch with the surveyor to tell him of this situation and that it's not acceptable . Infact i think my neigbours might even know im far from pleased ! So if anyone wants the name of this surveyor in case they are thinking of looking at this boat then leave a message on here with your number and I'llbe I touch .

Chubby

If you paid for the survey it belongs to you. Ask the surveyor what the f*** is going on

Do you know the vendor has a copy of the survey, or has the surveyor just given him an overview of why you did not proceed - which would be polite.

Also, do you know that the vendor hasn't paid the surveyor for a copy of the survey, he may have commisioned a survey at a reduced cost with the results already available??

I agree it's not particularly good, but at least you have not proceeded with a boat that would have been wrong, or expensive for you.

Hello

Chubby

Was this for sale in March?

Hello

The boat s for sale in March in Cambridgeshire - but will probably be for sale still in March as I the month . I've been onto the surveyor who says its not true that the vendor has the report . I hope not as I don't even have one yet !

The advice I received on another thread was to walk if it anything seemed dodgy - even slightly and this is how my instincts would work anyway . So that's what I've done .

No hum .....

Hello

The boat s for sale in March in Cambridgeshire - but will probably be for sale still in March as I the month . I've been onto the surveyor who says its not true that the vendor has the report . I hope not as I don't even have one yet !

The advice I received on another thread was to walk if it anything seemed dodgy - even slightly and this is how my instincts would work anyway . So that's what I've done .

No hum .....

This boat is owned by the same chap that owns the digger that had a go at Wandering Snail

Hi

The boats owned by someone in March but as far as I'm aware has nothing to do with Fox boats . That was where the survey was done but they don't own it .

I spoke to the surveyor , who contacted the vendor ( which is already a bit wrong and proves contact between them ). The vendor called me and offered a paltry sum for " compensation " . He described it as such as he is to actually " buy " his copy from the surveyor .

When I spoke to the surveyor this morning he told me he.could only sell the vendor a copy if he had my permission - which I refused . But it seems he's going to sell a copy anyway .........

Chubby

Can I just add that in my dealings with fox boats prior to the survey they seemed very nice and veryhelpful . I'd hate for anyone to infer anything otherwise .

Cheers

Chubby

Hello

In response to the link provided ..... A penny has just dropped !

The vendors ID / name on eBay is something like " russianmilitary " etc - weird .

Is there a suggestion that the guy selling the boat is the guy who OWNS fox boatyard ??

When I viewed the boat it was not at the yard .

The vendors name is Richard Moore

Cheers

Chubby

Hello

The vendors ID / name on eBay is something like " russianmilitary " etc - weird .

Is there a suggestion that the guy selling the boat is the guy who OWNS fox boatyard ??

Cheers

Chubby

No, but he does have a SCUD missile and launcher......

Hello

Cheers

Chubby

He owns the moorings the other side of the town

Hello again

I seem to have added my " that's good to know " moments after the scud missile revelations .

Just to be sure there's no misunderstanding . I'm glad he doesn't own a boatyard . I had a pretty heated discussion with the vendor however and now I find out he has soviet era missiles in his garden ........

Hi Ditchcrawler

That's right . That's where I viewed the boat just outside the town

Cheers

I would be very annoyed if a surveyor treated me in this fashion. The contract is between you and the surveyor, and I would be looking to see if some kind of confidentiality law had been broken.

Hello

Chubby

I'm afraid this is the same man who's JCB hit Snail so not surprised at this. Ah, just seen previous post has beaten me to it!

Fox's in March often have boats for sale so may be worth asking there and they are to be trusted!

Edited by wandering snail

He owns the moorings the other side of the town

Oh has he now finally got planning permission?

Hello again

I seem to have added my " that's good to know " moments after the scud missile revelations .

Just to be sure there's no misunderstanding . I'm glad he doesn't own a boatyard . I had a pretty heated discussion with the vendor however and now I find out he has soviet era missiles in his garden ........

Mm, he does do 'heated'.

Ok

So having spoken with someone from the YDSA who regulate ( ie protect the interests of ) surveyors they have informed me its entirely normal for a surveyor to divulge ( verbally ) the results of a survey to a vendor .

I found this a bit surprising to say the least .

So that's that then it would appear . I lose and the boat owner , mooring owner and surveyor win .

Never mind ...... Onwards

Cheers , chubby

As I stated

...... or has the surveyor just given him an overview of why you did not proceed - which would be polite.

You don't lose, you wisely invested money that has meant you don't buy a boat that is unsound or needs a lot of money spending on it.

The Owner doesn't win, he has lost his sale -and by having the outline of the faults, can now either rectify, or drops the price and changes the ad accordingly. The fact that he appears to be a bit of a mouthy git and to$$er is incidental - he would have been that whether you came along or not.

Matty s

You're right of course I havent lost really . I wanted to buy it but he wouldn't lower his price despite the issues highlighted in the survey.

The seller even texted me to see if I wanted to buy it from him after he'd rectified the problems on the survey that I'd paid for - at a higher price of course .

What a tool !

Anyway ........

Cheers

Chubby

Matty s

You're right of course I havent lost really . I wanted to buy it but he wouldn't lower his price despite the issues highlighted in the survey.

The seller even texted me to see if I wanted to buy it from him after he'd rectified the problems on the survey that I'd paid for - at a higher price of course .

What a tool !

Anyway ........

Cheers

Chubby

What problems were highlighted on the survey? It might help someone here to avoid it, or even to buy it?

The seller can't be too concerned about what was in the survey if he is prepared to provide a copy to potential buyers?

As you agree, you have lost nothing, so don't really have any axe to grind. In addition, if a surveyor tells a seller what's wrong, it gives the seller a chance to rectify stuff for another buyer.

Good luck with your search!

Only problem I can see now is if the seller buys a copy of the survey, doesn't do said works although says to new prospective purchasers that he has (paints over pits, hides dodgy electrics etc).

Also tells them, here's the latest survey, no point spending your own money.....

I think it is ethically wrong for a paid surveyor to provide information in this way to a third party (without consent.) It is the business of the surveyor and the person footing the bill, and nobody else. The prospective buyer doesn't need to state his or her reasons for walking away. A surveyor I once used felt very strongly about this, and would never disclose survey results to the seller. IIRC I signed to something to this effect on the terms and conditions. If the seller is unsure what is wrong with his/her boat then they can always get it surveyed by a professional.

I would be livid if this stunt was pulled on me.

I think it is ethically wrong for a paid surveyor to provide information in this way to a third party (without consent.) It is the business of the surveyor and the person footing the bill, and nobody else. The prospective buyer doesn't need to state his or her reasons for walking away. A surveyor I once used felt very strongly about this, and would never disclose survey results to the seller. IIRC I signed to something to this effect on the terms and conditions. If the seller is unsure what is wrong with his/her boat then they can always get it surveyed by a professional.

I would be livid if this stunt was pulled on me.

I agree, i can only relate an incident when i sold a house a few years ago, the buyers surveyor turned up to do the survey and went about his business in my house, at the end, I asked if there were any problems, and he very politely but firmly

told me he was acting on behalf of the buyer and couldn't discuss this with me at all. The sale went through so I assume the house wasn't about to fall down...

I would assume any boat surveyor would abide by the same professional standard.