Survey disgrace

chubby

Featured Posts

Hello

Just a brief last word before I do calli it a day . Firstly - Thankyou for everyone's comments and advice . Even the comments about stopping the surveyors cheque that made me think twice . I've paid the fee as agreed . Two wrongs don't make a right.

Simply put my understanding was that the info was for me . To be discussed only with me . Surveyor told me he could only provide a copy of the report to others if I gave my consent . These were his words - not my assumptions. The info was passed on , the seller stated that he had a written report that I'd paid for , then seemed to change his mind .

I pulled out of the sale because

A) the cost of purchase plus work was not worthwhile &

B) the " relationship" between.seller & surveyor seemed suspect and I believed the surveyors

Opinion was compromised - so I walked and was annoyed by the circumstances as I wanted yo buy the boat but alarm bells rang and I couldn't trust the surveyor .

JULYNIAN I'm not a cheapskate . Like most people I work very hard got what

little I've got and when I do my work I'm entirely straight in my dealings .

When I deal with others I think I'm entitled to receive the same . If a contract

states " for the client only" then that's what I expect .

Anyway . Again thanks for any comments . Anyone who wants the names just pm or text me

Cheers , Chubby

Thats the whole point if my post, you made a deal and got what you wanted.

The report you got was for you the client only as the report for the vendor or any other client would have been for them only. It only has to have a different date to be a different report. Surveyors quite often get asked to do the same survey again, you don't think they'll forget the survey they've already done and go and do it all again do you. The information is clearly going to be the same, he's just struck lucky he can sell that information twice.

I used to be a taxi driver, if i dropped a fare off on Sesame St and was lucky enough to pick another fare in Sesame St thats lucky and I'll make extra money as I don't waste money and time driving across town to to pick up the next fare. do you think the first fare would be entitled to some money back because of this do you?

If you use a surveyor again ring around for quotes, you might find that a surveyor has already surveyed a boat you want him to look at, if so he'll probably survey it for a good price as he'll make good money and won't have to do all the work again, just a quick visit to see if anything obvoius has changed. All the measurments he made previously regarding hull thickness would be the same in a reasonable time scale.

ETA

So if he did that then the new report would be for you the client only even though he gleaned the majority of information from someone elses survey.

Edited by Julynian

I was minded not to contribute. However, the evidence that the OP has is either what has been seen in the Internet ads or what the seller told him. It isn't beyond the possibility that the seller has been a shade liberal with the facts and the surveyor completely above board.

The OP seems to have no hard evidence of the fact that the seller has actually obtained a copy of the report from the OP's surveyor. It may be (but is probably unlikely) that the seller arranged his own survey (with a different surveyor) whilst the boat as out of the water or, as has been mentioned above, the seller decided to engage the same surveyor once he established that the OP was no longer interested. It wouldn't necessarily be beyond a seller to say things that weren't 100% accurate or to save the cost of taking the boat out of the water (a second time). Unfortunately there are some souls who could be takien in by the thought of a survey being available and not question the accuracy of same - you can do wonders with photo-copiers and scanning software!

Whilst I appreciate that the surveyor's subsequent contact with the OP appears unprofessional, the details we have are from one side of the (whole) story only and we'd need to hear all three sides to be able to make a reasoned judgement.

If the OP feels aggrieved I suggest that he contacts the surveyor's professional body and tells them the story. He may or may not be the first to "report" a particular individual but after the second or third report the institution may then delve deeper even if they apparently do nothing this time.

I was minded not to contribute. However, the evidence that the OP has is either what has been seen in the Internet ads or what the seller told him. It isn't beyond the possibility that the seller has been a shade liberal with the facts and the surveyor completely above board.

The OP seems to have no hard evidence of the fact that the seller has actually obtained a copy of the report from the OP's surveyor. It may be (but is probably unlikely) that the seller arranged his own survey (with a different surveyor) whilst the boat as out of the water or, as has been mentioned above, the seller decided to engage the same surveyor once he established that the OP was no longer interested. It wouldn't necessarily be beyond a seller to say things that weren't 100% accurate or to save the cost of taking the boat out of the water (a second time). Unfortunately there are some souls who could be takien in by the thought of a survey being available and not question the accuracy of same - you can do wonders with photo-copiers and scanning software!

Whilst I appreciate that the surveyor's subsequent contact with the OP appears unprofessional, the details we have are from one side of the (whole) story only and we'd need to hear all three sides to be able to make a reasoned judgement.

If the OP feels aggrieved I suggest that he contacts the surveyor's professional body and tells them the story. He may or may not be the first to "report" a particular individual but after the second or third report the institution may then delve deeper even if they apparently do nothing this time.

Also the OP seems to have made many assumptions as in tthe vendor getting a free survey, how would he know tthis, I'm quite sure the surveyot would have charged for a separate report.

Also the If complaining to any professional body you need a bit more evidence than mere assumption.

Edited by Julynian