Problems at Apperley Bridge

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

All they need is an identical crane. The crane which fell over weighs 64 tonnes GVW and has a lifting capacity of 90 tonnes. All they need now is to strategical place it somewhere without it falling in too. :help: :help: :help: :help:

Shame I didnt know sooner as I was in Apperley Bridge today.

All they need is an identical crane. The crane which fell over weighs 64 tonnes GVW and has a lifting capacity of 90 tonnes. All they need now is to strategical place it somewhere without it falling in too. :help: :help: :help: :help:

Shame I didnt know sooner as I was in Apperley Bridge today.

That lifting capacity will only be very close alongside the crane. Whatever they use will need to be well back from the edge, so they'll probably need a much bigger crane....

Tim

What is bizarre here is that he must have driven this past the locks and to be honest there is only towpath up to the riding centre from then on so heaven knows what he was doing there.

I know that the gates are due for replacement this winter but surely if this vehicle had been there to lift the gates and then was trying to turn round he could have reversed out the same way as he came in.

I wouldn't like to be the insurance company at this moment in time.

just looking at a few different photos of the area, and a look on Google Earth - and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go that way! The crane was well passed the locks that are under repair!

I have also noticed that the crane has tumbled over at the location of a repair/crossing. Either side of the crane is sound tarmac, but the crane has gone in at a spot that is an obvious repair (or towpath crossing). The towpath has a stone surface at that particular location.

This has got me wondering what sort of retaining edge was in place - if any at all?

Once past the retaining concrete of the wharf (heading west) its a very crumbly canal side, as is a lot of the L&LC on this section. I have no idea what he'd be doing there, maybe he was turning round.

I've just been up for a look. This is the route the crane took..

apperley_zps62bc88a5.jpg

And by the looks of things, once it was on the towpath was planning on reversing a little bit to get to the yard area.

Just had a look at the towpath edging in that area, and what the person who gave it the go ahead was thinking, I'll never know. There's about 1 inch of gravel laid on top of a crumbling towpath.

I've just been up for a look. This is the route the crane took..

apperley_zps62bc88a5.jpg

And by the looks of things, once it was on the towpath was planning on reversing a little bit to get to the yard area.

Just had a look at the towpath edging in that area, and what the person who gave it the go ahead was thinking, I'll never know. There's about 1 inch of gravel laid on top of a crumbling towpath.

did it knock over all those trees too??

I've just had a thought whilst out milking the chickens, maybe this is a spot where a boat or several boats have moored for some time, and run their engines in gear whilst moored up, in the mistaken belief that it stops their engines glazing up when charging their batteries. Doing this totally wreaks the wash wall and causes precisely this sort of failure. There are some classic example around the canal system of this hooliganism. The worse ones I know of are at Ashton opposite Portland St Warehouse. People should be shot for doing this to our canals.

--

cheers Ian Mac

I've just been and had a look and had a chat with the crane company engineer who was figuring out how to recover the crane. The driver apparently got to the end of the specially created access road, mounted the towpath preparing to reverse and realised the bank was giving way, he left the vehicle and tried to strap it to a tree to stop it toppling into the canal, but it went over anyway. It was to be used for replacing lockgates at Dobson's. They will get a 500 ton lift capacity crane into a nearby field and get it out this week. The engineer said: "they always give me the chewy problems".

Pics taken at Dobson's Lock