Problems at Apperley Bridge

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Up top, Barnoldswick. They say its easier going down hill......gulp......

Nah that's rubbish :P - Watch out for the bywash coming out of Greenberfield bottom lock if its been raining!

Then you have the swing bridges after Skipton that take three people to open :rolleyes:

Nah that's rubbish :P - Watch out for the bywash coming out of Greenberfield bottom lock if its been raining!

Then you have the swing bridges after Skipton that take three people to open :rolleyes:

Greenberfield Bottom isn't normally an issue going down as it takes you around the natural bend of the canal. If it is windy though, prepare the bottom lock before you leave the middle locks and go reasonably quickly between the two.

Which swing bridges take 3 people?

Greenberfield Bottom isn't normally an issue going down as it takes you around the natural bend of the canal. If it is windy though, prepare the bottom lock before you leave the middle locks and go reasonably quickly between the two.

Which swing bridges take 3 people?

I admit its probably worse going up into Greenberfield bottom lock but was making the point the bywash cross current can be vicious even when allowing for it.

I reported the two worst swing bridges late last year so they may now have been fixed but they were just west of Silsden and another somewhere between there and Riddlesden. The Silsden one had myself and two younger guys on it, but wear + thick mud on the runners made it initially impossible to move.

Admittedly I was single handing but another I had to tow open (and closed) with full power from engine.

We have just come up Dobsons Locks, locked through by two lock keepers,one of whom is Barry from Bingley. Equipment still being moved from around the lock area and barriers still in place so lots of activity still.

Lovely morning. Happy Easter to all.

Val

We have just come up Dobsons Locks, locked through by two lock keepers,one of whom is Barry from Bingley. Equipment still being moved from around the lock area and barriers still in place so lots of activity still.

Lovely morning. Happy Easter to all.

Val

Thanks for that.

Hope the work near Victoria Mill in Burnley is completed as well.

The Thursday before last a section between Sandygate and Westgate bridges was drained and the third party sewer the canal was leaking into had been excavated. Repairs were on schedule for completion by Easter, with the drained section due to be re-watered by 4pm today.