Problems at Apperley Bridge

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

I've just been and had a look and had a chat with the crane company engineer who was figuring out how to recover the crane. The driver apparently got to the end of the specially created access road, mounted the towpath preparing to reverse and realised the bank was giving way, he left the vehicle and tried to strap it to a tree to stop it toppling into the canal, but it went over anyway. It was to be used for replacing lockgates at Dobson's. They will get a 500 ton lift capacity crane into a nearby field and get it out this week. The engineer said: "they always give me the chewy problems".

Does this imply that the 'specially created access road' hadn't included the necessary space for manoeuvring?

Tim

Does this imply that the 'specially created access road' hadn't included the necessary space for manoeuvring?

Tim

Yep, if you look at my pic of the roadway it ends to the left of the frame, the land falls away so they couldn't create a 'space' even if they wanted. It looks very unsuitable for a heavy vehicle so someones site assessment was very poor. Presumably 100 years ago they would have created a huge temporary crane over the lockgate to remove the gates.

Yep, if you look at my pic of the roadway it ends to the left of the frame, the land falls away so they couldn't create a 'space' even if they wanted. It looks very unsuitable for a heavy vehicle so someones site assessment was very poor. Presumably 100 years ago they would have created a huge temporary crane over the lockgate to remove the gates.

See the 'Oops!' thread, around post nos 26/27

Tim

Edited by Timleech

• 3 weeks later...

The crane is still in the canal at Apperley Bridge and canal now drained

If you copy and paste this attachment its from the local paper

www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/10247844.Crane_high_and_dry_at_Apperley_Bridge_after_Leeds_Liverpool_Canal_drained/

Edited by Titus

By'eck, do I understand you right, they're not doing t lock now till t 28th march!!!!! Is that right?

This is the latest from Waterscape:

Dowley Gap Locks 20 & 21 and Dowley Gap Aqueduct, including Bingley Five and Three Rises

Thursday 3 January 2013 - Thursday 28 March 2013 UPDATE (26 February 2013): Repair work at this site is expected to be complete by 28th March.

----------------------------------------------------

Stoppage history:

UPDATE (18 February 2013): Repair Work is is expected to over run at this site due to ongoing issues.

a further update will be issued on 25.02.2013

----------------------------------------------------

Replacement of middle and bottom gates and leak repair works to Dowley Gap Aqueduct.

Please be advised that bookings for Bingley Five Rise and Bingley Three Rise will not be available during these works.

Nearest upstream winding: Bridge 199

Nearest downstream winding: Bridge 207b and Bridge 207c

Enquiries: 03030 404040

and this

Apperley Bridge Gates

Thursday 3 January 2013 - Thursday 28 March 2013 UPDATE (27 February 2013): due to on going issues at this site the work now is expected to be complete by 28th March.

Edited by by'eck

Ah well, so be it, sit and wait. Thanks by'eck.

Yes will be joining the queue soon.

Looking on the bright side you won't have to give 72 hours notice for Bingley five/three rises.

Summer opening times start on 11th March - no booking - first passage 8am, last 5pm. Open Saturday & Sunday as well (as I understand it).

Same for Field Lock.

Well just got back from the "crash" site and it's true, a bollock has been dropped. It's like an episode of CSI. I wish I could upload photos for everyone to see, especially the ones of the polythene sheeting holding the mighty LL at bay. And the security guard in charge of the pump which controls the level of water at bay. In my opinion, and I'm no expert, things there are hanging on by a thread. Not to mention the absence of a tow path where they've excavated a huge hole in it. They are intending to "roll" the upside down crane out through the hole. Genius. I doubt very much the dry stone embankment that has stood for just a few hundred years will be put back. According to the "engineer" they're blocking the hole/towpath back up using the modern building technique of pilings and tarmac. To cap it off they havent replaced the gates and still intend to do so. He said 7 to 8 weeks!!!!!!!!!and I wouldn't be surprised if it took that long. East along the LL from there, at Kirkstall, the knock on effect can be seen due to there been hardley no water and all the moored boats been sat on the mud! On the positive side we saw a stoat/weasel catch a toad twice it's size and proceed to drag it off under a root for quite a sizeable lunch. An interesting spectacle.

you will find that CRT have used their tried and tested method of building a dam across the canal. They have put a complex scaffold structure across the canal to support a (very heavy duty) plastic sheet that keeps the water out - but only to a certain extent, so they have to pump out the stuff that does get past! I am not sure if they have used a clay bund too in this instance. This has been found to work quite well all over the system.

The towpath has been diverted onto the other side of the canal at the crash site, and a very expensive elevated footpath has been provided. (God knows how much that cost, but someone will be paying for it!)

I have heard (2nd hand) that they are going to use two cranes to lift/roll it, one at each end, but I don't know the details just yet! When they do, it will roll into the hole that they have just dug, and then they will have to manoever (?) it out from there!

Then all there is to do is to is fill the hole in! I can see the benefit of piling across the excavation and then backfilling the hole! It will be much quicker than having to rebuild a stone wall on a new foundation.

I hope someone has time and a camera when all this happens!

you will find that CRT have used their tried and tested method of building a dam across the canal. They have put a complex scaffold structure across the canal to support a (very heavy duty) plastic sheet that keeps the water out - but only to a certain extent, so they have to pump out the stuff that does get past! I am not sure if they have used a clay bund too in this instance. This has been found to work quite well all over the system.

The towpath has been diverted onto the other side of the canal at the crash site, and a very expensive elevated footpath has been provided. (God knows how much that cost, but someone will be paying for it!)

I have heard (2nd hand) that they are going to use two cranes to lift/roll it, one at each end, but I don't know the details just yet! When they do, it will roll into the hole that they have just dug, and then they will have to manoever (?) it out from there!

Then all there is to do is to is fill the hole in! I can see the benefit of piling across the excavation and then backfilling the hole! It will be much quicker than having to rebuild a stone wall on a new foundation.

I hope someone has time and a camera when all this happens!