My boat sounds broken!

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

I'd been cruising for a couple of hours yesterday when I heard a grinding noise from somewhere under my feet. A first I thought the boat was passing over some stones or similar in the canal. But after a few second of the grindy noise there was a Pop! Then the grindy noise got louder. There was no noticeable change in the engine performance or handling of the boat.

I quickly pulled in to the bank and moored up, and had a nosey around in the engine area, but couldn't see anything amiss. As I was losing the light I decided to wait till this morning to have a better look around.

So that's what I've spent this morning doing. Although the pop had sounded like something under pressure popping off, like a pipe disconnecting, there is nothing I can see that's either loose or not connected.

So I tried the engine. It's running fine even at high revs. However when in gear, at anything more than the slowest slow rate, there is a loud uncomfortable sounding rattle when the prop is turning. It's the same in reverse. I took the boat back out of gear and could turn the prop shaft easily by hand with no unusual feeling of resistance. Tried it again in gear, and the loud rattle came back. There wasn't any obvious unusual lateral movement in the prop shaft when it was turning.

Despite the noise, I've obviously still got propulsion, but I don't want to move the boat in case this is a sign that something big is going to go wrong. I can just about commute to work from where I've "broken down" although it's not ideal. I had a new drive plate installed in about 2008, could that have died already? Can anyone suggest what the problem could be and what can be done to identify it and sort it out?

Thanks everyone! :(

I'd been cruising for a couple of hours yesterday when I heard a grinding noise from somewhere under my feet. A first I thought the boat was passing over some stones or similar in the canal. But after a few second of the grindy noise there was a Pop! Then the grindy noise got louder. There was no noticeable change in the engine performance or handling of the boat.

I quickly pulled in to the bank and moored up, and had a nosey around in the engine area, but couldn't see anything amiss. As I was losing the light I decided to wait till this morning to have a better look around.

So that's what I've spent this morning doing. Although the pop had sounded like something under pressure popping off, like a pipe disconnecting, there is nothing I can see that's either loose or not connected.

So I tried the engine. It's running fine even at high revs. However when in gear, at anything more than the slowest slow rate, there is a loud uncomfortable sounding rattle when the prop is turning. It's the same in reverse. I took the boat back out of gear and could turn the prop shaft easily by hand with no unusual feeling of resistance. Tried it again in gear, and the loud rattle came back. There wasn't any obvious unusual lateral movement in the prop shaft when it was turning.

Despite the noise, I've obviously still got propulsion, but I don't want to move the boat in case this is a sign that something big is going to go wrong. I can just about commute to work from where I've "broken down" although it's not ideal. I had a new drive plate installed in about 2008, could that have died already? Can anyone suggest what the problem could be and what can be done to identify it and sort it out?

Could be many things and dependant on what type of drive plate you have fitted could well be a spring from it having come adrift. This initself could soon become a total failure but the real danger is the spring could become jammed in the starter ring gear with unwelcome results. Without actualy being there it is hard to diagnose.

Tim

Before even thinking about gearbox, drive plates etc. First thing. Go down the weedhatch and make sure you haven't picked something like fencing wire.

George ex nb Alton retired

Before even thinking about gearbox, drive plates etc. First thing. Go down the weedhatch and make sure you haven't picked something like fencing wire.

Good thinking - we once did similar but is was 'barbed' fencing wire so be careful.

After checking the prop for fouling you could use a listening stick to locate the noise. An old long screw driver will do for this.

First of all if you have long hair stick a carrier bag secured with an elastic band on your head to contain it as you don't want it getting caught up in the works.

Start the engine and put it into gear and make it make the noise, then just have a listen to determine roughly from where the noise is coming from. Say if the noise seems to be loudest at the back of the engine stick the screwdriver firmly say on the top of the bell housing and jambe your ear on to the handle end, this will amplify the noise, you can now try moving the screwdriver about and listening and the noise should get louder or fainter, ''you know getting warmer then colder then warmer ect'' until you've pin pointed where the noise is loudest. I have an engineers Stethoscope with a probe and amplifier which I sometimes use to do this.

WARNING!!! Be vary vary careful doing this and keep away from revolving pulley's and belts, also the alternator and starter motor cable terminals ect and revolving prop shaft couplings.

The longer the listening stick is the safer.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

Check your engine mountings. Sounds similar to our experience three months ago when we found that the mounting nuts had worked loose - also check the bolts between gearbox and prop, we have had those come loose as well with similar noises once put into gear.

After doing all the above, check the prop shaft coupling nuts are tight, if loose, tighten them and see if that does the trick. Then undo them and uncouple the prop shaft. Run the engine in gear again and see if the noise is still there. If it is, the problem will be engine or gearbox related. If not it will be propshaft, coupling, stern gland, prop related. If the noise is there in gear, but not when run in neutral it's likely to be gearbox or driveplate.

If after all this the noise seems to be engine or gearbox, bit the bullet and take the gearbox off - usually this allows lots of bits of broken metal to fall out of the housing!

Ian

Thanks, everyone. I have a couple of questions.

1. How do I check engine mountings? What am I looking for?

2. What is a prop shaft coupling? Is that where the grease goes in?

3. I have no intention of taking the gearbox off! That will be an entirely last resort and something I will have to pay someone who knows what they're doing, to do. As I'm skint, it's very much a last resort.

4. I thought about checking under the weed hatch but couldn't even loosen the screwy clamp bit today. I tried a little gentle persuasion with a hammer but then chickened out when it became clear it would need more than a few gentle taps, in case I busted something. I don't know if it's rusted, frozen or just really tight, I'll have another go at it and be a bit more brutish!

Hi BSP

Definately check your prop to see if something is caught around it. Your "symptoms" sound very similar to something that happened to us last year on an cruise and it turned out to be a winter coat that was completely jammed around the prop!

One of the first tell tale signs is to look at the wash/water that comes out the back of the boat behind you when you're cruising. Does that look any different? Or is the "wash" coming out at an angle rather than a clean line directly from the back of the boat. ( I hope that makes sense?)

Let us know how it goes!

Lewis

3. I have no intention of taking the gearbox off! That will be an entirely last resort and something I will have to pay someone who knows what they're doing, to do. As I'm skint, it's very much a last resort.

4. I thought about checking under the weed hatch but couldn't even loosen the screwy clamp bit today. I tried a little gentle persuasion with a hammer but then chickened out when it became clear it would need more than a few gentle taps, in case I busted something. I don't know if it's rusted, frozen or just really tight, I'll have another go at it and be a bit more brutish!

I'd squirt some WD40 onto the clamp screw type thread/nut several times and let that soak through. Then apply the hammer with lots of quite small taps, and more WD40 if needed.

After that, one or two serious blows should shift it. If it don't, its time to get ratty and give it a bloody great hiding with a sledgehammer - Basil Fawlty style! :cheers:

You will need a "working" weedhatch in any case for when you are out in the middle of nowhere with a fouled prop so you still need to make this number one job. Don't be afraid of the hammer, they often rust up. At least if it all goes wrong the boat won't sink (unless the hatch is really badly designed:-)

Just be sure and grease the threads on reassembly so you won't have the problem again.

4. A windlass can make a useful lever if you put the square hole in one of the ends of the T on the screwy bit then turn it so it holds when you pull the end of the windlass handle.

(sorry, that is a rubbish description but im sure you can work it out by trial & error)

Your tiller stick can also make a listening stick per Biz's suggestion

Edited by LoneWolf

When ever I've had a fouled prop, almost before anything else, I've noticed the clouds of black smoke from the exhaust as the engine struggles to keep going!

Is that not general or was it just a peculiarity of the boats I was using?

A badly fouled prop can generate so much drag as to make the engine labour hard, making the black smoke, or even stall.

Our friend here may have wire or similar round the blade or shaft which can make a lot of noise but not necessarily a lot of drag.

When ever I've had a fouled prop, almost before anything else, I've noticed the clouds of black smoke from the exhaust as the engine struggles to keep going!

Is that not general or was it just a peculiarity of the boats I was using?

Depends what is around the prop to an extent.

We once also had the remains of a brolly (just the metal bits with a few raggy bits of material that caught on the prop) as well as wire, lots of noise as it scraped around but little drag.

Edited by The Dog House