L.E.D.s are coming

Featured Posts

Well the parcel arrived from Bedazzled today, and I've changed 6 lamps to LEDs without any problems this afternoon. The results are good enough to convince me to dig deep into my pockets and buy two more for the kitchen.

The LED tubes claim to be roughly 3 times as bright as a single fluorescent tube; each of my fittings had two tubes so I have replaced them with one LED tube in each. Originally the fluorescents in my lounge were warm white, but they weren't quite bright enough so I'd changed them to a mid-white. These LEDs are a warm white, similar in colour to my originals which I like, and they are about the same brightness as the pair of mid-white tubes which they replace. I call that a good result. For the kitchen I have ordered the daylight white version.

Another thing to consider is certain LEDs are prone to causing fires as the bulb itself can just go up! Check that the ones you've got have the internal fuses /spike protection or don't leave the, on when you go out!!

I always leave mine on when I go out, it make it look as if someone is on board in the evenings. I hope that are OK but the fittings use to have halegons in them which were very hot.

if you particularly worried about over voltage then a stabilised supply is a lot cheaper than the over-priced voltage regulated devices.

I have yet to have any of the recent type of cheapies fail and as pointed out above the G4/MR16 replacements are about £1 makes the risk worthwhile.

yes, it is better to have the quality units but the price difference is eye watering.

agreed. - when I looked into buying the chips for a proper dc-dc voltage stabliser I realised why the pukka units from bedazzled, puffer parts , baddie etc are so expensive. (and no doubt they would say they use a higher grade LED too)

I've got a mix of proper regulated units and cheapo chinese units all work reliably, none have failed so far

The advantage of the uk suppliers is you can go and see what actual colour the light is and whether the lamps will fit your fittings.

I've done the whole boat and I think they're great. Mix of bedazzled and puffer. Putting some very thin gauzy yellow material around the shades, or loosely over the ceiling lamps provides a very warm light without making them too dim, if you find them too cold.

Good for tunnel light too - done some night cruising just putting one of the table lamps with 2.8W cluster out on the front deck. Loads brighter than the original incandescent spotlight. Not such a problem with voltage drop either.

I always leave mine on when I go out, it make it look as if someone is on board in the evenings. I hope that are OK but the fittings use to have halegons in them which were very hot.

I leave mine on too, I meant if you're using ones from like B&Q to be careful about leaving them on as they may not be properly fused like the 12v ones are. (From bedazzled anyway)

I've done the whole boat and I think they're great. Mix of bedazzled and puffer. Putting some very thin gauzy yellow material around the shades, or loosely over the ceiling lamps provides a very warm light without making them too dim, if you find them too cold.

Good for tunnel light too - done some night cruising just putting one of the table lamps with 2.8W cluster out on the front deck. Loads brighter than the original incandescent spotlight. Not such a problem with voltage drop either.

What are the bulbs like from pufferparts as I was thinking of getting mine from them, they seem to be the best value :cheers:

Keeping Up. We had ten rectangular Vetus type fluorescent twin fittings converted. Three LED strips were put into each fitting by Ian at www.ledlightingconversion.co.uk . It was £18 per unit and after a year we are very pleased. Rest of the boat was converted by Bedazzled. Top man. Excellent service. Cost £106 for a dozen bulbs. We stopped by his place and he came down and tried different bulbs until he got it just right.

All our lights on the boat are fitted with LED bulbs almost all from bedazzled. That was over 4 years ago and they are all working fine. It does make a difference to the power consumption. I can have most of the lights in the boat on for about the same power consumption as just one of the tungsten bulbs that were in some of the fittings originally.

What are the bulbs like from pufferparts as I was thinking of getting mine from them, they seem to be the best value :cheers:

The first LED replacements I bought from puffer and I tend to buy another one or two if I'm passing. good range, various adapters/fittings and 'colours'

If are able to visit then you can see them working. I'd have no hesitation recommending them if you don't fancy gambling on the ebay cheap chinky LEd lamps.