winter moorings

jenlyn

Featured Posts

I agree with part of this post. Most fat narrowboats are pig ugly, I know as I live on one. My main problem with mine is choosing which of the two large and very comfy sofas to sit on wether to just buy a standard double or king size. The four foot long shower I am getting used to even though it only leaves space for one huge cupboard at the side of it, as for the sensible sized kitchen............ ;)

Tim

Mmmm, nice house.

Thanks Jenlyn but I don't want a mooring winter or summer. Cost has nothing to do with it. I bought a boat to travel around.

I see the current initiative, at least in part, as an attempt to make it easier for you to do just that.

I also bought a boat to move about Britain, so I will be giving it my support.

I am partly motivated by the fear that if I don’t, one day, I may not be able to move at all.

It sounds like a contradiction but a sensible mooring structure is surely essential for maximising the potential to move?

It sounds like a contradiction but a sensible mooring structure is surely essential for maximising the potential to move?

A bit of extra mooring relief in winter and only winter gives it a case for a hearing. But, Sueb is only putting forward a principle of CC.

Edited by Higgs

Thanks Jenlyn but I don't want a mooring winter or summer. Cost has nothing to do with it. I bought a boat to travel around.

Your choice, others are entitled to a choice as well. David fletcher attended the meeting with CRT also. I guess he made his choice?

Your choice, others are entitled to a choice as well. David fletcher attended the meeting with CRT also. I guess he made his choice?

Agreed just stating my choice. Boaters come with very many different views, which is why it is impossible to please everyone. But good luck trying

I have been looking at ways of making winter moorings more affordable for livaboards on the cut. Basically just sounding boaters out at meetings and along the towpath. Also discussing it at length with cotswoldwoman. Now I need some input and possibly pointers from this forum, giving me a broader response.

My idea is to increase a cc license fee by lets say £100 per year, thus giving CART the advantage of a regular guaranteed income. In return, ccers get winter moorings on the designated sights.

A possible 4400 cc licenses would result in an income of say £440, 000. A saving in administration and lesser need for winter patrols by CRT.

Advantage to ccers, saving on fuel and affordable winter mooring with no hassle.

The increase figure is only my example, though for it to work, this figure really does need to be affordable, ie for monthly license fee payers.

What are your thoughts?

Sorry if my question seems naive but if I was a CC and couldn't move due to ice for example then surely its OK for me to stay put without the need of a winter mooring.

Then when I can move I have to move ten miles before I can stay put again for up to two weeks.

Please understand I am not trying to be argumentative or anything of the sort I genuinely don't know how all this works yet as I am not living aboard as a CC yet.

Sorry if my question seems naive but if I was a CC and couldn't move due to ice for example then surely its OK for me to stay put without the need of a winter mooring.

Then when I can move I have to move ten miles before I can stay put again for up to two weeks.

You may be aware that the subject is one of the most popular for discussion.

Based on what you have said, I'd say you will not have any problems or collect any tickets.

A phone call to C&RT in Nov..."hello....I am on canal X....and I'd like a winter mooring...do you have anything in the area...it's getting a little icy now and I think I might end up getting frozen in...?"

C&RT person..."Yes, just checked our database and we have some near you. It's the same price countrywide, so just go park your boat, and send us proof of payment via email today.".

boater..."Thanks,,great service...I love you C&RT".

TADAAAAA!

A phone call to C&RT in Nov..."hello....I am on canal X....and I'd like a winter mooring...do you have anything in the area...it's getting a little icy now and I think I might end up getting frozen in...?"

C&RT person..."Yes, just checked our database and we have some near you. It's the same price countrywide, so just go park your boat, and send us proof of payment via email today.".

TADAAAAA!

Oh, give over Dean, as if a good idea that is as simple and straight forward as that would happen.... ;)

TADAAAAA!

Oh hang on sir - I just noticed you have a widebeam - you need to double the number I just gave you! :lol:

Please understand I am not trying to be argumentative or anything of the sort I genuinely don't know how all this works yet as I am not living aboard as a CC yet.

I don't see why you have to move 10 miles. You just have to move to another place. Keep moving every 14 days and you will be fine. Personally we don't usually wait 14 days

Ummh. in essence another wide beam ccer who dosnt like continuous cruising expecially in bad weather, but dosnt want to face up and pay the going rate for for a suitabe mooring, Folks i know pay @ 500 for 5 months winter moorings,,

I can assume that this varys in diferent places,

In short if you dnt want to CC pay for a mooring or rent a flat...

Ummh. in essence another wide beam ccer who dosnt like continuous cruising expecially in bad weather, but dosnt want to face up and pay the going rate for for a suitabe mooring, Folks i know pay @ 500 for 5 months winter moorings,,

Got your boat beyond having it towed everywhere yet?

In fairness it aint only widebeam ccers who er dont cc. Far more narrowboats continuously moor to dodge paying than widebeams. I do agree with you though, its quite simple cruise extensively or get a mooring but that will be argued by non payers until the cows come home.

Tim

I love continuous cruising.

I love travelling in bad weather.

I pay for a permanent residential mooring with council tax too and dont plan on giving it up.

Perhaps some of my hypothetical comments confused you :)

Just clarifying that in case your comments were directed my way :)

i see that various suggestions have been made for charges for winter moorings.

Do people debate what they should be charged for council tax?

I wish they did as ours goes up ever year for less, latest ruse is that we will now have 3 bins with one collected weekly and one every other week to save money. Now the lights will go off between 12 and 530 to save electricity apart from the new bulbs that are needed cost more than we will save. The sooner I get on the boat the better .