Alarm system on canal boats

Tomm

Featured Posts

Can anyone reccomend an alarm system for my canal boat. Does the motion of the boat sometimes trigger the alarm? Any advise appriciated.

I bought one of these from china.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRI-Band-Wireless-Autodial-Mobile-GSM-SMS-Burglar-Home-House-Alarm-System-19zone-/350647487839?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item51a4380d5f

They sent me 3 and it's ment to call my phone when it sets off but dosn't maybe I don't have it set up right. Never had any problems with it tripping off.

The biggest problem you'll find with all of them is the current draw. Many are designed for cars where the engine is run every couple of days to re-charge the battery. If you're in a marina on mains power or a live aboard then this may not be an issue, but it will be for many boaters. Many of the GSM based systems draw 20 - 30ma (due to keeping the receiver on permenently) and this will flatten a battery bank in a couple of weeks and require many hours of charging to recharge. The GPS ones are even worse.

It is possible to design a GSM boat alarm with the quiescent current in the pa region. As an electronics engineer that's what I've done for my own usage.

I have one of these http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/info_PROTEXT.html and I don't have any power issues. It will send me a text message if anyone breaks in to the boat (switches on all entrances) and has the ability to switch lights or heating on. All triggered by text message.

My solar panels take care of the power requirements and although the unit comes with an internal aerial an extenal one is available if you are in a weak signal area.

Dave

I have one that I made using an old Nokia phone and a standard household alarm...

It works fine...but I prefer to leave it in 'make hell of a noise' mode..and I don't use the ..'Phone me up'..mode..unless I am a few minutes from the boat..

It only tripped once ..by accident last year (wife left a towel in front of sensor)..but I found it a pain.

We often go some distance to explore local towns..on the bus..

It went off...and there wouldn't have been a thing I could do about it other than call the police. I 'listened in'..but couldn't hear anything on the boat...so I didn't want to waste police time....so didn't call them.I also realised..that if I did call them..I wouldn't really be able to describe where the boat was...

It occurred to me..that if someone breaks in...they break in...and the huge noise...was the best alternative...bigger noise..the better...

Edited by Bobbybass
  • Greenie 1

I have one that I made using an old Nokia phone and a standard household alarm...

It works fine...but I prefer to leave it in 'make hell of a noise' mode..and I don't use the ..'Phone me up'..mode..unless I am a few minutes from the boat..

It only tripped once ..by accident last year (wife left a towel in front of sensor)..but I found it a pain.

We often go some distance to explore local towns..on the bus..

It went off...and there wouldn't have been a thing I could do about it other than call the police. I 'listened in'..but couldn't hear anything on the boat...so I didn't want to waste police time....so didn't call them.I also realised..that if I did call them..I wouldn't really be able to describe where the boat was...

It occurred to me..that if someone breaks in...they break in...and the huge noise...was the best alternative...bigger noise..the better...

But what's the power usage of the alarm system.

But what's the power usage of the alarm system.

The sensors are all wireless and powered by PP3 9 volt batteries..

The batteries last a whole summer.

The main alarm unit...I put my meter inline..and its about 50ma on standby...when 'watching'..

When activated..I have three warblers..and the whole lot draws about 400ma (under half amp hour)

How often have you walked past a car (or a house/shop for that matter) with its alarm blaring out.

What did you do?

I think..maybe..that's what I was trying to say..

If it makes a load of noise....nobody takes any notice..

If it phones you up...and you are 10 miles away in a town...and then you decide to call the police...and try and describe where the boat is....the robbers could have raided the fridge...cooked a three course meal..danced the night away...and then made off with your telly before anyone gets there..!

The biggest problem you'll find with all of them is the current draw. Many are designed for cars where the engine is run every couple of days to re-charge the battery. If you're in a marina on mains power or a live aboard then this may not be an issue, but it will be for many boaters. Many of the GSM based systems draw 20 - 30ma (due to keeping the receiver on permenently) and this will flatten a battery bank in a couple of weeks and require many hours of charging to recharge. The GPS ones are even worse.

It is possible to design a GSM boat alarm with the quiescent current in the pa region. As an electronics engineer that's what I've done for my own usage.

30ma for 24h is 720mah per day.

That'd only use about 22ah per month.

Or did I get that wrong?

If it phones you up...and you are 10 miles away in a town...and then you decide to call the police...and try and describe where the boat is....the robbers could have raided the fridge...cooked a three course meal..danced the night away...and then made off with your telly before anyone gets there..!

Yes, you can eat a lot in 3 days, they would probably give you the crime number over the phone

!

If I hear an alarm go off in the village I go out and investigate, because I know its not the norm, like wise a car alarm. However in the supermarket carpark and I hear an alarm I don't go looking for a car. I think if I heard an alarm on a boat near where I was moored I would investigate.

Maybe I'm odd :captain:

30ma for 24h is 720mah per day.

That'd only use about 22ah per month.

Or did I get that wrong?

The common automotive design standard for total vehicle quiescent current was about 10 ma 12 years ago - it's now usually considerably less. If a car had to spend 1 week at the dock side then 6 weeks on deep sea shipping it wouldn't reliably start at the other end.

Many years ago it was common to have problems at dealerships with cars with charging problems - these almost always could be traced back to aftermarket alarms with quiescent currents in the 20 - 30ma region. If you want to fit one it's up to you - I just know that it's possible to achieve pa quiescents with a bit of design work...

This topic came up quite recently so I asked someone I know who works in the business and the one thing he did suggest is to use blue flashing strobe lights inside the boat linked to the alarm. They disorientate the thief and apparently burgulars hate them as it means you don't know if the police have pulled up outside. He gave me a demo and it's not nice having these things flashing in your face, likewise a piercing alarm again inside the boat, them may well get in but they won't stay long was his principal. All the bits are cheap and easily availably.

i have one of these solar powered and wireless .......

SA3 Friedland Response Wireless Alarm

• 6 Zone LED display Control panel

• Internal sounder within the Response Alarm Control Unit

• Full or Part Arm setup

• Programmable delays

• Connections available to add GSM/SMS Autodiallers

http://www.responseelectronics.com/SA3-Friedland-Response-Wireless-Intruder-Burglar-Alarm-System.html

i have one of these solar powered and wireless .......

SA3 Friedland Response Wireless Alarm

• 6 Zone LED display Control panel

• Internal sounder within the Response Alarm Control Unit

• Full or Part Arm setup

• Programmable delays

• Connections available to add GSM/SMS Autodiallers

http://www.responseelectronics.com/SA3-Friedland-Response-Wireless-Intruder-Burglar-Alarm-System.html

Looks good.

Couple of questions please.

Is the control panel mains or battery?

Presumably you have the siren outside to use the solar charging?

Looks good.

Couple of questions please.

Is the control panel mains or battery?

Presumably you have the siren outside to use the solar charging?

hello alanji,

the controll panel is battery as are all the movement sensors and it tends to last a few years with a duracell.we would allways use the keyring clickers to activate/de activate.i leave mine on the roof weighted down with a piece of lead and some strong wire securing it to the inside of a mushroom vent as i didnt want to start boring holes in the roof.it allso has an anti tamper switch that will activate if the siren box is lifted or moved. paul

hello alanji,

the controll panel is battery as are all the movement sensors and it tends to last a few years with a duracell.we would allways use the keyring clickers to activate/de activate.i leave mine on the roof weighted down with a piece of lead and some strong wire securing it to the inside of a mushroom vent as i didnt want to start boring holes in the roof.it allso has an anti tamper switch that will activate if the siren box is lifted or moved. paul

Thanks Paul. very useful

Alarm goes off if tampered with - do vandals carry earplugs?

Paul - you could use this to secure to boat, unless you need to access the bottom - sugru.com - discussed on another thread on here. Watch the video of its lifting power.

Alarm goes off if tampered with - do vandals carry earplugs?

Paul - you could use this to secure to boat, unless you need to access the bottom - sugru.com - discussed on another thread on here. Watch the video of its lifting power.

yeah! i have seen the thread.might give it a try.it seems like very usefull stuff.