Canal boats and Pennine Way

R and H Australia

Featured Posts

Hi,

We will have one week to combine 2 long held dreams, travelling on a canal boat and seeing the Pennines. Is iit possible to do both? I thought we could hire a boat at Skipton and travel down to Foulridge, stopping at Greenberfield Changeline Bridge to walk in the Pennines. And of course we would then have to return to Skipton to return the boat.

If this is too much for a week are there any suggestions on how to combine the 2?

Hi,

We will have one week to combine 2 long held dreams, travelling on a canal boat and seeing the Pennines. Is iit possible to do both? I thought we could hire a boat at Skipton and travel down to Foulridge, stopping at Greenberfield Changeline Bridge to walk in the Pennines. And of course we would then have to return to Skipton to return the boat.

If this is too much for a week are there any suggestions on how to combine the 2?

Welcome to the forum.

Skipton to Foulridge and back is easily 'do-able' in half a week.

That would leave plenty of time free for walking.

I would be tempted though to do it the other way around.

Canal Boat Escapes (run by a forum member) is based at Barnolddswick not that far from the tunnel - you could enquire about a short break with one of their boats and run from Barnoldswick to Skipton and back and then return the boat to them and go walking or do the walking first and then take short break on a boat.

:cheers:

Edited by The Dog House

Yes, it's a great section of canal and runs right beside the Pennine Way. A very good canalside pub near where the two meet - the Cross Keys at Great Marton. Skipton is a fine small town and has a direct rail connection to the spectacularly scenic Settle - Carlisle railway line which is well worth a day return trip along part of its route. And then there's always a side excursion to the Bingley five-rise locks: too far to comfortably boat to in your time but well worth seeing if you can.

If you can fit all that in during a week you're doing well!

Yes try Canal boat escapes at lower park Marina or pennie cruisers at Skipton or silsden boats at silsden

Canal Boat Escapes, Pennine Cruisers and not forgetting Snaygill Boats just outside Skipton Snaygill would be my choice.

From what I've seen of the Silsden Boats that moor here in Skipton on their way through they never look cared for externally, tired looking, unkempt hulls etc. Cannot say what the interiors are like but the exteriors are less than inspiring.

Roger

Hi,

Skipton to Foulridge, including the tunnel is two days travelling and includes fifteen locks and about five swing bridges. That would take four full days out of your week. If you can manage with just one, max one and a half days walking, that would be just about do-able allowing for contingencies.

Skipton is the jewel in the crown of the Leeds and Liverpool canal being a traditional market town with dozens of good pubs plus a castle.

Your proposed trip would take in probably the most scenic and remote parts of the canal including the summit pound between Barrowford and Greenberfield.

Another hirer of both narrowboats and widebeams is Hapton Valley located at Reedley full service marina, just north of Burnley. This is just a short distance south of the Barrowford lock flight.

Edited by by'eck

Hi,

I've never boated in that area but I've walked the Pennine Way twice so know the area from a walking perspective. The PW crosses the canal at two places, East Marton and again at Gargrave. If you want to actually walk a part of the PW then in my view the best section to walk would be north from Gargrave to Malham, its around 6 miles and after a couple of miles you follow the river Aire all the way into Malham, its a very pleasant stretch and not too hard. From Malham you have the magnificent cove to climb and the tarn after that then onto Fountains Fell..im probably getting carried away now as that would make for a long day if you wanted to circle back to the boat.

East Marton south is a reasonable section of the PW and you can go via Pinhaw Beacon down into Lotherdale and back in a fairly long day.

If you have a look at an OS map Im sure you could make up some nice circular walks to and from Gargrave and East Marton.

Hope that helps

Les

Canal Boat Escapes (run by a forum member) is based at Barnolddswick not that far from the tunnel - you could enquire about a short break with one of their boats and run from Barnoldswick to Skipton and back and then return the boat to them and go walking or do the walking first and then take short break on a boat.

Canal Boat Escapes also do one way hire between Barnoldswick and Hebden Bridge, so you could take a boat one way and walk back. Would take longer than a week, though unless you go pretty hard.

I have a different view. I walked the whole Pennine way and didn't notice any canals. :lol:

I'd say walk or boat. I loved walking it - fantastic and easily the best walk in the UK. The clever way it avoids big-town reality is just brilliant. I hope living on the canals will give me the same feeling.

Canal Boat Escapes also do one way hire between Barnoldswick and Hebden Bridge, so you could take a boat one way and walk back. Would take longer than a week, though unless you go pretty hard.

Alas we have decided to cease this trip. In 2012 the boat only actually made it to Hebden once due to the continual floods and actually got stuck in the navigable cuts twice which led to the customer p*ss off factor.

Sorry folks, we did it for 3 years and those who did the trip loved it.

Shire are still doing it I believe.

Alas we have decided to cease this trip. In 2012 the boat only actually made it to Hebden once due to the continual floods and actually got stuck in the navigable cuts twice which led to the customer p*ss off factor.

Shire Cruisers have a few boats based at Foulridge

Canal Boat Escapes, Pennine Cruisers and not forgetting Snaygill Boats just outside Skipton Snaygill would be my choice.

From what I've seen of the Silsden Boats that moor here in Skipton on their way through they never look cared for externally, tired looking, unkempt hulls etc. Cannot say what the interiors are like but the exteriors are less than inspiring.

Roger

I notice you have a 'thing' about Silsden Boats looking uncared for, you should take a trip down to their moorings at Silsden NOW and see how they look, also they have over 20 boats unlike the other companies 3 or 4 and are out for more weeks in the season than any of the others so "hire boaters" being what they are it is hard to have them all looking shiny and bright like those that spend more time moored up "off Hire" and being painted.

I notice you have a 'thing' about Silsden Boats looking uncared for, you should take a trip down to their moorings at Silsden NOW and see how they look, also they have over 20 boats unlike the other companies 3 or 4 and are out for more weeks in the season than any of the others so "hire boaters" being what they are it is hard to have them all looking shiny and bright like those that spend more time moored up "off Hire" and being painted.

Yes you're right Dalesman but I've an idea why they soon look tired,

after sitting at our mooring and watching SOME (not all) of the hirers they

soon start scraping paint off their boats and sometimes onto ours !!!!!

They come into the concrete side near the bridge opposite our mooring

and bounce back and forward, no matter how good a paint job it's

bound to take it's toll as the weeks progress.

Dave

It is true that Silsden's boats look a bit tired and battered part way through the season, the insides look less so as they are durable if a little basic which is common to a lot of hire boats.

Where they score is

- affordability (or they did when we last hired from them)

- Space - try and find anybody else hiring a wide beam on the L&L

- Berth numbers - we couldn't find another 9-10 berth on the L&L

I suspect without companies like Silsden Boats many people wouldn't be able to get afloat all be it only for a week or two.

Yes you're right Dalesman but I've an idea why they soon look tired,

after sitting at our mooring and watching SOME (not all) of the hirers they

soon start scraping paint off their boats and sometimes onto ours !!!!!

They come into the concrete side near the bridge opposite our mooring

and bounce back and forward, no matter how good a paint job it's

bound to take it's toll as the weeks progress.

Dave

Dave, I do argee with you 100%. As a previous hirer many years ago from Silsden and looking at how they seem to steam past our mooring. The only boats which seem to make me get off my chair and think "bloody hell theyre going too fast" is Silsden boats. The company needs to give more or thorough tuition to hirers.

If I talk to anyone in the Skipton area, its Silsden hire boats which are slated for their reckless speed and lack of tuition.

The boats may look battered, we all know why!

Dave, I do argee with you 100%. As a previous hirer many years ago from Silsden and looking at how they seem to steam past our mooring. The only boats which seem to make me get off my chair and think "bloody hell theyre going too fast" is Silsden boats. The company needs to give more or thorough tuition to hirers.

If I talk to anyone in the Skipton area, its Silsden hire boats which are slated for their reckless speed and lack of tuition.

The boats may look battered, we all know why!

If I painted my boat purple and dark blue and gave it a 'Drum' name I guarantee people would leap up and shout 'slow down' as I approached and passed irrespective of the speed I was actually doing.

The only problem with Silsden's tuition IMHE is how to do the locks, they are miles away from one so rely on a DVD.

From memory they told me how to pass moored boats correctly.

If I painted my boat purple and dark blue and gave it a 'Drum' name I guarantee people would leap up and shout 'slow down' as I approached and passed irrespective of the speed I was actually doing.

The only problem with Silsden's tuition IMHE is how to do the locks, they are miles away from one so rely on a DVD.

From memory they told me how to pass moored boats correctly.

Martin, next time I head down towards Leeds I'll look out for "The Dog House Drum" :lol:

Gosh, fame at last. There's no wonder Bronte Boats were surprised when we got to Hebden - got to say it was touch and go. What a fantastic trip it was, and such a shame it is no longer available. It was our first time on the canals, enjoyed it that much we bought our own boat which is also moored at Lower Park. We keep looking for No Turning Back but presume she is no longer there.

Wendy

Yes, No Turning Back is no longer with Canal Boat Escapes...we had the great job of delivering her back to her owner a while ago. Fabulous boat and fabulous trip!

They have a delightful little two berth boat cruiser stern boat for next season - Rosa~May.

We had the job of bringing her over the Ribble Link from the Lancaster Canal and loved her so much we've booked her for three weeks next year.

Janet

- Space - try and find anybody else hiring a wide beam on the L&L

Hapton Valley boats have wide beams for hire too, although not in the numbers of Silsdens.

I think the problem for silsden is just the number of boats they've got, they are bound to have some numpty crews as well as some pleasent and experienced crews. Unfortunately we tend to remember the numpties.... Lock tuition or lack does seem to be an issue as has been said.

Hapton Valley boats have wide beams for hire too, although not in the numbers of Silsdens.

I think the problem for silsden is just the number of boats they've got, they are bound to have some numpty crews as well as some pleasent and experienced crews. Unfortunately we tend to remember the numpties.... Lock tuition or lack does seem to be an issue as has been said.

I agree.

Hi,

A great choice and, as others have said, plenty of hire firms available there. My first ever narrowboat experience was exactly the route you plan and I took a boat from Silsden. It's probably one of the nicest stretches of canal on the system.

Thanks for the names of companies that hire boats at Foulridge and Skipton, we will follow them up. Also the information on Penine walks was exactly what we were looking for. As this will be our first trip and there are only 2 of us we thought we would get the smallest boat we could find. Is this the way to go? Also is there a site that lists exchanges as we have an older motor home that we would be happy to exchange non-simultaneously.

Just got back to Skipton to see this post after a few days away. To be frank, why should I take a trip to Silsden when I can see them in Skipton all the time in season and not far from their home base. Surely they don't get that tatty in the couple of days that it takes to get here? The only ones that I have seen that have the hulls reasonably blacked and tidy looking are brand new to the fleet. I see the boats out of my window and walking along the towpath daily; sort of like Dalesman, Cobbeydale and their day boats perhaps, although they aren't all hire boats of course? :P

I have been told from an industry insider, although I have no proof of this of course, that it is (Silsden)company policy NOT to black the hulls because it is a waste of time. I couldn't possibly comment. I have no comment on the interiors, only their exterior appearance.

Roger

Edited by Albion