Hope the shroppie hasn't frozen yet!

canalboater2012

Featured Posts

Hope the shroppie ( the north end) by tattenhall hasn't frozen over yet! Iam planning on going out for a cruise to the shady oak tomorrow :-)

I have a story about that. We were on our shared boat (Cropredy) two years ago at the beginning of that weather when we were getting minus 12c at night. We arrived on the Saturday for our week aboard and there the ice was just beginning to form on the surface. Desperate for a cruise we decided to go for a short run to the Shady Oak pub for lunch, but mindful of the freezing weather we didn't stop long and managed to get back to Tattenhall before the ice became too bad.

There was another couple from a shared boat in the pub but they were well away with their drinking and remained there for a considerable time, only to find when they eventually left the pub that their boat was stuck firm in the ice. Now I suppose there are worse places to be stuck than right outside a pub, except for the fact that during the winter it only opened at weekends !

They walked back to the marina the next day and went home. The boat remained stuck there for over 3 weeks and when the thaw came the management company (BCBM) had to retrieve the boat.

So hope you make it to the Shady Oak tomorrow canalboater 2012, or perhaps more importantly I hope you make it back !!!

I think you'll be ok. It has to be very cold for a few more nights for the canals to freeze to the point where you can't move.

Not on the Shroppie but no sign of ice on the W&B, which isn't that far away, at the moment.

I think you'll be ok. It has to be very cold for a few more nights for the canals to freeze to the point where you can't move.

Not on the Shroppie but no sign of ice on the W&B, which isn't that far away, at the moment.

Is the W&B ever close to the Shroppie? ;)

We are further south at Calf Heath and there is a covering of ice this morning. I don't think it is too thick but until it gets light it is hard to tell. We set off one day for a winter cruise down to Stourton and the next morning it was an inch thick and we had to break ice for a very long and noisy trip home - it was a good job she was due to be blacked anyway the next spring

I have read a facebook update to say that it is raining in Calverley this morning. that is much closer to you and I would think if it is raining then ice should not be a problem

Had to break thin ice yesterday for a few miles leaving Curdworth top, but it warmed up overnight last night. Was -2 or so in Brum when we went to bed but well above freezing this morning. Forecast suggests it will stay above zero for the next 2 or 3 nights.

Edited to say: just heard BBC forecast! Ignore my comment about forecasts, they say tonight is going to be very cold, 2 or 3 below even in towns. Shouldn't have believed my phone app!

Edited by trackman

Plenty of ice at Hilmorton today... :mellow: In fact in patches on the north Oxford until a few miles before Sutton stop lock. Knocked some blacking off Percy who is coming home to fradley with us. :rolleyes:

Nev

The Middlewich branch was frozen on Thursday night (we moor on it). I haven't winterised the boat yet, so I went to it after work and ran the engine for a bit, to heat it up and get it safely through the night. When I left the entire canal was frozen, however it was dark and I didn't investigate if it were only a thin covering, or more substantial ice. I imagine its thawed now though.

We tied up near Minshull Lock Thursday night, & broke a thin layer of ice yesterday morning. We had a busy run into Nantwich & then headed north stopping for the night at Calverley due to thick fog.

Set of from Calverley at 6am in the rain, Bunbury staircase was a bit treacherous with ice on the ground and rain on top. We had quite a few customers at the Shady Oak & the sun came out, now tied up in Chester.

Did we pass you today Canalboater2012?

Tomorrow we're heading back to Barbridge.

God, these guy's are good, haven't you figured out yet that there's a couple of posters on here (profile male although in the past womens' names have been used) who seem to have an unusual interest in discussing a certain marina, its environs, local pubs and the brilliant times they had there and not too far from Beeston Castle too. They start a topic ilke about how cold it is (in winter, who'd have thought) get in a bit of PR for the marina and off we all go like they're real contributors.

E.G.

Yes it is cold on the cut but luckily I stocked up on Staybrightmegablackshinycoal from Tattyarse Marina (not to be confused with any similar named marina in Cheshire), which luckily my good friend Canalbooster (aged) 12 and a quarter told me about it on his way to the Happy Hawthorn (kid's eat for free*) to meet his friends (add in the next fake ID Tattyarse Marina uses on CWDF) where we had a wizard time with lashings of ginger beer, then back to Tattyarse Marina where uncle Quintin let us find some Nazi spies and shot them.

*conditions apply, big, small, ugly, noisy, under size or over size kids have to eat from a trough in the car park.

• Greenie 2

No Nb alton I decided not to venture out today but stayed in tattenhall marina. I did pass you last Sunday on the UPF thought you was doing a delivery to a house on side of Canal & I brushed passed you on NB Tiree from braidbar I spoke to the lady at the stern

Ah it was you on Tiree, hope you enjoyed the Peak Forest, my favourite canal.

We're just heading out of Chester & there's a thin layer of ice above Chemistry Lock, so I guess it might be a bit thicker further up.

Cheers, Brian

God, these guy's are good, haven't you figured out yet that there's a couple of posters on here (profile male although in the past womens' names have been used) who seem to have an unusual interest in discussing a certain marina, its environs, local pubs and the brilliant times they had there and not too far from Beeston Castle too. They start a topic ilke about how cold it is (in winter, who'd have thought) get in a bit of PR for the marina and off we all go like they're real contributors.

E.G.

Yes it is cold on the cut but luckily I stocked up on Staybrightmegablackshinycoal from Tattyarse Marina (not to be confused with any similar named marina in Cheshire), which luckily my good friend Canalbooster (aged) 12 and a quarter told me about it on his way to the Happy Hawthorn (kid's eat for free*) to meet his friends (add in the next fake ID Tattyarse Marina uses on CWDF) where we had a wizard time with lashings of ginger beer, then back to Tattyarse Marina where uncle Quintin let us find some Nazi spies and shot them.

*conditions apply, big, small, ugly, noisy, under size or over size kids have to eat from a trough in the car park.

Gosh those Tattenhall Marina folks are cunning & dastardly aren't they. What will they think of next in their plans for world domination ;-)

Had a trip down the Middlewich Branch a couple of weeks ago - no rain and fairly mild, at times beautiful and full of autumn colours which I dare say are mostly gone now for the year. Think I chose a good time to go considering the weather since!

As for the Kinderton Arms, if you mean the pub next to Rumps Lock in Middlewich, it turned into an Indian 7-8 years ago but sadly has been closed and derelict for probably the last 5 or so years. The Kings Lock is decent if you fancy some banter with the locals and a bit of Chas 'n Dave on the jukebox! It's a bit of a 70s timewarp in that place really, s'all good though. (As more of a lager drinker I can't really comment on the ale) For food - might be worth getting a takeaway, I can recommend the Blue Ginger on Wheelock Street.

Edited by Philip

Hi Brian were have you moored tonight? Went up to boat today went for a small cruise up to ShDy oak & back it was bitterly cold. The marina had a thin layer of ice as did parts of the cut.

Hi, we tied up last night above Church Minshull Lock, so that we could get through this morning before CRT started repairs. It was a bit of nippy day & we broke a bit of ice but it was thin. The marina seemed more frozen than the cut when we passes. We got to the Shady at Noon, just as it was opening. Tempting as it was we didn't stop for a swift half as we had to get em ahead. Above Bunbury Staircase we briefly met forum member "Stormbringer?". Then grabbed a quick shower at Calverly before tieing up at Minshull lock about. 6pm. All in all a good days boating & met some lovely people, glad you managed to escape for a potter.