Hope the shroppie hasn't frozen yet!

canalboater2012

Featured Posts

Hi Brian aww I stopped in the car at the Cheshire Cat around 1030 & I spoke to a couple on a boat moored there. They had bought deisel off you.

Glad your on your way through lock were you stopping tonight.

Ah yes that would have been YoYo at the Cheshire Cat.

We're now through Middlewich & will probably stop at The Broken Cross at Rudheath tonight.

We've had heavy showers, sunshine & even rainbows, but thankfully now ice today :-)

Yes that rings a bell yo-yo

Good god you have made progress to be past Middlewich. Wot is the completed works like at croxton?

Is the broken cross still open? Last time I was there it was struggling.

The works at Croxton look fairly good, thought the red gravel towpath looks a bit urban & out of place. We're running light & hit something underwater (possibly part of a fallen tree). We'll have to see how we get on being loaded on our return. We're tied up at Rudheath, would have liked to have gone further but we've run out of stock, so re-loading tomorrow.

The Old Broken Cross was struggling, but has now reopened with new Landlords so we'll try a pint there tonight & see what it's like.

Sorry if I'm boring everyone, this has turned into my "dear diary!".

Cheers, Brian

Had a trip down the Middlewich Branch a couple of weeks ago - no rain and fairly mild, at times beautiful and full of autumn colours which I dare say are mostly gone now for the year. Think I chose a good time to go considering the weather since!

As for the Kinderton Arms, if you mean the pub next to Rumps Lock in Middlewich, it turned into an Indian 7-8 years ago but sadly has been closed and derelict for probably the last 5 or so years. The Kings Lock is decent if you fancy some banter with the locals and a bit of Chas 'n Dave on the jukebox! It's a bit of a 70s timewarp in that place really, s'all good though. (As more of a lager drinker I can't really comment on the ale) For food - might be worth getting a takeaway, I can recommend the Blue Ginger on Wheelock Street.

The Kinderton is now open as a good (in my opinion,) gastro pub, it does have real ales, last visit it was Black Sheep I think, according to SWMBO the Chardonay was nicely chilled and dry. Lots of food, cheap and dear. Excellent beer garden.

The blue ginger is V. good for a takeaway. The Kings lock good boozer, enthusiastic food.

The Badger in Church Minshull is excellent if a bit pricy. Good beers. Usual disclamers.

Mike & Jean.

Slough arm frozen yesterday... not that think though well not thick enough to stop the local fishermen cutting a section for their rods. The water I had left in the bowl was frozen as was a drip from the tap about half a inch long... now drained wate and water heater so should be ready for whatever.... thinking that I should of placed all my bottles of Belgium beer below the waterline - most around 8% but still might affect he taste. Fortunately warmed up since yesterday.

Slough arm frozen yesterday... not that think though well not thick enough to stop the local fishermen cutting a section for their rods. The water I had left in the bowl was frozen as was a drip from the tap about half a inch long... now drained wate and water heater so should be ready for whatever.... thinking that I should of placed all my bottles of Belgium beer below the waterline - most around 8% but still might affect he taste. Fortunately warmed up since yesterday.

Belgian Wheat Beer, 8% abv, antifreeze for humans, if you feel cold just breath out and ignite the fumes.

I'm off to Belgium tomorrow to stock up on Trappist beers. You are correct in saying its excellent human antifreeze. But less than useful if one has to drive a automobile.... unless you want to risk that license.

Saying that most 8% beers just need cooling and not going into a fridge - great on a boat without shoreline. Chimay and St Bernardus are the 'house' beers. So next time you see Salar on the cut say hi and there could be a beer for you - honest.

Edited by roggie

I'm off to Belgium tomorrow to stock up on Trappist beers. You are correct in saying its excellent human antifreeze. But less than useful if one has to drive a automobile.... unless you want to risk that license.

Saying that most 8% beers just need cooling and not going into a fridge - great on a boat without shoreline. Chimay and St Bernardus are the 'house' beers. So next time you see Salar on the cut say hi and there could be a beer for you - honest.

Are any of the beers really made by Trappists, I could ask them but you know, those guys don't say a lot?

It was very shut and boarded up as I approached in frosty conditions on saturday, I had to continue to the. cheshire cheese at wheelock for a pint and they didnt even have pork scratchings!!!!

That'll be the Kinderton Arms at Rumps Lock, which as Philip said closed a few years ago after being an indian restaurant for a bit. The other Kinderton is in Middlewich Town, near Town Bridge.

Your other choice in Wheelock for a good pint is the Commercial Hotel. It a quirky old fashioned place, but I like it. Heading up the Cheshire Locks, the Royal Oak had a decent pint of Landlord & good value food when we tried it last week, also there the Broughton Arms has had a refurb/spruce up & looked popular with diners. Then towards the top you've got the Red Bull a reasonable Robbie's Pub but my choice for beer & scratching would be the Blue Bell at Hardingswood Jn for a great range of ales & friendly locals. (Not its closed on Mondays).

Cheers, Brian

• 1 month later...

I went to Chester and back yesterday (from near Tattenhall) and it wasn't frozen in the main channel but small areas near the edges in reeds etc had an ever so slight crust of ice on them. Today was a different matter, however! The canal itself seems to be least affected, but there is still significant ice on it. Winding hole was frozen; marina and its junction was quite significantly frozen up to around 1cm thick, which made moving the boat difficult. I made it (just) to the shop/hut in the middle (for some coal) but simply couldn't turn the boat tightly into the actual berth to fill up with diesel - the ice was too thick. I had to reverse the boat out of the marina and continue my (short) journey in reverse. Mooring was difficult, had to break ice to get into the side. I gave up trying to pull the boat with the middle rope in to the side (I was on my own so secured the stern first) so I had to get back on, 'throw' the bow rope to the bank (not so easy when its frozen into a solid line) and I could pull the front in okay.

On the way home, Hargrave looks passable with a middle channel not frozen; Waverton/Egg Bridge is patchy in places; areas of Chester are free of ice; and beyond Chester is definitely fully frozen. So you'd be icebreaking most of the way there etc.

Believe it has over on the shroppie by TAttenhall looks like my weekly outing to the shady oak is out of question

Forget my last post!

My spies tell me that Overwater Marina is now a no go area where ice is concerned :help:

Not too bad in Overwater, went over for a pump out & water earlier today, some thin ice but no real problem !

Hi Alf,

Is it still navigable over there at Overwater?

We're due for a pump-out and even though we have a self pump-out facility, I'm inclined to reverse down from the village to use the marina's machine instead (because I'm lazy) :blush:

We might venture down there today, especially if it's snowing, we love the snow. Seriously, we do!

Two wrinkly kids at heart.

Forgot to add that we met Simon, one of the marina engineers yesterday and he said the ice was quite thick on the marina.

Edited by Doorman

It's mostly all melted now Doorman, bit windy though

Hi,

not where I'm looking from out of our window looking over the fields of Audlem. It's stunning here when the snow arrives. We're off to the village with our daft dog and no doubt he'll enjoy the white stuff too!

I suppose the ice thickness is relative, it was about 1/2 inch thick by the island, but mostly clear elsewhere, the pump out mooring & entrance were free of ice so shouldnt be a problem getting in from the cut.

Thanks Alf,

Janet kindly phoned us earlier with an update and to check whether we were snowed in up at the village. We're not at the minute, but hopefully we will be after tonight.

We love it! :cheers: